MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stocking a Mauser

Boolit Mold

Stocking a Mauser

Greetings all:

I am having a custom .25-06 built on a 1940 Mauser action with a Douglas barrel and Timney trigger (also open sights and quick release scope mounts).
    The project can't be completed until the the rifle is stocked. The project is as far as it can go, barreled, blued, etc. without the stock. However the stock is proving to be a problem. I knew it would be. The setup/look I am going for is a Griffin & Howe look.
    None of the stock companies have what I'm looking for, at least in an unmodified finished form.
    What I'm looking for basically is an oiled walnut stock with pistol grip and forend checkering possibly with a schnabel forend. The schnabel is negotiable but the checkering is not.
    Can any one help with this issue? Is there a decent ready to go stock out there or a company anyone would suggest.

Thanks all!

Boolit Master
    First issue, is why is the gun Blued before fitting Any stock.
    It is always best to fit the wood to the metal Before you blue the metal.
    There is far less chance of messing up a perfect bluing job by fitting or even bedding your stock.

Moderator Emeritus

Lags is right, and if you're looking for a special stock, and want to start with a semi-finished piece of wood, try Richards Micro-Fit. They have quite a few styles to choose from. My favorite is generally the "Old Classic," but the results are all in who does the fitting and final sanding/shaping. And they've given me good response when I've specified something like "marblecake figure and color contrast," too, and I like that. I've heard good and bad about all the stock companies, I think, and I've had to conclude that your ability to tell the order taker EXACTLY what you want is a big part of getting what you want delivered. So I'd take a little time and prep and write up EXACTLY what you want your piece of wood to look like and be colored like. And nobody can tell if any given piece of wood has flaws inside it that don't show on the outside, so it's really not their fault if you find that. Most of those, fortunately, are pretty easily fixed, and easy enough that that's generally preferable to sending it back. With any natural product, like wood, these things are really kind'a inevitable, sooner or later, and if you ever have a problem, I've found that dealing with them in a business-like and pretty friendly manner tends to get better responses from the vender, FWIW? Really good wood is getting more and more scarce. I remember Jack O'Conner saying some 50 years ago or so that he always wished he'd stocked up on AT&T stock and good, figured hardwoods after the war. You can multiply that by about 10 now! Good luck, and don't hurry the job up, let it proceed at the pace IT wants to go, and you'll be very proud of your work, I believe. The biggest and most common "mistake" so many make is trying to do a great job "in a hurry." I have yet to see that manner of proceeding really give the kind of results the maker wanted in the end. That goes double for finishing the stock, too.

Sounds like a mighty fine project! Please give us pics when you're done. And I got a tip from a friend who knows the guy, and for checkering, if you're not going to do it yourself, try the fellow at classiccheckering.com. I really love his fleur de lis! YMMV on the style thing, though. Artistic stuff will always vary according to the viewer.

IME, a non-factory (and some factory) barreled action(s) will need to be fitted to any stock you can lay your paws on.

Is not your rifle builder capable of also doing the stock you want ?

IME, the "Griffin & Howe" style stock is typically one with a black (horn or ebony) forend tip; the R.F. Sedgley style typically had a schnabel FE tip.

If the builder cannot accommodate your desires, Numrich has a Mauser 98 checkered stock with a Schnabel FE.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I doubt you will be able to find a drop-in G&H style stock. If you are able to do some simple stock work, Walnut Grove Gun Stocks has 2 partly inletted and shaped G&H styles. One has the comb shaped for scope use, and the other for open sights.

Boolit Grand Master

See if you can find Great American Gunstocks site
    Charter Member #148

I like that Numrich stock! Being a long neck fellow; I can appreciate that hog back.

FWIW:

The Great American Gunstock Co. is no longer manufacturing gunstocks.

We have a limited inventory of stocks which we are selling at reduced prices and you can reach us at the following number: (530) 632-9834
    Most of the assets--machinery, patterns, tooling, etc. have been purchased by:

Walnut Grove Gunstocks
    711 Hale Rd.
    Weiser, Idaho 83673
    (208) 549-1323

http://www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com/

You can contact them about your custom gunstock needs....
    (Henry L. Pohl)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

EGreis, I'm curious as to what load in the 25-06 you will sight in the irons for? An iron sighted 25-06 is a rare bird indeed and kudos to you for doing it.

Boolit Master
    I liked the shape and execution of the Richards Micro-fit Old Classic I bought for my M1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. The wood was pretty good, but I paid for exhibition grade walnut. It was some way short of that and some way short of their pictures, and I have heard others say the same.

Boolit Buddy
    Go here:
    http://www.mausercentral.net/index.p...a62c00163b7838
    and make contact with "inthe10ring". I believe he will be able to hook you up with what you want. He does fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodean98 View Post
    Go here:
    http://www.mausercentral.net/index.p...a62c00163b7838
    and make contact with "inthe10ring". I believe he will be able to hook you up with what you want. He does fantastic work.
    DITTO- I am in the process of putting together a Husky M96, with one of his stocks. I have only spoken with him on the phone, plan to pick up my stock in 2 weeks. He is also doing some work on my bolt. hc18flyer

In Remembrance

I`ll probably have people throwing `road apples` at me for this, but take a look at Boyd`s gunstocks that can be gotten in 4 grades of walnut.Robert

I've stocked an O3A3 and a P14 with the Richards MicroFit Old Classic. In both cases the wood was gorgeous but there was a flaw in shaping or inletting that had to be fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Both of these are Boyd's stocks.
    They are the "same" Pre Finished Mauser stocks.
    The bottom one is one that I removed the finish and did a little customizing to sharpen up the lines on the cheek peice and add a little detail at the Bolt stop and Ejection port plus the recoil pad.
    I also added a Ebony Nose cap to the lower one as well a a grip cap.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-22-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I would check with Walnut Grove Gunstocks in Weiser first, see what they have and what they can do for you.
    Richards has worked for me when doing budget stocks, but I have heard a lot of people have trouble with them. Kinda pays your money and takes your chances.
    Doing one from scratch can be a tough go for a first time project. Really depends on your wood working skills and time. I do like the look of the Numrich Arms stock...I have not seen that one before. I might pick up a few of those for some stuff I am putting together.
    What ever you get, pre-inletted semi finished or just a block of wood, take your time. Don't get in a hurry. Keep your tools sharp and clean. Use excellent lighting and solid support. Don't use too much caffeine or alcohol. Take the project seriously, with professional intent, and you will wind up with a stock you are proud of.
    Best wishes.
    re