WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best weight bullet for 300 Black Out Deer LOAD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    With each of my firearms, I generally try to hold to a minimum of 500 foot pounds at the distance of impact. This was the older Georgia State handgun regulations requirements, it works well for the deer in southeast GA.
    I’m still playing with the cast in the 300aac.
    18.0gr of 2230 is producing just under 1500fps in a 16” barrel with powder coated Lee C309-160-R. Actual weight is 166gr. OAL 1.940” is in the upper lube groove. These were recovered from a dirt pile at a 100 yards
    Attachment 225928
    Well that's just beautiful!! I'd say that's do very well on a whitetail at 100...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    It is the 30-223, just hard to find loading data
    OK, I was confused (easy for me) since your subject had 300BO listed. Then down in the body you listed the 30-223.

The 30-223 is a new cartridge to me - that would be a good round. Actually better balisticaly than the 300BO. I think I like the sound of the 30-223.

Good luck.

Just a longer BO. Looked at x39 data yet?
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Just a longer BO. Looked at x39 data yet?
    The 7.63x39 data I would think would be on the hot side?

Case volume about the same. You could go with slower powders too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    OK, I was confused (easy for me) since your subject had 300BO listed. Then down in the body you listed the 30-223.

The 30-223 is a new cartridge to me - that would be a good round. Actually better balisticaly than the 300BO. I think I like the sound of the 30-223.

Good luck.
    I like the sound of that too, I already have a BO, 308, and 30 06...I can with those load a whole range of uploaded or downloaded rounds for the range of stuff...cant justify the cost to rechamber and retool for another round they would split the difference between 300 BO and 308 for me....but all that to say it sure is tempting to try and find a good reason!

I love tinkering, making brass from range pick up and the like

Case volume about the same. You could go with slower powders too.
    What is the case volume of both?

Boolit Master
    Not sure why I didn't think to drop this in before but there is a group buy on a hollow point mold that may be perfect for 300 Bo

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

You measure volume of the case full of water, usually with a syringe. Used to have a table on the computer but can't find it now. One approach is to seat a dummy and fill through the primer hole. It will vary a bit but if they are close (40WT is supposed to be close performance wise) you can try start loads for the other cartridge. You also need to verify same book pressure and evaluate if your gun can take it.
    Whatever!

You measure volume of the case full of water, usually with a syringe. Used to have a table on the computer but can't find it now. One approach is to seat a dummy and fill through the primer hole. It will vary a bit but if they are close (40WT is supposed to be close performance wise) you can try start loads for the other cartridge. You also need to verify same book pressure and evaluate if your gun can take it.
    From what I can find. The 7.62x39 holds 4 gr more . So roughly 1/10 more water then the 223 brass

Go to Mad Dog Weapon Systems web site. They have a whole listing for the 7.62 X 40 (Or 300 BO Magnum as I like to call it). I would recommend a 125 gr jacketed or 130 -140 gr lead bullet for that caliber as bullet length becomes an issue with this one. Have the 7.62 X 40 myself but have not got the loads worked up for it yet. NOE has a 130 + grain mold that I love in the 300 BO. I am hoping that it works well in this one to.

30/223 is longer than 40wt. 150ish boolit with 40wt start loads should be good.
    Whatever!

Looks as if 20 gr of 1680 with some 150 flat nose should give around 1800 FPS from my 17 1/2 inch barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm actually getting 1870fps in a 16" barrel using 19.0gr of 1680 with Remingtons 150gr PSPCL.
    One of the 150gr 30-30 bullets are to be my next tests.
    Benny

Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    I'm actually getting 1870fps in a 16" barrel using 19.0gr of 1680 with Remingtons 150gr PSPCL.
    One of the 150gr 30-30 bullets are to be my next tests.
    That is great to know. I am going to be using some old Herters 150gr FP 30-30 bullets that I have had stored for years.

Boolit Master

1680 Is a great powder for +150G in the lil 300.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I have an old article by Roy Dunlap IIRC about the 30 Apache which is 30-223. He listed several loads for "J" bullets that may be of use. PM me if you'd like a copy or I can post.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Okay then here's what I have:

img017.pdf
    img018.pdf
    img019.pdf
    img020.pdf

Not as much reloading info as I thought I had in the Roy Dunlap article. There is a bit more in the Elgin Gates copies from Metallic Silhouette Shooting but again not a lot.

At one point I was thinking of going this route myself and I am sure I had more load data collected but am not finding it where I "remember" I put it!

Oh well... it may still be of use to you.

Longbow

Boolit Master

I'd be looking at this puzzle thinking that you're basically playing in .357 Magnum territory for bullet weights plus a bit extra in the speed department.

Quenched wheelweight gave me nine milk jugs of penetration with an aggressively flat-nosed 130 grain .32 at 1250 fps, so I don't think you need to have concern over a non-expanding 125-ish grainer failing to make it to the Tootsie Roll Center of the Tootsiepop.

If you can get full Blackout supersonic velocity with accuracy out of your alloy, I'd say go for max speed with lighter, gas-checked slugs. If the accuracy degrades at speed, and you have to go slower, up the weight to better hang onto what speed you can generate.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I haven't been happy with the accuracy of cast in my .300 Blackout so if I do use it I'll go this route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast