Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with old primers?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    They can be reloaded.
    I was just reading a post about reloading them . I'm going to try and avoid that for as long as I can...looked rather tedious !

I do have two gallon freezer bags full...my little girl would "help daddy reload" by sweeping them off the floor and bagging them up for me . My little girl is 47 years old now and no longer "helps daddy reload" but I can't seem to throw them out...they bring back such nice memories .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I have two FULL plastic jugs, and the third -- pictured here -- alllllmost there ! I'm hoping to learn a productive thing to do with them.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spent Primers.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	247925
    geo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have two FULL plastic jugs, and the third -- pictured here -- alllllmost there ! I'm hoping to learn a productive thing to do with them.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spent Primers.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	247925
    geo
    With Marshall or "Dr P's" method that jug would take about 20 years of 40 hour weeks to reload. hahahahaha

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm lucky - my local scrap yard will take them as scrap brass (after running them by a magnet to get out any steel), paying a bit less that the rate for cartridge brass.

I've used them as fillers for home made shooting bags (sealed in plastic before I put them into the leather outer bags) and in jugs to use as activator weights for action pistol props.

I've done different things with them.

When I had a gravel driveway, I'd toss them out like gravel in a low spot.
    I've added them into the bucket going to the scrap yard.

Lately, after having to be revived after I saw the price of corn cob tumbling media,
    I toss them into the Lyman turbo as additional make up media.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've done different things with them.

When I had a gravel driveway, I'd toss them out like gravel in a low spot.
    I've added them into the bucket going to the scrap yard.

Lately, after having to be revived after I saw the price of corn cob tumbling media,
    I toss them into the Lyman turbo as additional make up media.
    Gonna try that.. Experimental time...

No work for me, I blame it on the internet. HAhaha
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Sorry - when I said "OLD" primers, I meant "SPENT" primers.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Gonna try that.. Experimental time...
    I'm not a liquid/steel pin guy, but I can't think of why they wouldn't work in those too.

All the media does is bump around, the old primers seem to do fine in my dry tumbler.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

It would be nice if there was a way to make gas check with them.

Boolit Buddy
    I spread them all over my workshop floor by accidentally knocking the priming holding tube on my press from time to time. I'm extremely consistent at doing that.

They go to the scrap yard with my scrap brass. Got to fund my addiction.Wife gets the paycheck, I get the scrap. They are also fun to load in Speer shot capsules.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master
    I just came up with a new idea for those used primers.

I am going to try to balance them on toothpicks, sitting on a block drilled with toothpick sized holes, & shoot at them with my .22 pistol at 7 yds & see if I can hit the little things off the toothpicks without breaking the toothpick.

Hey, it was just a thought. All in fun...

Reminds me & now some Reminiscing time... Off topic, but what the heck. Maybe I will delete it tomorrow...

My old man had me shooting a Red Ryder BB gun in the garage with lit birthday candles at one time & if I could get 5 in a row putting the flame out without hitting the candles, he would give me a Coke.

We had made a BB trap out of old carpet & cardboard & boxed in with some some scrap paneling & 1X lumber, and the candles were set into a stick that I drilled holes in, ( with a small hand driven drill) that was left over from a box kite I had made that had crashed into a tree, and then put in a couple of holes drilled in the side of the trap to hold them & still catch the BBs.

I got pretty good at it, but it got kind of "old", so the old man made me start shooting the pips on playing cards too. I had to hit all the pips with one shot each in a single card without any white cut/hit to get the Coke then. that or "head shots" with the face cards & so on...

Later on the idea was to hang a ping pong ball with a hole drilled in it for a string, with some dripped wax in the bottom for a bit of ballast. We put the string in with a broken small part of a toothpick turned sideways tied to the string for the "anchor" to be pulled up inside the ball while the toothpick bit was turned sideways to hold the string to the ball, then Elmers glue or whatever paste we had to keep the string in place, was the next step..

He then had me shoot at that, after he lightly twisted the string to slowly put a spin on it & then a slight push to get twirl on it & I was to hit the ball 5 times in a row to get the prize.

After that it was to just hit the ball when it was swinging to & fro in a small arc.

All sorts of stuff like that when I was about 8-10 years old or so...

Man , I had a blast shooting that Red Ryder while he sat there, watched, gave me some razz or tips both & drank beer while listening to the baseball game. This was usually when it was raining out, otherwise I was outside somewhere doing the stuff kids do...

Oh well, just sharing some memories before I hit the rack. I been doing a lot of that lately with reading about the topic on stilts & such.

Anyway... Hope ya got a bit of a chuckle from my sharing some thoughts & memories.

G'Nite!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I just came up with a new idea for those used primers.

I am going to try to balance them on toothpicks, sitting on a block drilled with toothpick sized holes, & shoot at them with my .22 pistol at 7 yds & see if I can hit the little things off the toothpicks without breaking the toothpick.

Hey, it was just a thought. All in fun...

Reminds me & now some Reminiscing time... Off topic, but what the heck. Maybe I will delete it tomorrow...

My old man had me shooting a Red Ryder BB gun in the garage with lit birthday candles at one time & if I could get 5 in a row putting the flame out without hitting the candles, he would give me a Coke.

We had made a BB trap out of old carpet & cardboard & boxed in with some some scrap paneling & 1X lumber, and the candles were set into a stick that I drilled holes in, ( with a small hand driven drill) that was left over from a box kite I had made that had crashed into a tree, and then put in a couple of holes drilled in the side of the trap to hold them & still catch the BBs.

I got pretty good at it, but it got kind of "old", so the old man made me start shooting the pips on playing cards too. I had to hit all the pips with one shot each in a single card without any white cut/hit to get the Coke then. that or "head shots" with the face cards & so on...

Later on the idea was to hang a ping pong ball with a hole drilled in it for a string, with some dripped wax in the bottom for a bit of ballast. We put the string in with a broken small part of a toothpick turned sideways tied to the string for the "anchor" to be pulled up inside the ball while the toothpick bit was turned sideways to hold the string to the ball, then Elmers glue or whatever paste we had to keep the string in place, was the next step..

He then had me shoot at that, after he lightly twisted the string to slowly put a spin on it & then a slight push to get twirl on it & I was to hit the ball 5 times in a row to get the prize.

After that it was to just hit the ball when it was swinging to & fro in a small arc.

All sorts of stuff like that when I was about 8-10 years old or so...

Man , I had a blast shooting that Red Ryder while he sat there, watched, gave me some razz or tips both & drank beer while listening to the baseball game. This was usually when it was raining out, otherwise I was outside somewhere doing the stuff kids do...

Oh well, just sharing some memories before I hit the rack. I been doing a lot of that lately with reading about the topic on stilts & such.

Anyway... Hope ya got a bit of a chuckle from my sharing some thoughts & memories.

G'Nite!
    You could have your wife throw them in the air so you could shoot them like Annie Oakley.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    You could have your wife throw them in the air so you could shoot them like Annie Oakley.
    I would prefer to be more like Ed McGivern, as I identify as a man, and that seems to be important to some folks to "identify" so folks know & don't offend anyone....

Hahaha!

I will keep your suggestion under consideration though... Gonna have to ask the missus first. She is asleep at this time.

Now I really have to go hit the rack!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master

I sit here corrected about reloading SPENT primers. Some do! I won't need to though. Got more than a lifetime supply...my lifetime anyway. Learn something new here every day.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Reload them...
    3 piece primer reloading dies.
    Pop the little anvil out, swage the firing pin dent out, put more fulminate in and reseat the anvil .
    Over the course of your lifetime you can save up to 20 bucks... and lose three fingers.
    What else ya gonna do on those long winter nights?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagdadjoe View Post
    Reload them...
    3 piece primer reloading dies.
    Pop the little anvil out, swage the firing pin dent out, put more fulminate in and reseat the anvil .
    Over the course of your lifetime you can save up to 20 bucks... and lose three fingers.
    What else ya gonna do on those long winter nights?
    Saving $20 in a lifetime is sadly going to be viewed positively by most of us. We will happily spend $50 if we can save $20 by doing ourselves! I identify with this.... reloading a primer is not on my “want to do list”. I hope I never regret that decision.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Banned
    Ever since primers went to near 4 cents per, i decided to start reloading my own. It just makes sense. If I can reload 9mm for 2 cents per and the primers cost 4 cents...then the primers MUST be reloaded. It's the principle of the thing. (joking but only slightly)

Boolit Grand Master

Man! It's a good thing I don't count pennies for my reloads. I don't waste money, but to "save" money by working 10 minutes per primer and handling primer compound is out of the question (and I'm a confirmed "fiddler").

FWIW whenever I went to a store that sells primers, powder, and 22 lr stuff, I'd just pick up a brick or lb of powder (I cast my own bullets). Over the years I have a good stash of powder, primers and 22 lr, and none of the "shortages/panics" slowed down my reloading or shooting...
    My Anchor is holding fast!