Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coat Piglet style VS Klass Kote

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Do you really need the second coat?
    I'm not sure. The coating looked a little thin in the uneven areas so I gave it a second coating.

The the epoxy vs. PC aspect of this thread though... So far my Klass Kote epoxy is failing:

Klass Kote sizing after a few days:

HFPC sizing after cooling down from this morning's baking session:

The epoxy may need a third coat, may need to set longer, or may need to be tumbled in HBN or graphite instead of mixing it in the paint but either way they are failing during sizing. The HFPC actually cleaned out lead I didn't know was in the sizing die. They went through very easy with only the usual amount of effort while the epoxy felt like I was about to rip the press off the bench. I will let the epoxy set a few more days and try again and if they fail then they will get dusted with lube or a third layer may be needed.

One thing is for sure though, so far the HFPC is winning. But it's ugly...

Boolit Buddy
    Just got back from the range. Both PC and Klass Kote worked well. I like the Klass kote better. I can put it on thinner than I can the PC and the boolits do not look like a teenagers face after a week of eating pizza. The trick was to size my boolits .002 over grove diameter and tumble them with just super thin coat of JPW. No leading at all after 30 shots in a rougher than average .45 acp barrel.

Picture is of my 9mm boolits I do not have a good one right now of my .45 boolits. But the look pretty much the same.
    Last edited by Lights; 07-28-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Does the JPW smoke when shot?

Boolit Master

Lights - How thin are you applying the Klass Kote and how many layers? And you tumble them in JPW the final round?

I'm finding that a much lighter dusting of powder coat the first time is looking a lot better this go around:

Boolit Buddy
    I apply just enough to wet the boolits. I do two coats. If I have too much KK in the bucket I just add more boolits or blot the ones that are in the tub. I did learn that you need to remove all of the KK left on the bucket or use a new one every time you apply it. Otherwise you will start getting thick chunks of old dry KK coming off of the dirty tube and on to your boolits. Then they will looks as ugly as the PC with zits. I thin my KK with lacquer thinner.

The JPW does not smoke at all for me. I apply a vary small amount and when the boolits are still warm from the oven.
    Last edited by Lights; 07-29-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lights View Post
    I apply just enough to wet the boolits. If applied thin enough it will not coat the lube grove. If I have too much KK in the bucket I just add more boolits or blot the ones that are in the tub. I did learn that you need to remove all of the KK left on the bucket or use a new one every time you apply it. Otherwise you will start getting thick chunks of old dry KK coming off of the dirty tube and on to your boolits. Then they will looks as ugly as the PC with zits. I thin my KK with lacquer thinner.

The JPW does not smoke at all for me. I apply a vary small amount and when the boolits are still warm from the oven.
    Are you baking them? If so, how high is the temp and for how long?

Boolit Buddy
    I bake them at 210-220 for 20 min after each coat.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    I may have to try Klass Kote since I want to coat heat treated bullets and Hi-Tek requires curing temperatures that would undo heat treating.

Boolit Master

Lights - I'm going to melt mine back down and start over copying what you do as mine are still failing:

The one on the left was a thicker coat than the one on the right and they both failed during sizing

Boolit Buddy
    Looks to me like to much paint and they were still to tacky when you put them on the screen.

Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Lights - I'm going to melt mine back down and start over copying what you do as mine are still failing:

The one on the left was a thicker coat than the one on the right and they both failed during sizing
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Those were done last week. I just tried to let them set in hope the epoxy would cure harder. Nope.

I did some following your advice but with one omission. I didn't have another bucket. So they banged up all the old epoxy and look all crusty. I gave them a second thinned coat and they are cooling. They still look like they don't have enough coverage on them. I have to get ready to call it a night as 4AM comes way too early but I may add another coat or two tomorrow.

I know, I know, you said you a clean bucket...

But on a whim I also ran two through the sizing die and then sat two unsized next to them... It's hard to tell which are which without close inspection...

It may look like they failed in sizing but these didn't have full coverage on the driving bands which is why I sat two unsized next to them as an example.

I think this may be the ticket but I either need to get them a little bit thicker (not so much thinner) or just do a second or third coat. At least this now shows promise!!!

Thank you Lights for your assistance!!!

Boolit Buddy

Klass Kote 2 coats 45 acp HP 200gr. Watch Wiederlader's video on youtube. This have already been sized and are about a week old.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-29 19.33.42.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	77642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-30 01.23.26.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	77645
    Last edited by evil5826; 07-30-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep them look about perfect Evil5826.
    NRA Life Member
    OGC Member
    USPSA Member

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Baked the previously air dried epoxy and they went right through the sizer like butter without scuffing...

That's on top of 32.5gr of IMR 3031 for the lightest load I could find data.

Boolit Master

I learned a new lesson yesterday. While epoxy drying on wax paper does not stick... epoxy does indeed stick to wax paper when baked in an oven set to 215 degrees... do these count as partial paper patched now....?

I'm going to try some more tonight but take a few days for the process. They look really good if you let them air dry on the wax paper. So the plan is cast, tumble in KK, allow to air dry a few hours or overnight, pour into the tray. They don't seem to stick if in contact with each other if they are mostly air dry cured first. So after baking they may not even need the second coat if done right the first time. Using the KK in a 1:1 and then diluting that at about a 1:2 with lacquer thinner seems to give good coverage without thinning so much they need a second coat. Since nothing comes off during sizing after they bake then I think this needs to be the next serious test.

Boolit Master

Trying a new source of powder:

This seems to be working much better. I must admit I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here. If it weren't for all the info posted on this forum then I wouldn't have even thought about trying any of this. Thank you to all that have posted pics and tested their results.

You mix the powder with the lacquer thinner in about a 1:4 powder to thinner and shake shake shake until the thinner is dry and the bullets are coated:

Initially you may think you don't have enough powder but just keep shaking until everything dries. Once dry bake in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes just like the label says.

That's the first coating and I plan on doing a second one tonight. These will be loaded for shooting tomorrow. The previous HF batch will also be tested.

TBC...

EDIT:

I failed to mention something that I find to be a HUGE WIN for powder coat so far.

Since you have to shake the bullets in the bucket until the thinner evaporates off that means the bullets are dry. For whatever chemical reasoning the baking and cooling of the finish does next to nothing to make the bullets stick to each other. I just did a rather large batch just to prove this to myself. The Powder by the Pound powder is polyester based while the HP powder is epoxy based. Go figure the HF bullets stuck together a little more but still not as bad as the two part paint tumbled bullets. The HF powder may only be $5 a pound but the PBTP is so far around $10 to $20 and seems to be coating much better and isn't sticking really at all. I'm calling PBTP for the early win as long as it performs and .40SW should push this for a good pressure test for leading.

Oh, and yes I saw some of the bullets are fragged. I plan on culling as I drop them in cases during loading tonight. I didn't want to look at each of them right now while I'm trying to cook everything and coat a second time. I see no need to handle twice when I have to handle them during loading anyways.

Boolit Buddy

Let me know cause I am interested in powder coating as well. Could you post a pic of the second coating after baking? Curious on what it looks like.

I shoot my Klass Kote 45acp's tomorrow. Ill post a barrel pic aftermath and target accuracy pic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Trying a new source of powder:

This seems to be working much better. I must admit I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here. If it weren't for all the info posted on this forum then I wouldn't have even thought about trying any of this. Thank you to all that have posted pics and tested their results.

You mix the powder with the lacquer thinner in about a 1:4 powder to thinner and shake shake shake until the thinner is dry and the bullets are coated:

Initially you may think you don't have enough powder but just keep shaking until everything dries. Once dry bake in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes just like the label says.

That's the first coating and I plan on doing a second one tonight. These will be loaded for shooting tomorrow. The previous HF batch will also be tested.

TBC...

EDIT:

I failed to mention something that I find to be a HUGE WIN for powder coat so far.

Since you have to shake the bullets in the bucket until the thinner evaporates off that means the bullets are dry. For whatever chemical reasoning the baking and cooling of the finish does next to nothing to make the bullets stick to each other. I just did a rather large batch just to prove this to myself. The Powder by the Pound powder is polyester based while the HP powder is epoxy based. Go figure the HF bullets stuck together a little more but still not as bad as the two part paint tumbled bullets. The HF powder may only be $5 a pound but the PBTP is so far around $10 to $20 and seems to be coating much better and isn't sticking really at all. I'm calling PBTP for the early win as long as it performs and .40SW should push this for a good pressure test for leading.

Oh, and yes I saw some of the bullets are fragged. I plan on culling as I drop them in cases during loading tonight. I didn't want to look at each of them right now while I'm trying to cook everything and coat a second time. I see no need to handle twice when I have to handle them during loading anyways.

That looks good ! Nice coverage. The second coat will make it perfect.

I have that mold too... I'm willing to pay extra for better powder myself. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Loaded second coat:

I did the second batch with just a bit too much powder but nothing crazy. I only say that as the thinner batch sized just fine.

Boolit Buddy

Is that coating sparkly or is it spotty? I can't tell. Doesn't look like the bullets are fully coated.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast