WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: Broken Spray Can Top - Why is it...

Broken Spray Can Top - Why is it...

...that it's always a new can of spray whatever that gets the top broken off right off the bat. It never happens to an empty can, even when it gets thrown into the metal trash can from 30 feet away.

How do you fix yours?

Boolit Bub
    I do not know the answer, but rest assured that you are not alone.
    I do believe the sprayer breaking is subjected to costs of contents, immediacy/urgency of need and time to replace said can. As all of these increase the chance of breaking also increases...some times at a logrithmic rate.

Special care MUST be taken before all hunting seasons and shooting sessions, as both events also increase the probablity of breakage even more so than "just an ordinary day"

Finally, if the product is used in an area not normall allowed by the wife while she is absent the chances of success are nearly void. Most times the top breaks and the entire contents spew out leaving both a mess to be contented with and a very distinct, generally found to be unpleasant to the female nose, scent.

please do not ask me how I know...

Boolit Master

Are you sure it just did not pop out of the hole and can simply be pushed back in ? I've never had one break on me.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Oh, it's broken alright. I've never had one just pop out. Mine always break. Take another gander at the photo.

Boolit Master
    Take a suitibale sized sheet metal screw and carefully screw into the plastic cylinder on the top of the can--don't press down..that should grab it enough for you to extract it--get a nozzle from another aerosol can and you should be in business again.

Boolit Master

And you can buy new nozzles @ Ace...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

keep a few spray tips on hand

I have a drawer in an organizer on my workbench where I keep an assortment of spray tips from cans of "stuff" that I use frequently (and some not so frequently). If I'm using a couple or three cans of spray paint I'll pull the new clean tip from a new can and use a used tip so that I can keep clean tips on hand to replace the ones that clog. It's messy, but you could depress the broken nozzle in the photo with a punch or something while holding a patch over it to get Kroil on a patch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Take a suitibale sized sheet metal screw and carefully screw into the plastic cylinder on the top of the can--don't press down..that should grab it enough for you to extract it--get a nozzle from another aerosol can and you should be in business again.
    I've used a #4 ? machine screw tap. Any way,whatever fits, thread it in 3-4 threads and pluck it out like a plum on your thumb. Didn't know ACE had spares......I just save old ones.
    When a can is plugged in the can or had no propellent left, I punch a hole with an ice pick and use the pick as a needle valve to releave the pressure,then pour it into an air brush bottle. It's already thinned and air brush stuff cleans up real easy.
    Our local Chineese Tool Store has them on sale often. Too handy for spraying anything you need to spray.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I have a drawer in an organizer on my workbench where I keep an assortment of spray tips from cans of "stuff" that I use...
    Yep, I'm always busting those buggers off too... so I never throw away the old ones. I keep a collection of nozzles floating around in a glass peanut butter jar that's got an inch of gasoline in the bottom. The petrol dissolves any residual stuff cankered in the nozzles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    now how come I didn't think of that?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

oh just put everthing you want oiled near the can get back and shoot it LOL
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Or... you can just put the top back on the spraycan. That's why it's there. Prevents a host of problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    It usually happens to me when I amtwisted like a pretzal trying to get the latest can of wonderjuice to spray onto the correct nut: either that or when standing on a ladder to get within range of the wasp nest. Never when I can easily reach what I need to spray.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Stab a small hole in the can and blow off the oil into something that you can put a lid on to keep it. Thats for Aerokriol anyway since its not like bug poison.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Thought I was a little compulsive (right word?), never throw away spray can tops and tubes. I keep 'em in a convenient place (all over the garage).
    Never had one break like that though.
    Been cuttin' open paint cans since I was a kid to get the marbles.
    "Good slingshot ammo" sounds better than "they're so purty".

I didn't know you could "pluck" the broken part out, i figured it was part of the nozzle. I have always just taken a small brass punch that i have sharpened like a center punch, and tapped a tiny hole into the top of the can to let all the pressure out. Then i enlarge the hole, and drain out the fluid into something sealable that the liquid will not disolve. And i do believe that ricklandes is correct, it only happens on the expensive stuff. If it is cheap, you can drop it off a roof, or run over it with your car, and it will be fine. As soon as the cost is over $10.00 a can, it breaks off when a fly lands on it. "murphy" was a relative of mine! Lol!

Banned

I like the new top on kroil cans wtih the trigger on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sagacious
    Or... you can just put the top back on the spraycan. That's why it's there. Prevents a host of problems.

Well, putting the top back on is a grand idea. Except that in this case I just used the can and set it down and promptly knocked it off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I like the new top on kroil cans with the trigger on it.
    I just got this can directly from Kroil. I guess I didn't notice the newer version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin 56 View Post
    Well, putting the top back on is a grand idea. Except that in this case I just used the can and set it down and promptly knocked it off the bench.

I just got this can directly from Kroil. I guess I didn't notice the newer version.
    Doh! Well, I hear ya-- stuff happens.

In my previous reply I was going to suggest the pistol-grip spray tops available for spray cans. Very handy for many uses, and it obviates the need to replace the cap before setting the can down.
    http://www.toolup.com/krylon/7099.html

Could be worth a go. Many hardware stores carry 'em. Good luck.