MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Advice from a rookie...

Advice from a rookie...

I've only been casting a Lil over a year and a half. I read a lot on this forum before I got started and learned a lot from it. Here's a few little things I learned or found to be helpful after casting a little while.

Started out with iron 2 cavity and aluminum 5 cavity molds. I prefer aluminum because it gets up to temperature quicker and because I don't have to put a rust preventative in the cavities, and then have to clean them before use. 5-cavity molds increase production quite a bit over 2-cavity.

When you get a new mold, clean it well and apply anti-seize, to all the bolts and screws. Makes for easier disassembly later.

Preheat your molds. I made a sheetmetal oven to sit on top of a hotplate that gets molds up to 350 degrees. Usually have good boolits right off the bat. Until the mold is up to temperature, you will just be casting for practice, not making boolits.

Designing boolits is above my pay grade. My first was okay, but not any better than anything else. Number two was a flop, at least for use in the intended caliber. There are enough RN-FP designs out there that work already.
    Last edited by Solothurn; 04-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for sharing. I have to wonder if you are casting for pistol or rifle. Or do you even think it would make a difference? I have never been bit with the desire to design my own mold. There are so many different styles already in existence that it seems a little unlikely I will ever try. I have looked through the catalogs and wondered just why that particular design was even tried though. I guess some of us just need to try it and see. I am guilty of that. Dusty

Both, but mostly pistol.

Boolit Master

The selection of .265 and .277 bullets has led me to contemplating designing a bullet. Very limited in those fields.

Sound advice though. Plug every the hot plate in and pot. Then go do a 30 minute cardio work out. It will all be hot by the time you get back.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
    ...Snip... I read a lot on this forum before I got started and learned a lot from it. ...Snip...
    Best advice of the whole OP for anyone, IMO.

Although the rest seems pretty sound as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I just rest my molds on the lip of the furnace.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I just rest my molds on the lip of the furnace.
    Me too...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

I use the lip of the pot to preheat my molds mostly because I'm too cheap to plug in the hot plate and use more electricity
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

That's a good post Solothurn. I am maybe a few months ahead of you in the learning curve. I've been a reloader for much longer, but I'm just beginning to learn the art and alchemy of boolit casting.

I find that molds and cast boolits are extremely interesting.

Some times I preheat my molds with a propane torch. Quick and easy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    The selection of .265 and .277 bullets has led me to contemplating designing a bullet. Very limited in those fields.

Sound advice though. Plug every the hot plate in and pot. Then go do a 30 minute cardio work out. It will all be hot by the time you get back.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    If I was to do a 30 minute cardio work out I would be ready for a NAP