Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap & Ball Revolver vs. Modern Handgun Qualification Course

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Fun video, and good shooting. I'd like to see Jerry Michelek do the exercise!
    Now that would be something!

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Now that would be something!

HRF
    Only if he was wearing a blindfold! LOL!

Boolit Master
    I'd like to shoot that course with a pair of 1860 Armys worked over by our own .45 Dragoon, but then he does do '58s, too. Of course, it was only 20 years ago when I showed up at an NRA pistol and shotgun instructor course and was the only one shooting a revolver, a pair of 4" S&W 686s. Qualified first day, too. Of course I could actually see then. It would be fun to be able to talk one or two of the local LEA orgs to let some of us show up and shoot their courses of fire as long as we could use the New York reload as our speed loaders. It might actually inspire some of the Glock carriers to aim and squeeze a little better. Any way they'd allow it I bet it would be fun. GF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I'd like to shoot that course with a pair of 1860 Armys worked over by our own .45 Dragoon, but then he does do '58s, too. Of course, it was only 20 years ago when I showed up at an NRA pistol and shotgun instructor course and was the only one shooting a revolver, a pair of 4" S&W 686s. Qualified first day, too. Of course I could actually see then. It would be fun to be able to talk one or two of the local LEA orgs to let some of us show up and shoot their courses of fire as long as we could use the New York reload as our speed loaders. It might actually inspire some of the Glock carriers to aim and squeeze a little better. Any way they'd allow it I bet it would be fun. GF
    Anything that would inspire some of the youngsters to actually employ some marksmanship would be appreciated! One of my greater annoyances is the fact that police academies these days seem to churn out young officers who can fire off pistol shots at the cyclic rate of an M16, but whether or not they manage to hit anything is an "iffy" proposition. Presently, everything is about speed. Accuracy is a concept that seems to take too much time and effort to teach.

HRF

Boolit Master
    Here in GA the private detectives and security officers used to have to qualify out to 25 yards in order to qualify/requalify with their handgun with a 70% pass score on the B21 target. This caused problems for the companies so they brow beat the state board into decreasing the distance to 15 yards and they still have problems. I have witnessed local sheriff's deputies trying to requalify for annual certification that could not keep all rounds on a B21 at 7 yards with a Glock. GF

I never got the cap&ball bug. I had no interest in them unless they were originals, and then not to
    shoot. I use to pick them up for practically nothing on trades back in 60s & 70s. My old man liked to
    play with them so I gave them to him when I got one. He shot up a storm with them. When Ruger
    Old Army came out I bought him one. From that point on that was his main shooter. The difference
    was night and day for accuracy. Ruger Old Army is no doubt the best C&B revolver ever made, it was
    just 100+ years to late in coming. The same can be said about Ruger Black Hawk series vs Colt SAs.
    From the practical standpoint Rugers SAs are hard to beat. Although I don't buy the New Models with
    transfer bar action, they are still the top SAs.

Boolit Master

Good video.

I just stumbled on to your 1894 video a couple days ago. I'm a big 1894 fan and a big 357 fan.
    I sent the video to my buddy and said "that's it I'm selling my AR!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Good video.

I just stumbled on to your 1894 video a couple days ago. I'm a big 1894 fan and a big 357 fan.
    I sent the video to my buddy and said "that's it I'm selling my AR!"
    Thank you, and thanks for watching!

HRF

Boolit Master
    My wife and I actively participated cowboy action shooting (SASS life member) for about 10 years. We both shot well broken in Rossi .45 Colts, she a carbine and I a 24" octagon barreled rifle. We always said that if the Democrats ever found out how accurately and fast folks could shoot lever rifles with full power loads they would immediately try to ban them.

As a youth in AZ (many, many moons ago) most lawmen I knew had a lever carbine, usually a model '92 in .44-40, in their vehicle. It was enough then and I'm sure that it would be enough now, certainly in the average urban/suburban LEA situation. If you examine the stats for actual LEA long gun encounters almost all of them would easily be handled by a pistol caliber rifle, or a scoped .30-30 at the longest. One of the new Marlin stainless .357s with a Ranch Dog 175 grain RNFP over a healthy load of H110 would end most situations promptly. In good light an aperture sight would be fine. That's not what the LEA gun industry want publicized, of course. Why, you might even have to make a conscious thought between one shot and another. Heaven forbid! GF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Be careful what you wish for ! I understand cap and ball dont need rego or special permission in a lot of places . ?
    Well we used to have that too. In the state of Victoria you could walk in any gunshop and buy one no questions asked - they were a replica firearm and considered harmless - this in a country where handguns have always been tightly regulated - all good until some showoff idiot at a muzzle loader shoot swaggered out with a pair of dragoon colts in holsters and proceeded to deliver all twelve into a tree stump - disintegrated the stump - the local press was there as witness - two weeks later the politicians had their legislation in place banning cap and ball replicas without a licence .
    So you gonna do a u tube video qualifying a glock police course with a pair of tuned up cap guns ? I have heard of dumber ideas but I dont remember when.
    Last edited by indian joe; 10-15-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master

Cap and ball revolver

Great shooting! nice video, thanks for posting.

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Brother! You're going to fit in nicely around here!
    Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

I carried a Colt pocket pistol replica as a teenager on the farm, it took a good number of rabbits, and squirels. For a while I carried a number of different cap, and ball revolvers EDC. I stopped because if used in SD they would be ruined sitting in a police evidence locker uncleaned. I too shot my K frame duty revolvers SA, not just on the range but on duty. There is no safety issue with proper discipline, IOW DO NOT cock until that point where deadly force is justified.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    remember you are only outgunned if you miss.

Boolit Master
    Nice video. I like it. But when I used to do police work, we had to fire 50 rounds, double action only to qualify. One stage even had you fire 18 rounds in a set time limit at multiple targets that rotated in and out after so many seconds. Thus a cap and ball revolver wouldn't have worked for their course, unless it was maybe a cap and ball Starr type of revolver.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    Great shooting! nice video, thanks for posting.
    You're welcome. Thanks for watching!

HRF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Brother! You're going to fit in nicely around here!
    Semper Fi, Treetop

Thanks Treetop. Semper Fi!

HRF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Nice video. I like it. But when I used to do police work, we had to fire 50 rounds, double action only to qualify. One stage even had you fire 18 rounds in a set time limit at multiple targets that rotated in and out after so many seconds. Thus a cap and ball revolver wouldn't have worked for their course, unless it was maybe a cap and ball Starr type of revolver.
    The course here used to be much more challenging too. It was changed by the state several years ago, and this is what we have now. I'm not a big fan of it.

HRF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12