Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding bullet question

Boolit Mold

Expanding bullet question

Most states hunting regulations say an expanding bullet must be used. Are cast bullets considered to be expanding bullets?

I have wondered about the same thing, surely there ought to be a warden or know someone who knows one on this sight. roundballs for muzzleloaders are ok, and they also shoot conical lead slugs, so I don't see why not, but then again their rules can be contradictory.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Basically anything without a total metal jacket is good to go.
    Plain ol' lead is extra good to go.
    At least in Missouri
    'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master
    sure are depends a bunch on alloy choice
    but most alloys for hunting expand one way or another
    you could also get a hp design to assure expansion
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Lets see how it works.

An expanding bullet is a jacketed bullet with an expanding lead tip.

A cast bullet is a bullet made of the expanding lead used in the tip of a jacked bullet.

Please take me to court you will loose and loose the civil suit for your violation of my rights under your color of authority.

Any state that would allow that suit by their F&G need a lesson.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Shoot a bullet into a stack of wet phone books, put the recovered expanded bullet in your hunting pack, and have proof they expand.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I wouldn't try using common sense on a game warden.
    call down to the office and get an opinion and a name from a higher up and write it down so you can drop it on the warden.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I wouldn't try using common sense on a game warden.
    call down to the office and get an opinion and a name from a higher up and write it down so you can drop it on the warden.
    Best answer.

I've wondered about this since starting to powder coat. A person ignorant of how PC'ing works might form incorrect opinions. I suppose it would be a simple matter to file off the PC of the nose of a loaded round though.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Expanding bullet is being used to denote that a non expanding full metal jacket are not to be used for hunting. That pretty well rules out military full metal jacket bullets. Would also rule out full metal bullets used in heavy calibers in Africa for dangerous game animals. Cast bullets are considered a expanding bullet and allowed in every state I am aware of, unless that state has a rule due to environmental reasons like we have in the Condor zone of CA.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0RW_0841.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	192309Does this answer the question? 151grain HP from MP molds impact velocity about 900 fps recovered from a Sika hind.

Boolit Grand Master
    The best answer I can give is to check your state hunting regulations; if the answer isn't clear, request clarification. No one I know wants their name associated with case law.

The last time I checked, Missouri specifically stated cast lead was acceptable.

Robert

Banned

Aside rom water fowl hunting, has anybody ever had a warden even look at your ammo? I sure haven't. I've been stopped for license checks a few times and that never even was brought up.

Boolit Master

One thing for sure, never volunteer any extra information to any law enforcement officer. Anything you say can and may be used against you in a court of law.
    Last edited by Hickory; 04-01-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Buddy
    Here in Iowa we can only use shotguns, muzzle loader or handguns. The handguns must be a listed caliber and use "expanding bullets". I called our DNR and ask if a soft lead bullet would qualify, they said no, it was not designed to expand. I then ask what about a jacked bullet did they consider designed to expand and the guy said hollow point. I took this information and Goodsteel was kind enough to make me a jig to hollow point a 45 cal boolit. I have not been close enough yet to try it out or been stoped by a DNR officer but have little doupt I woud be fine. I could possible have a fight on my hands depending on the DNR guy and his mood but I think it unlikly with the hollow point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Lets see how it works.

An expanding bullet is a jacketed bullet with an expanding lead tip.

A cast bullet is a bullet made of the expanding lead used in the tip of a jacked bullet.

Please take me to court you will loose and loose the civil suit for your violation of my rights under your color of authority.

Any state that would allow that suit by their F&G need a lesson.

That's fine in theory but when your 1500 miles from home and they make the hearing two days before Christmas.Mine wasn't about cast bullets but $110 dollars and no guarantee I'd win I wasn't spending the travel expense to fight it.I think a lot of game warden know that and fine nonresidents when they wouldn't fine locals.The best thing would be to have the paperwork in hand from the main office

Banned
    but what about .512" that goes water quenched wheel weight/lead(50/50) ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0RW_0841.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	192309Does this answer the question? 151grain HP from MP molds impact velocity about 900 fps recovered from a Sika hind.

What alloy are are you using there? I just bought that mold but haven't cast with it yet. I plan to run it in the 300 blackout bolt gun.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    What alloy are are you using there? I just bought that mold but haven't cast with it yet. I plan to run it in the 300 blackout bolt gun.
    Hi glocky, my alloy is 50/50 ww/straight with tin add to fill out the mould and some copper sulphate it's been tested at 14BHN, I sell them online sold about 5000 since December getting good feedback on accuracy and performance on animals, most customers are shooting them in .308's and 300BLK bolt guns at subsonic speeds one is using them in a 30/30 at 1630 fps very deadly on deer not as much meat damage as I thought there would be makes a mess of the engine room, all the recovered bullets look the same as the photo, expands to .420"-.500" You will really like your mould all my MP moulds are great. Robert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast