Thread: Magnets and Guns

Boolit Master

I just leave mine on the night stand.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I just leave mine on the night stand.
    Me too.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    [...] A magnetised gun ... may pick up filings and small debris [...]
    That's a good point; I would be hesitant anyway and this would incline me further against that direction.

Moderator Emeritus

My son has a number of these things in his office, truck and home, and he really likes them. He's a businessman, and likes things to be quick, easy and as near effortless as he can get them. These magnetic gun holders are a boon to him. He gave me one but I haven't installed it on my bed's frame yet, but will. He uses mostly a Glock 17, and keeps it with him everywhere he goes, practically. They're particularly good in a car. There's no real holster, and you can, if you angle them right, "draw" them VERY quickly and there's no arching your body to get to it. Probably the best "car holster" available, IMO. But choosing where to put them so they're not visible is important, and not all vehicles give a great choice of places to mount them.

Yeah, they might scratch a finish a little now and then, but that's what gunsmiths and refinishing processes are for, aren't they? Still, the felt and soft-grip stuff DO have merit. They don't trump security, but they still have merit. We've got to keep our priorities straight here, I think.

Boolit Master
    I had thought about using rare earth magnets as a way to hold scope mounts on antique rifles in order not to drill any holes or use adhesives and risk finish damage. However, I too thought about magnitizing the metal of firearm and attracting filings from workbench, etc. But what really convinced me was when I dropped a small tool in the dirt next to house & used a magnet to find it...the magnet was covered with magnetic "dirt"..I wondered who the heck was doing alot of grinding in that area, then it dawned on me it was natural iron in the soil! Probably not a good thing if firearm was ever laid on ground or handled with dusty hands.

Boolit Master
    I use magnets to hold magazines onto my gun safe. I just use some tape to hold the magnets in place and to prevent the magnets from coming loose when pulling off the magazines.

Other than making sure the magnet is strong enough and doesn't pull off when you grab the gun I think it would work.

Alien gear has a new holster that will convert to several carry options, and along with It, it has a mount for a fixed surface, and a level 2 retention if wanted. Might be option to avoid magnet

Boolit Master
    Providing the Night Stand is heavier than the magnets power it would be a good instant access tool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Long term on a magnet may cause some transfer to the steel of the fire arm and affect function of
    I dam near got lost deer hunting years ago. My Voere rifle's barrel was strangely very magnetic and pulled my compass needle toward it. Fortunately I hadn't strayed to far out of the way before I figured it out.

Boolit Master

Works just fine, the magnets that are sold for this purpose are very strong.

Banned
    Put it on the night stand. No chance of scratching the finish and you'll be able to grab it if you need to.

Boolit Master
    Under the pillow is very comforting when I am traveling ,

Banned
    If someone breaks in and I'm not home to show them the error of their ways, I would prefer my bedroom gun not be out in the open.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12