MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TiteWad for .38 special and 45 acp?

TiteWad for .38 special and 45 acp?

I looked up loads and the velocity seems low. Does anyone use this powder for these cartridges?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    TiteWAD is a shotgun powder . titeGROUP is a handgun powder. I know some people have experimented with it, but I don't think I've ever seen an official handgun load for TiteWAD.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    I do....I use 4.0 grains in the .45 ACP with a 200 SWC cast bullet and 3.5 grains in the .38 Spl with a 158 WC cast bullet. The ACP load gives me 850 FPS muzzle velocity; the .38 Spl at 800 FPS. It meters superbly and is fluffier than Bullseye, which I like.

Boolit Master
    A friend runs 3.5 grains in .38 Spl with 158's. and the same charge in .45 ACP with 230's

How about accuracy?

I have used Titewad in 38 special for target wadcutter loads. It worked fine there with good accuracy.
    I also used it in 9mm with light weight boolits and it works fine there also.
    Have not tried it in 45ACP yet but I have plenty of other powders for pistol usage now.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try it in 9mm Luger first.

I have loaded up .45acp with titewad, worked fine. Slightly different smell than my usual Red Dot. Good accuracy, nice clean cases, no issues, no problems. Thrifty. Does not take much titewad.

But in the long run it seemed to have no real advantages over Red Dot. So I switched back.

But I would no no issues about using it up or buying more.

Boolit Master
    I find that my Titewad loads are every bit as accurate as with using Bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    How about accuracy?

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of Red Dot. I find that Titewad is even better for four reasons...burns cleaner (less residue), meters much better (more accurately) , you can use a little less, and it is cheaper.....(8lbs Titewad @ $117.5/8 lbs of Red Dot $132.95 at Powder Valley)--and a bonus...it is fluffier for better case fill. I only switched to Titewad when he had that dreadful powder shortage and Red Dot was impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have loaded up .45acp with titewad, worked fine. Slightly different smell than my usual Red Dot. Good accuracy, nice clean cases, no issues, no problems. Thrifty. Does not take much titewad.

But in the long run it seemed to have no real advantages over Red Dot. So I switched back.

But I would no no issues about using it up or buying more.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I will try it in 9mm Luger first.

The Hodgdon data site has a tiny bit of data for Titewad in 9mm posted. It will give you a place to start.

Boolit Master
    I have tested Titewad in my 9mm 92SS....3.0 grains with a Lee 125 RN/120 TC gives me around 1,000 FPS. I tried using a slightly larger charge and there was little velocity gain...so I stopped there at 3.0 grains. It is accurate and now ejection issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The Hodgdon data site has a tiny bit of data for Titewad in 9mm posted. It will give you a place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I have tested Titewad in my 9mm 92SS....3.0 grains with a Lee 125 RN/120 TC gives me around 1,000 FPS. I tried using a slightly larger charge and there was little velocity gain...so I stopped there at 3.0 grains. It is accurate and now ejection issues.
    I was loading the 95 grain Lee RF boolit over 3.8 grains for my Beretta 92FS and got 1150. For some reason this was a very soft shooting load. Almost no felt recoil.

I went with 3.4 grains of titewad under I 24grain Full Metal Jacket flat point bullet. The test loads I shot were fine.

Banned

titegroup IS a shotgun powder.
    it's better in shot guns then it is in handgun loads.

I suspect titewad is better in the handgun loads than it is in the shot shell applications.
    it burns similarly to red-dot.

Boolit Master
    I agree...similar to Red Dot, but it is fluffier and more accurately dispenses in a powder measure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    titegroup IS a shotgun powder.
    it's better in shot guns then it is in handgun loads.

I suspect titewad is better in the handgun loads than it is in the shot shell applications.
    it burns similarly to red-dot.
    Um, I think that is reversed.. Titegroup is a temperature insensitive-position insensitive Pistol powder that has a few light loads listed for Rifle also.. I've used it in 9mm, 40 S&W, 10 mm, 41 mag, 38 spl, 45 acp, and 45 long colt. There is limited load data for .223, 30-30, and 308.. (and maybe a few other rifle cartridges).

Titewad is a low charge weight shotgun target powder with some limited data for pistols..

I must have read that 5 times and didn't catch that.
    That is how I ended up with my first bottle of Titwad.

So- TiteGROUP is more like Bullseye and TiteWAD is like RedDot? More or less? I won't cross load data; just trying to imprint in my mind.

Boolit Master
    I would argue that Titewad is a tad faster than even Red Dot... but slower than Bullseye.. I've found Bullseye to sometimes be position sensitive. I've gotten very consistent results with Titegroup.. in some cases in the single digit ES range depending on primer used. It's all sort of moot at that fast a burn rate.. I can use Titewad to launch very light 12 gauge loads with a tad less powder than Red Dot.. I was using it way back when to load light recoil and standard pressure loads... 7/8 oz of lead at 1200 fps.. which would cycle my Browning Gold.. Red dot required another grain or two above Titewad for the same performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast