MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a .308 hunting rifle.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an older BLR in 308. It will be the last rifle to leave me. Accuracy is good enough with a cold bore 5 shot group averaging 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Mine is light enough to pack all day, and the trigger is decent if not benchrest quality. I have killed, Moose, Elk, Whitetail and Mule Deer, Antelope, coyotes, rabbits, badgers, ground squirrels, grouse and probably some other stuff as well. I own enough guns I don't need target accuracy from this one just a repeatable 350 yard shooter.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I was about to purchase a Tikka when I saw a deal on the Thompson Compass. After reading the reviews I took a chance on it. Purchased two, and after FFL and the rebate these rifles will be $212.50 each! Decided to get one for my son as well.

They are definitely inferior in fit and finish to the Tikka but if they meet my accuracy standard they will be decent hunting guns. I hope both will be good enough, but if not, I will take the worst one and send it to JES and rebore/rechamber to .358.

Thanks to all for your opinions and sharing your experiences. I would not have even considered the Compass without it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Gotta let us know how it turns out.

Banned

Ive got a stainless model 7 308 and a Kimber montana 308 both are accurate and light.

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty it aint but for a hunting rifle, itll work just fine

Do yourself a favor and check out Brownell's Howa 1500 barreled actions, they currently have 308 barreled actions on sale (around $300 bucks), you can then pick and choose what kind of stock you want to add (Boyd's, B&C, and any stock made for the Weatherby Vanguards). These actually are the same actions used in the Weatherby Vanguard's). I recently picked one up in 308 heavy fluted 20" barrel for my next project BR rifle. Comes with their new HACT trigger.

Boolit Bub
    Browning and you cannot go wrong. I have an A Bolt and X Bolt and very pleased.

Around post #42 the op bought two T/C compass rifles, guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Well how did the compass do?

Boolit Master
    I must be the odd man out. My deer rifle is a Sako 75 Hunter with the detachable mag. Heavy rifle and I had to have the stock shortened and a recoil pad installed. It's a '06 and my handloads easily shoot less than a inch at 100 yds. I use the 165 Nosler ballistic tip,federal brass, 55.5 grs IMR 4350 and a CCI magnum primer. Chronographed velocity is a bit over 2800 fps. Funny thing is that rifle thinks it's a target rifle. I have some Lake City M72 match ammo. No change in sighting in and the M72 shoots right along with my hand loads despite the M72 slightly lower velocity about 2650 fps and a slightly heavier bullet 172 grs versus 165 grains. Stopped hunting due to health reasons but that Sako has over 1100 rounds down the tube and still shoots moa or slightly better. Seriously thinking about cast bullets for the Sako. Frank

Boolit Master
    I get a kick out of shooting sub MOA groups with my .308 using cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Ruger Scout in 308 mine is MOA accurate gives options for Scope mounting; Conventional or Scout Scope and it is Light handi and reliable. Savage makes one as does Mossberg these carbines shoot with enough accuracy and athority to take Elk as I have done with my Ruger Scout. I like my laminated stock as it's very stable. As far as flash hider goes I replaced mine with a Muzzle brake, I like it, it reduces recoil for those who do not like them simply remove them and put the thread protector on.

http://ruger.com/products/scoutRifle/models.html
    Don: this right here. Mine has been consistent Sub MOA out ot 500M with the first and only load tried. 147 gr M80 Ball Pulls with 45.0 gr of IMR 4895. It will do the same with 150 gr hunting bullets.

Mine currently has a 3-9x Leupold VX R mounted in a GG&G one piece mount on an XS full length rail. The gun is a joy to shoot.

The 16" barrel on these guns is no hindrance whatsoever and makes a handier package, I have a Smith Enterprises MB mounted in place of the Flash Hider.

There are 3,5,and 10 round Polymer magazines available for these guns from Ruger. Don't mess with the steel ones.

I have reloaded my original 100 AE cases 13 times now and they just keep going and going.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Since we have revived this old thread I have to show Mine. I really like my Savage Hog Hunter. Attachment 251539
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

I like my pre-64 M70 FWT. It has always seemed very accurate and pretty easy to carry. Has both scope and leather sling. When checking weight, do you include sling? Loaded rifle with ammo?

My first brand new CF rifle was a pre 64 M70FW in .308. I still have it and it will do a 1" at 100yds. I have had a 6x scope on it since new and only change I made was to upgrade to a Leuplod from a Weaver K6.

Boolit Master

I too would like to know how the .308 Compass performed.

I currently shoot a Savage 99C and it is accurate but I have been keeping my eye open for a bolt action .308 and that Compass sounds very interesting to me.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master
    Personally I would stick with the model 70
    you can get either a featherweight or compact
    if weight is your main concern, the new triggers
    are excellent I own 4 model 70's 1 super grade 30-06
    2 featherweights 22-250 and 280 ackley and 1 compact
    in 358 win
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Well how did the compass do?
    It is amazing. Sub MOA for 5 shot groups. 165 Sierra GameKings, 44 gr Varget, Win LRP, Lake City cases. COAL 2.760

This is a maximum load and others need to work up to determine if safe in their gun.

I put a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 scope on it that cost nearly double what I spent on the rifle...but good optics are not cheap.

Very pleased with it and would buy another.
    Last edited by dverna; 11-22-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    Don Verna

Banned

ive got two I really like. A stainless model 7 rem and a Kimber montana. If I wanted a cheap one that would about be guaranteed to be a shooter id look at a ruger American. Not pretty but they have a decent trigger and ive yet to see one that didn't shoot. Truth be told id take one over a 77.

Banned
    This is an old thread but I just want to toss in my $0.02 worth.

The 308 Winchester is one of my all time favorite cartridges. It is just an amazingly versatile cartridge. Fits in a short action, accurate, powerful, lots of bullet options - It does it all. (the 7mm-08 is right there with it and the 7mm Mauser still holds a place in my heart as well)

While I'm not in the hunting game much anymore, - you can't go wrong with a good bolt action rifle chambered in 308 Win.

As for a hunting rifle, we have far more choices today than ever before.
    Synthetic stocks and stainless steel are HUGE assets for a weapon that is carried in all types of weather.
    The optics that are available are excellent. And many of the new rifles available are capable of 1 M.O.A. right out of the box.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast