RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy boolits for .327fedmag

Boolit Buddy

Heavy boolits for .327fedmag

I'm fairly new to reloading, so I don't have a lot of contact info. for supplies.
    I do not cast, so that means I need to find them already cast and ready to go.

I'm currently waiting on delivery of a brand spankin' new Henry lever action rifle in .327fedmag and I plan to load for it.
    I have the dies, but I need help finding the pills I want.
    I'd like to find something in the 120gr-140gr weight class and probably .312 or .313.
    I would like to see a flat point, or swc nose profile, gas-checked or not, but if required I'd prefer they are already installed.

I think I'm actually looking at .32-20 boolits, but where do I look?

Thanks in advance for any help.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Since you don't cast, you're gonna be limited in suppliers. I didn't see anything suitable to your needs in Sierra, Berrys or Hornady. An alternative might be Penn Bullets, they offer a 115 gr.
    Before ordering though, I would want to slug the bore so as to order the right size. I know, you don't have the rifle yet, so in the meantime get the rest of your needs in hand and be patient.
    I wouldn't mind having one of the .327 Henry's myself.

Brian
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    May I ask for the heavy boolits where do get the data for them like the 135 on and the lower ones of the high weight?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    May I ask for the heavy boolits where do get the data for them like the 135 on and the lower ones of the high weight?
    You work them up on your own. Quickload is a nice thing to have in this situation. Otherwise you use data for the weights you can find and interpolate from there. Loading from the manual is following a recipe. Going off book is load development.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You work them up on your own. Quickload is a nice thing to have in this situation. Otherwise you use data for the weights you can find and interpolate from there. Loading from the manual is following a recipe. Going off book is load development.
    Thank you for explain it to me I understand better now for how you word it.

Boolit Master
    Re: heavy bullet data.... Brian Pierce wrote a great article on the .327FM in Handloader Magazine two years ago. It had some heavy bullet data.

I too prefer heavier bullets. My favorite is the Lee 113gr FNGC. I've tried several powders from mild to wild, but have settled on 10gr of #2400 for about 1,200fps from my 5.5"bbl Ruger Single-7. It's accurate, and manageable.

However, I'm going to bet you'll do like I do and shoot 10-1 .32 S&W Long to every .327mag.
    I have a Lee 93gr RN 6-cavity mold that "rains" good bullets. Good thing, as they're more fun to shoot than a .22lr. 2.2gr Tite-Group or 2.5gr Bullseye in Starline brass are addictive!

Besides, the above bullets powder coated and sized .311" are more accurate from my M1 Carbine than ball FMJ.
    I've had a "stinker" Henry in .22mag. I'll have to hold one in my hand before I'll jump for one. I've heard that they are HEAVY for what they are...

You can't stuff enough IMR4227 into a .327 case to get into any trouble, just fill'er up!

Do the same thing in .30 Carbine, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long.

In the .32 ACP and 7.62x25 I do the same thing with Alliant #2400!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    The heaviest boolits I have used have been a 115 grain SWC from NOE and a 311-465 that runs about 120 grains.
    11.8 grains of H-110 under the 115 Grain NOE and 11.0 grains H-110 under The Lyman boolit were two loads that worked.
    Despite Mr. Pearce's excellent results, I have not had groups as good as I get with H-110 when using faster powders. Power Pistol in particular has been distinctly "Meh." Longshot seems to hold some promise, but I haven't had a chance to really test it.

Do get the February 2016 Issue of "Handloader" Magazine. That has Pearce's article which has 2 1/2 pages of load data.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    Since you don't cast, you're gonna be limited in suppliers. I didn't see anything suitable to your needs in Sierra, Berrys or Hornady. An alternative might be Penn Bullets, they offer a 115 gr.
    Before ordering though, I would want to slug the bore so as to order the right size. I know, you don't have the rifle yet, so in the meantime get the rest of your needs in hand and be patient.
    I wouldn't mind having one of the .327 Henry's myself.

Brian
    I've got pretty much everything I need, except the rifle!
    I have 2 other .327's, a Taurus snub nose and a Ruger SP101, so I've been stocking supplies for them.
    I have 500 brand new, bright and shiny Starline cases, around 6k small pistol magnum primers, 4 different weight/profile boolits, and at least 4 different powders I can use.
    I need the rifle before I can do much more.

I have thought about loading up a sample load of each bullet/powder combination so I'm ready when the rifle does arrive.
    Right now I'm hesitant to do much.
    If I load up a bunch, and the rifle doesn't come soon, I'm just going to be more anxious about the whole thing.

I'm trying to be patient, but it has never been one of my strong points.

Boolit Buddy

153 grain. However you need 357 Mag length handling ability to make them work like this Blackhawk in 327 Fed Mag. YMMV

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    153 grain. However you need 357 Mag length handling ability to make them work like this Blackhawk in 327 Fed Mag. YMMV

now THIS interests me. I'm wondering what powder you are using?

Boolit Buddy

AA9 has been the best of everything I tried. I shot some 2400 and it was good but not as good as AA9. I haven't tried it yet but H110 would make sense to try with a bullet this heavy. Gas check bullets have consistently shot the best. My go to bullet for the 327 now is a NOE 120 GC. It is very accurate and 120 is a nice weight for the 327.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    AA9 has been the best of everything I tried. I shot some 2400 and it was good but not as good as AA9. I haven't tried it yet but H110 would make sense to try with a bullet this heavy. Gas check bullets have consistently shot the best. My go to bullet for the 327 now is a NOE 120 GC. It is very accurate and 120 is a nice weight for the 327.
    I have some Meister cast boolits that are 115gr LRNFP that I plan to give a try, but they aren't gas checked.
    I also have some powder coated 93gr cast RNFP that a buddy cast for me, some 100gr Magnus swc, and some Ranier 100gr plated HP.
    I've found reliable (published) data for using these pills with powders I have on hand, Universal, Titegroup, Trailboss, and 700-X.

Which combo would you guys think might give the best results.
    I know the Trailboss loads will be more or less "bunny farts".

Figured that should be a decent start.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I'm fairly new to reloading, so I don't have a lot of contact info. for supplies.
    I do not cast, so that means I need to find them already cast and ready to go.

I'm currently waiting on delivery of a brand spankin' new Henry lever action rifle in .327fedmag and I plan to load for it.
    I have the dies, but I need help finding the pills I want.
    I'd like to find something in the 120gr-140gr weight class and probably .312 or .313.
    I would like to see a flat point, or swc nose profile, gas-checked or not, but if required I'd prefer they are already installed.

I think I'm actually looking at .32-20 boolits, but where do I look?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    You are looking at 32-20 bullets. Go to Gunbroker.com and search for 32 cal cast bullets. You will find some for sale from Idaho/Montana border area that are good stuff. If you want to cast your own, go to NOE and order his 314008 (mine drops bullets of 70/30 at about 128 gr.) JW

Boolit Master
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/55-cast...se-review.html

A listing of commercial cast bullet mfg., from another forum, for those who don't cast.
    Last edited by Czech_too; 07-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Buddy

These I have tried and for "store bought" bullets, they were the best. They worked the best for me with some velocity. Out of the Blackhawk, they were doing 1626 fps and right about 1.75" groups @ 25 yards. When I cut the powder back some, the group started to open up so they like velocity. They are factory gas checked and excellent quality. YMMV

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...eck-box-of-250

You can't stuff enough IMR4227 into a .327 case to get into any trouble, just fill'er up!

Do the same thing in .30 Carbine, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long.

In the .32 ACP and 7.62x25 I do the same thing with Alliant #2400!
    For the 327 can you do the same with 2400 like you said you can do with IMR4227 ? Because I do not have that powder.

For the 327 can you do the same with 2400 like you said you can do with IMR4227 ? Because I do not have that powder.
    Alliant #2400 is DOUBLE-BASED, denser and FASTER burning than 4227, DON'T DO IT!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Alliant #2400 is DOUBLE-BASED, denser and FASTER burning than 4227, DON'T DO IT!
    Ok thank you for your help.Look like I should look into some IMR4227 then .I know I can use if for some others I reload for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast