RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The .32 S&W Long as a man-stopper

Thanks, Outpost! Extremely interesting and useful info on .32 ACP guns and ammo. Much appreciated!

Geez, Outpost...you're killin' me here...reason to buy yet another .32...wife's going to kill me...That said, I do have a set of 310 Tong tool dies for .32 ACP, garnered years if not decades ago in a gun-show buy with some others that I really wanted at the time.... .38-40, 41 Mag, .45 Colt, .270, and an all steel set in .218 Bee included the handles.

The only downside, as I see it, to another gun acquisition, and in a minuscule sized caliber, is my advancing arthritic fingers have trouble enough with .32 Long cases in the Dillon, let alone one nearly as tiny as a .22 LR. Big gun-show coming up here in Louisville on the 22nd, however, and there's always some odd stuff on the back tables. One can only hope...

BTW, the RCBS 32-98 SWC (as well as Accurate 31-100R) will keep 'em all in a neat little cluster from the 10 yd. line, with 2.2 gr of Bullseye...Colt Police Positive is the gun...0.314" throats and that's what I size to. ACWW + as little tin as I can get away with to keep the mold filling out adequately. Makes up into a neat little business-like round. All in all it's a good dog-walker gun for me...light at 20 oz's, with a 4" bbl. and snug in a home-made holster I sewed up earlier this week. Also added a Pachmayr grip adapter to fill out my grip. Pic's below.

Best regards and thx for the article Outpost...Rod

Last edited by Rodfac; 02-05-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Pics added

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Nice Colt. Here are a couple of mine shown with The Infamous Bunny Gun by John Taylor.

Attachment 256116
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    When was that article published? I was of the understanding that the Bobcat had been updated and the frame cracking issue had been resolved. Any way, I'm purchasing a NAA Guardian in 32acp this week as a deep carry. My 327FM revolvers are just a tad big for real pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    When was that article published? I was of the understanding that the Bobcat had been updated and the frame cracking issue had been resolved. Any way, I'm purchasing a NAA Guardian in 32acp this week as a deep carry. My 327FM revolvers are just a tad big for real pocket carry.
    My heavy slide Beretta INOX Tomcat which Beretta USA sent me to replace my earlier blued version also failed.

It just took 2000 rounds to break, whereas the original version pistol failed in less than 500.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I away ask myself If I were a Bad Guy would I want this caliber in my chest? Guess what.... I say no to all calibers!
    Now if you are fighting against "bath salt" demons well a 45 auto may do you no good!
    A normal guy, not hopped up, will not like a .22 lr Velocitor in the chest!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Just joined the .32 S & W Long Club...hope to be doing some loading for it soon..!

Lovely bright Bore, crisp Rifling, Timing and Lock up excellent...

Hosted on Fotki

.32 ACP wise, I am anxious to try my old "IDEAL" Truncated-Spike-front Wadcutter Mold to see if it's Boolits will feed in my FN m22 Pistol ( 4-1/2 inch Barrel ) and my 1907 SAVAGE ( 3-3/4 inch Barrel ), both of which prefer peppier Cartridges than the usual US offerings...and of course give much better FPS than the little 'short' Barrel Pistols.

Nice old S&W. Has it family history? My Grandma carried this one as a piano player in a Boston speakeasy during Prohibition, because she did not want to be associated with the "upstairs" girls.

Attachment 256576
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Nice old S&W. Has it family history? My Grandma carried this one as a piano player in a Boston speakeasy during Prohibition, because she did not want to be associated with the "upstairs" girls.

Attachment 256576
    No family history other than starting today..!

Got it on Gunbroker.

Lovely little Colt you have from your Grandmother!

How cool!

Is it a "New Police"?

I have a friend named "Ted". Ted grew up in WWII Germany. After the war he made his way to the U.S. and became a citizen. He joined the Army and was rewarded with an all expenses trip to Vietnam in 1965 with 1st Brigade 101st Abn Div. One night while sitting in his fighting position the VC attacked. It was a pitched battle and the VC just kept coming. Teds platoon was being overrun, it was bayonet time. A VC knocked Ted to the ground and was trying to stab Ted in the chest with his bayonet.Ted was holding the VC's arm trying not to be stabbed while the VC had all his weight bearing down on Ted. Ted was digging in his cargo pocket with his free hand and pulled out his Walther PP 7.65 Browning and emptied it in charlies chest. Ted still carries his PP. He trusts it. Teds a good man and I don't think he'll be with us much longer. He told me this when I showed him my Walther PP 7.65. Funny thing though, I could never convince Ted that 7.65 Browning was the same thing as 32 ACP.The box had to have 7.65 Browning on it.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    No family history other than starting today..!

Got it on Gunbroker.

Lovely little Colt you have from your Grandmother!

How cool!

Is it a "New Police"?
    A 3-1/3" Pocket Positive chambered in .32 NP
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    At this time our range is closed due to snow and cold. So I am left with reading and pondering the net. I have a question on the pistols which actually work for carry, either social or field. If safe carry with a loaded round and minimal controls on a small pistol is the standard several of the old 32swould appear to miss on one or more of the requirements. The Colt 1903 is not drop safe and has a small to access safety and the Beretta 1935 as well. the Colt 1908 is the only one I have experience with. The Beretta Tomcat and Keltec are rather small for those of us with large hands. The Walther PP and PPK, as well as the Sig 230 are the only ones I know of that meet the standard for safe carry we use today. The Sig is large enough that other larger calibers on newer platforms are about the same size. I am not familiar with the CZs or other Walther copies from a safety prepective or accuracy or ease of use. I am for the most part partial to Colt revolvers, but I do enjoy reading through the experiences and thoughts of others and the history of many of these firearms. I apperciate the following the 32 have and the comment that those of experience have made.

Boolit Master
    What's"the safe standard"your referring to?

If your hands are too club like to handle a micro pistol it's likely your pants pockets are big enough to conceal about anything you want to carry as well. Once you get beyond a certain weight and size a larger caliber seems to make sense, but larger calibers in the same weight gun are often less controllable and slower to get back on target. Don't believe me? Shoot a PPK in 380 and 32 and tell me the one you can shoot fastest with the most accuracy? Remember, only hits count in a gun fight, you can't miss fast enough to win. Btw, I'll take any pistol over my pocket knife!

Military drop safety standard we tested to (1980s) which Beretta 92F passed was to weld small eyelets on gun frame so that it could be slid freely on piano wires and dropped from a height of 2 meters onto a 20mm thick steel plate backed by 200mm of steel reinforced concrete, six attitudes:

muzzle down
    muzzle up
    left side down
    right side down
    barrel horizontal sights down
    barrel horizontal sights up

Repeat the six drops with a primed case in chamber repeating in each condition:

hammer down with safety off
    hammer down with safety on
    hammer at full cock safety off
    hammer at full cock safety on

Protocols varies for pistols having passive safety devices without separate mechanical safety.

No fire of the primer was permitted.
    Visible marking of the primer considered a minor category defect and test would be repeated.
    Pistol must still function after the rough handling test.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    So do all currently produced handguns meet this standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    So do all currently produced handguns meet this standard?
    Only the ones the US military buys and the few commercial producers who actually test to that standard to defend themselves in product liability lawsuits.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I ran 35 rounds of federal FMJ through my NAA Guardian 32ACP today with out a hitch. I'm sorta impressed with how accurate it is, and how much bark it has in my hand. I only managed to lose 11 peaces of brass, man that stuff is hard to keep up with!
    Now I need a medium size 32ACP!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A 3-1/3" Pocket Positive chambered in .32 NP
    Ahhh!

They do look fairly similar..!

Boolit Mold
    What a thread!....just spent the last hour reading all the opinions and facts and theories about the stopping power of different rounds, although the .32 was the main subject. I don't live in the U.S, and have never visited there, so things like concealed carry and bedside handguns are only a concept to me. Where I live, anyone who breaks into my house is probably lost and dying of exposure, so I doubt I would try and shoot them anyway. However, I did once own a Browning .32 ACP and thought it a really great little pistol. This forum is fast becoming my favourite.

Found a nice older 'LYMAN' Mold for casting an early pattern .32 Semi-Wadcutter...these might even feed in some of my .32 Autos ( with an adjusted Powder charge of course for these being heavier than the usual, so, ) we'll see.

Hosted on Fotki

Anyway, this Thread kind of inspired me to put a Toe in to the "32" Waters as far as Loading my own...what fun..!

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast