Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about a coke?

Boolit Buddy

When i was 11 and had a paper route our local standard station was may favorite on collection day. Forest was the man who owned it and he let me pull a coke out the old mach. heaven when you are 11. we rarely had pop at home.

Super Moderator

Back in the 40's-50's Coke would imprint the bottom of the bottles with the various cities names on them. They were dispensed from the vertical type machines. I have several of them including one with FLAGSTAFF, ARIZ on the bottom. They have become collectible.

Boolit Master
    The CC does taste different than the old days. The sweetener is not sugar. Drink CC from the mexican stores in the glass bottles and you WILL notice the difference. Pay attention to the ingredients.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

In the old country stores here in the south, the drink machine was known as the dope box. I guess a holdover from the days when cokes had coke in them.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    If you're ever in Oklahoma, make a side trip to Pops in Arcadia. They have an unsurpassed selection of "pop", if you've drank it; they probably have it.

Scroll through their offerings here:

http://www.pops66.com/40.0.html
    No Wink?

Boolit Master
    I still remember what those small bottles of coke tasted like in the 1950s and to me it had pepsi beat hands down. I won't even drink pop today, the stuff is corn syrup with artificial flavor that tastes horrible.

Boolit Master
    I was raised in a restaurant that carried a lot of different sodas. I drank many a Coke in the old glass bottles with the raised letters. And yes, they did imprint the cities on the bottoms of the bottles.
    I used to collect them, and I still have 6-8 cases of empty bottles. May have to dig them out & let other collectors enjoy them.

Oh yea.....I remember those days too. I am a Pepsi man now... but back then any soft drink was great. Kind of a treat... we didn't get them that often. My father drank... bourbon and Coke or Pepsi and we would steal the soft drinks any chance we got!(He could keep the bourbon) One of my granddads ran a station in Theodore Ala., half way between Dolphin Island and Mobile and folks would stop there on their way to the beach... There was (1969) a water cooled drink machine in that store. I remember that Dr. Pepper taste different depending on the size of the bottle, the smaller ones being stronger. Cokes were 5cents for the small bottle etc. Don't mean to highjack but Moon Pies? I dated a girl once that worked with a guy who wrote The Moon Pie Handbook...how to eat and enjoy Moon Pies. He sent it to the Chattanooga Bakery and they liked it so much that he could get Moon Pies strait from the bakery anytime. She would bring me what ever I wanted... if you have never had a FRESH Moon Pie.... you should. I ate way too many! I haven't eaten many in a long time after that...but the fresh ones are really good. Yea... some old some new....drinks do taste better from glass.... but we all know that...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    No Wink?
    OK, give me a break, I did say they probably had it.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    As a diabetic all I can say is Thanks be to God, we have COKE-ZERO.
    As a Mexican, all I can say is Thank God there were Cokes in my little village when we visited over Christmas break. It always felt good to treat my cousins to the rare drink of a soda-pop I would buy them. One of my best friend first-cousins, still reminds me how when he asked me for a Coke I would always buy it for him. He is 13 years my junior an is my cast boolit student.

Nowadays I have a can of Coke in my reloading room for emergency sugar drops (rare, maybe twice a year); the room's door is 3 feet away from my bedside and we costantly turn over the can by having my son drink the old ones. May he never suffer from this dreaded disease that took away my ability to drink a cold frosty Coke from a bottle.

Boolit Grand Master

The upright machines with the vertical, narrow glass door did indeed last into the 70's. I remember going into the local NAPA store and getting the mini bottles of coke for 15 cents. I used to have a couple of wooden cases of the small bottles. On the bottom was where the bottler was located and every one was different in my collection. Unfortunately they were stolen out of a storage unit several years ago with my tools and some long guns.

Depending where you were from it was soda, pop, coke etc. In the far NE it was soda or coke same as a snowmobile was always a Ski Doo no matter the make.

Growing up the only person I ever heard call soda something different was my Great Uncle Ray, a WW2 South Pacific Marine Vet and a great guy. When I went over to mow his lawn every Sat he would always stop me halfway through and we would go over to the store and he would buy me a Pepsi. "You want a Pepsi"? he would say. I didn't like Pepsi but never said anything and always thanked him for one and drank the whole bottle sitting on the General Stores porch. Of course, that was when kids were raised right I guess.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I still remember what those small bottles of coke tasted like in the 1950s and to me it had pepsi beat hands down. I won't even drink pop today, the stuff is corn syrup with artificial flavor that tastes horrible.
    They still make the Coke in other countries with real sugar not corn syrup. It does taste different and much better. If you go into a store go to the "Mexican Food Aisle" and look for the imported Coke. It will be the real deal. I buy my sweetie one every few weeks when food shopping.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

bhn22
    I grew up on Coke, Real Coke. Mom would take us kids out once a week to buy our allotment of 1 case of Coke that had to last two weeks. This was in the '60s. It was never anything else, just Coke. Nowdays I buy Mexican Coke from Sams Club. It is at it's best nearly frozen, you have to get just the right amount of ice crystals in it. Fifty years later, it's still all I want to drink. No wonder all soft drinks in the south are called "Cokes".

Boolit Master

Got all the free cokes I wanted in early teens, hanging around local diner/beer joint/pool hall.
    The grownups would all wager a dollar, pull Cole bottles out , winner was whoever had the farthest away bottling city on bottom. Had a US map on the wall to settle arguments !
    If I had a nickel I could get a huge Peppermint Patty to go with it. And salted peanuts dropped in 'em was good too..

In Remembrance

Boy! The memories are flooding back! .05 Coke from the local store in 6.5 oz bottles. I have ridden my bike to "Grannies" with .50 cents and a carton of bottles and come home with a carton of "COKE" and a loaf of "white bread" and gave my dad .10 cents change many times. I remember when Coke and Pepsi first came out in cans. We would buy one, then scrap the paint off very gently to reveal the beer brand that it was supposed to be in the can before it was repainted. Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for reminding me.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Got all the free cokes I wanted in early teens, hanging around local diner/beer joint/pool hall.
    The grownups would all wager a dollar, pull Cole bottles out , winner was whoever had the farthest away bottling city on bottom. Had a US map on the wall to settle arguments !
    If I had a nickel I could get a huge Peppermint Patty to go with it. And salted peanuts dropped in 'em was good too..

OOps - PC "froze" got a double post. Wish we could delete mistakes !

Boolit Buddy
    OK, experts I have a light green bottle that has 'Soda" imprinted on the sides but the bottom says Coca Cola Bottling Co. Cincinnati Ohio. I'm curious if this is a early Coke bottle or was it for a generic cola packaged by that company?
    I also have another that has a ball in it permanently apparently when filled the pressure would seal it. I guess you just pushed the ball down to open it has a small ledge molded in it to hold the ball once unsealed. I understand it's Australian and a similar style is still used in India.

My dad ran a wholesale propane supply house that sold propane/butane, cookstoves heaters and supplies to retail delivery businesses. He had an old water filled, move the bottle to the end of the maize and lift out machine in the shop--5 cents-- for use by employees and guests. The compressor or something died and he called local Coke distributor for a replacement. The only machine just like the old one available came with a 6 cent coin changer. Dad didn't like it so he put 100 + pennies in an old squatty coffee can and in effect still had a nickle machine. They still had it when they sold out the business to a national company years later and were still using the original can of pennies. I am sure they took a loss on the nickle machine in the later years, but he always bragged that they still had nickle cokes at his place.

There a couple places in Texas that I can still get a nickle cup of coffee and I go by when in their neck of the woods just to say that I bought my coffee for half a dime.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

In Remembrance
    My Dad and I were driving out through desert parts of New Mexico during a late 50s/early 60s summer.
    We stopped for gas at a station out in the middle of nowhere.
    I had recently gotten old enough to handle the gas nozzle, so I was pumping gas while Dad went to get a couple of cold drinks from the machine. It was the chest type with the rails.
    He was after a root beer, and I wanted a Coke. He hollered back that there wasn't any Coke but they had Pepsi, so I agreed to take one.

About that time the attendant got caught up and relieved me at the nozzle, so Dad and I stepped into some shade an took a couple of giant swigs from our cold drinks. He held his bottle up to the sky and declared that really hit the spot, and I started to immitate him.
    When I got the Pepsi bottle up in the sun, I could see the mouse inside.

Never drank another Pepsi ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

If you are ever on this side of the US make a trip to Mast General Store near Boone North Carolina. (Zionsville actually) They have all the old soft drink brands I've ever ran across in thise old chest type coolers with the rails for sale. You'll find the old bottled Coke and Pepsi as well as NEhi, Bubble up, Frostie root beer, and quite a few more. They also have many of the old candy brands you don't see any more including barrel after barrel of the old time penny candy and an old time Ice Cream shack. I make several trips over there every year for the trip down memory lane AND there is always a Bluegrass music jam session going on the back porch open to everyone that wants to listen or play, NO CHARGE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast