Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: New Mold 311467

Boolit Grand Master

New Mold 311467

I picked up a decent condition single cavity Lyman 311467 mold with
    handles today for $35.

Anyone have experience with this design? I have read that the Loverin designs
    are good, but I have not tried one yet. Is it normal to fill all the grooves with
    lube or just the ones inside the case neck?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    A Lot of old timers swear by this in the 30-06. It was very well thought of back in the 60's when I was a whippersnapper.
    I bought a 2 cavity and gave it a spin, but I was not very impressed. I got better results with the little brothers, the 311-466 and 311-465. My 30-40 Winchester 1895 shot it OK, but not great.My 06 didn't care for it at all-- groups ran in the 2-3 inch range, half again larger than the 311-644 groups out of that rifle.
    However, YMMV, your gun(s) may like it better, You may be a better caster, and your Ideal might be better than my Lyman. Good luck

Boolit Master
    I am interested in opening a 338 mold to 348 or 350. has anyone ever did anything like this. I don't know how hard it would be to make a cutter to fit the groves in the mold and it could be expanded inside the mold. they make expansion reamers. my idea is to turn a body the size of the inside of the mold and fit it with a cutter that can be forced out by screwing the shank into the body. could be made with opposing cutters. the halves of the mold could be clamped together and the grooves opened up in a milling machine. you would end up with deep grease grooves in the bullet, but if it works it would make a wide variety of molds available for the odd sizes that are expensive and limited. anybody ever try this?
    Last edited by flounderman; 12-19-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Try Eric at Hollowpoinmolds.com or our own buckshot. Either of those guys can open a mold up for you. Not sure how they'd feel about opening one up that much, but I'm sure it can be done.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I have both the 311466 and 467 both shoot well although not the best groups I have shot.I only lube the bottom two or three grooves.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the info on 467 mold. It will be probably spring before I will have time to work
    with it. I always assumed that you filled all the lube grooves, but then you have exposed
    lube to pick up dirt and grit, which doesn't sound too good.

Bill

Boolit Master

My 311467 works great in the .30/06. I size to .310 and lube three grooves. I've HP'd mine but tend to shoot lighter bullets./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep....I kinda like mine too ! !

I had my mold Hp'd by Erik. I can make a medium depth HP , a deep Hp, a flat point like the 311407, a cup point , or a plain based 311467 for plinking all from the same 2 cav. mold.

Here are some photos:

Here is a photo of the flat point pin in position in the mold :

Here are flat points that have been cast with ACWW's :

Here is the deep HP pin in position , the HP pin extends .450 " deep into the mold cavity :

Here are deep HP bullets cast from ACWW's :

This photo shows the " Cup Point " HP pin in position :

Here are " Cup Point HP Bullets cast from ACWW's ;

A close up of the " Cup Point " :

I like to shoot my .30 cal. cast bullets sized to .310 ".
    I pushed these " nose 1st " through my Lee sizer die that I've honed out to .310".

Last edited by Ben; 12-21-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ben,

Thanks for the excellent post and really great pictures! Mine is a single cav, maybe I'll
    HP the mold after I spend some time with the original configuration. Your boolits are very
    nice looking, and that is sure a nice group!

Bill

Boolit Master

Ben and GLL have the deadly dual-capabilities of: casting beautiful (perfect and shiny) bullets along with taking incredible photographs! They both make me want to buy more moulds!!!

mtgun44 - That 311467 is one of my wanted moulds. It's a matter of running into one for a good price like you did, because I'm happy with what I've got, but it's good to hear others who keep their eyes peeled run into these now and then. Gives me hope.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Grand Master
    Look Fellas,

If I can do it, a cave man can do it.

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Look Fellas,

If I can do it, a cave man can do it.

Ben
    You haven't seen how hairy I am and how low my knuckles drag, have you?!?
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.