RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swage lube

Boolit Buddy
    I am still running the 50/50 mix lanolin / castor oil, by weight, and it does all my draw and swage requirements. Temp of the reloading room has a lot to do with the thickness of this brew.
    Cleaning is done in two tins of Shelite. For jackets that have been drawn and trimmed and ready for core seating, it is a pre rinse in a tin which gets 90% of the lube off and then a dip in unused Shelite to make them spotless. Jackets are then tumbled lubed in 1000 lots. The used Shelite that now contains a bit of lanolin is used to pre lube my cut cores prior to swaging them to weight. I dip the cores and then let them dry. This ensures each core has the same amount of lube and I do not need to tumble them to lube them. Once swaged the cores are dipped in the prerinse tin and then in unused Shelite to make them ready for seating. I now do every thing 1000 at a time.
    the used Shelite can be filtered a bit through a rag to get the core swaging "fines" out of it if you want.

Bill
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Has anyone ever tried the lanolin/ISO-HEET (99% Isopropanol) mixture as a swage lube or will this be to light?
    Maybe add more lanolin than alcohol?
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Boolit Buddy
    Shelite that has a bit of lanolin in it is what I use to Swage cores. The Shelite evaporites off and leaves a very thin film on the core . Every core is consistent that way. Tumbling works just as well but using a liquid that evaporates quickly means I can get on with it. I think the alcohol /lanolin mix would be way to thin for heavy swaging and drawing and would not stand up well at all. That said you could give it a go, you do not need a lot of lube for the core seat and point form but do not go too little as you do not want a stuck projectile. When core seating you do not want lube inside the jacket. That is why I tumble the jackets for the core seat and PF
    Bill

Banned
    Help Me, H e l p m e. I swage 22 rim fire bullets. I want to powder coat them with only gloss clear powder coat. I love the shiny lead finish but I need to clean the swage lube off of them first (I use Lee Case Lube). Does anyone know what I can clean them with that will leave them shiny? Or am I asking the impossible?

Boolit Buddy
    Are you making a lead tip??? If you are making projectiles out of 22 cases they are not" shiny lead". Sorry if I am mis-understanding what you are after. Why powder coat?

Bill.S

I think he is swaging the bullets themselves for use in re-loading or pulling the factory bullets and loading his swaged bullets into .22LR cases. That is, he is swaging heel based bullets.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills Shed View Post
    Are you making a lead tip??? If you are making projectiles out of 22 cases they are not" shiny lead". Sorry if I am mis-understanding what you are after. Why powder coat?

Bill.S
    I am swaging 40 grain 22lr bullets from 9-10 bhn lead. I use them in reloading 22lr and for loading some of the Eley primed 22lr cases that I have. They come out really nice. I use a very small amt of Lee case lube for swaging them. I do not want to powder coat over even the tiniest layer of lube, so I need to clean them first. I love the "fresh out of the die" swaged bullet color of raw shiny lead and bought some clear gloss powder coat for them. My question is, "what can they be cleaned with to keep that really nice mirror bright lead shine?". Here are some bullets made earlier. They are nicer now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holdbullet.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	205675
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pintip.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	205677

Boolit Buddy
    I use "dawn" dish soap for cores, Corbin's lube for everything else.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123