Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun shell reloading for a newbie

Boolit Mold

Shotgun shell reloading for a newbie

I just purchased a vintage lee loader from 1964. I am going to use it to load 12 gauge for skeet, target , and small game( rabbits and birds). Does any one have any advice that i could use? Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Purchase the Lyman Shotgun Reloading book and read it http://www.midwayusa.com/product/887...ProductFinding

Boolit Buddy
    Use Remington gun clubs for hulls. I like downrange wads. Promo powder for light loads and Green Dot and Longshot for heavier loads. Any primer and shot you can find. Get on the "Shotgun World" website and you'll have tons of info. Get the lyman shotgun loading handbook. You'll be good to go.

Floyd

Boolit Mold
    Ok, thanks. I've been looking around all night and was having trouble finding good information. Where can i buy lead shot at? I'm looking for #7 or 7 1/2. The only place i can find it is at a bass pro which wants $55 for 25lbs. Any tips for that?

Boolit Grand Master

Some trap ad skeet clubs reclaim the used shot from the ranges every few years. Cleaned it is a mix of 7-8 1/2s butit is much cheaper than new shot

Boolit Mold
    Thanks alot! This is really helping me out guys

Boolit Buddy
    I get most of my shotgun supplies online from Recobs target shop. Shop around for shot. $45 a 25# bag isn't too to bad these days. Reclaimed is cheaper if you can find it. Cabelas and BassPro will not be cheap on anything.

Floyd

Use 7/8 oz loads for trap and skeet. More shot = longer shot string. Most birds are missed by being behind them and a longer shot string won't help out any there. Its not hard but remember that shotguns operate at a much lower pressure than pistols and rifles. Target loads don't need to be any more than 1100-1200 fps. Shot looses velocity rather quickly and the faster it starts out the faster it slows down, to a point. Higher pressure loads have a better chance of damaging the shot upon firing which won't help your patterns.

Oh yea, the lyman book is great.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Banned

Wow! Does bird shot cost that much? I guess I don't really track it since I don't shoot shotguns much. I have been dabbling in geting stuff together to load slugs.

With shot costing that much, not to mention powder and primers lately, can a guy reload something basic like skeet and trap loads cheaper than the big 100 packs of those you can buy at Wal Mart? I understand the wanting to do it yourself and if that's the case, go for it, I like to tinker with reloading tasks too.

I have a couple of Lee loaders for 12 gauge, haven't used either in a long time. One is one a friend of mine had when were were kids and we used to load shells with it. Seems like I remember screwing up a lot of crimps with them until you develop the knack for doing it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Purchase the Lyman Shotgun Reloading book and read it http://www.midwayusa.com/product/887...ProductFinding
    X-2. You need the information to sort out the myriad questions of how to identify and match the case to the wad to the powder and shot. The process is not difficult, but painfully slow with the old mallet style loader. The Lyman book contains the information you will need in an easily understandable format. Get it and read it. You will thank Mary B afterwards.

Boolit Master

Cost depends on how much you are going to shoot. So, reloading shotshell occasionally is not much cheaper than Walmart 100 packs, buuut, now it depends which shell your going to buy.
    I reload almost.every kind of shotshell and have my preferences, Rem gun clubs, Rem sts, Fed top gun for throw aways. My Franchi Alcione has fixed chokes, so for shooting sporting clays I modify my loads accordingly. I build spreader loads for the full and modified barrels. Now, reloading the shell is much cheaper. It all depends what your uses are.

I found in average you save about a buck a box.

But its fun and a great addition to your hobby.

Check your local shot gun range. Most will let you take all the hulls you want.

Then sort out at home.

Banned

"But its fun and a great addition to your hobby."

Pretty much sums up reloading. And it's certainly a good enough reason to take it up.

Moderator Emeritus

Your profile does not show where you are located which could help with a local supplier to avoid shipping. I disagree somewhat with using 7/8, etc.. Since you will be reloading your own, use the reloading resources to tailor a load to match your shooting. I tried 1oz and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 and 8oz and a bunch of different powders. My comfort range was a load of 7 1/2's at 1 1/8 oz using International Clays and Remington wads. It is a harder hitting load but based upon my shooting style for trap it made a difference. I had a slightly different load for handicap. Find what works for you but do your research first with the manuals suggested. Good luck.

Ron
    Last edited by MrWolf; 01-03-2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Can't spell

I also say go with the Lyman book also.it will help you alot and what the difference in hulls also.I reload 4 different ga's and for what I load them the store would not have all I wanted and play with also.Also if you are in the midwest you can check out Scheels they are cheaper then Cabelas ,Scheels have the shot for last I seen $46 and Cabelas was at $52 .Also Scheels have more different size shot on hand then Cabelas.hope this would help.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Pretty much what everyone said.
    It really gets worth it reloading for the sub guns. I load 28s much cheaper than I can buy them.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Here are some resources for you. Start reading.
    Articles
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...icle_index.htm

BP Home Page
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/default.asp

Circle Fly Wads
    http://www.circlefly.com/html/welcome.html

Lanes Reloading hand tools and instructions:
    http://lane371.dotster.com/support.html
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

If you can find promotional loads on sale at about $5/box don't waste your time reloading because that's about what it will cost you if you're buying in bulk. With shot at $43/bag,powder $16.75/lb, primers@$27.35/K,wads@20.15/K a 7/8 oz. box of shells costs $4.55 ea. When they go on sale I buy many cases.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

If you are talking about the Lee Loader, simple tool yes, but you can get a resizing ring from Lee, MEC, or Lanes. The Lee Load All has a resizing ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Second the Lyman book, very good resource. I have an old Lee loader in 12ga and considered getting set up to load for my new 20ga. I did a cost analysis and realized I was buying WW Super X for the same price as components. Can't use recycled shot on my club range because it will contain 7.5's and they're banned on the skeet ranges.
    I'll invest my reloading time and equipment budget in cast boolits but as always, YMMV.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.