Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: 442 grip recommendations

Boolit Buddy

442 grip recommendations

This little girl has been by my side every day now for going on 7 years and shes getting alittle run down. The factory grips have delaminated and need replacing and Im here looking for guidence. No issues with the factory ones but I wouldnt mind an upgrade, need to keep it small and easily drawn from a pocket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Banned
    I've been carrying a 442 for many years and use the Eagle Secret Service grips. They're a copy of the Craig Spegel boot grip and I highly recommend them.
    They don't increase the overall size of the gun and they've held up very well.

Mine are checkered rosewood but you can get them plain and there are other types of wood available.

I've used a lot of Eagle grips over the years and I've been very satisfied with them.

You could go with the authentic Craig Spegel boot grips for a bit more money (they really are well made) but if you're on a budget the Eagle grips will serve you just as well.

Here's a couple of Eagle Secret Service grips. A smooth set on a Detective Special and a checkered set on a J-frame S&W.

Attachment 202281
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-22-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

S&W makes some very nice grips for the J-frames, with and without finger grooves, and out of some very nice wood. They've always felt really great in my hands. They look very much, in profile at least, like the top one in P&P's pic. And they're not cheap, but they're affordable, especially for a one-time purchase for an "old friend" like your gun there. And grips really DO make a difference in how we shoot our handguns! The right dimensions simply make our hands fit onto the gun better and more consistently, and seat uniformly into our hands after the first shot's been fired. That's worth a little extra money, in my book, but it's your gun, of course. Lots of grips out there, but it's hard to "test" many grips unless you're at a gun show, and a guy with a lot of grips is there plying his wares. But grips really DO make a difference, and sometimes, a BIG difference in how we shoot our pistols.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    This little girl has been by my side every day now for going on 7 years and shes getting alittle run down. The factory grips have delaminated and need replacing and Im here looking for guidence. No issues with the factory ones but I wouldnt mind an upgrade, need to keep it small and easily drawn from a pocket.

Grip preference is very individual. I myself don't particularly like the factory boot grip that comes with that gun. I'd hit up ebay and look for an Uncle Mike's Boot Grip. Same thing, but (IMHO & YMMV) feels better. To me.

I like Pachmayer Diamond Pros. Grippy without being thick, better purchase without being bulky.
    Right to left in pic:
    Diamond Pro, stock J frame, Hogue, Pachmayer Gripper

Banned
    The problem comes with pocket carry. There are a lot of options but outside of a boot grip or Tyler T-grip adaptor; almost all of them will increase the overall size of the gun.

The advantage of the boot grip isn't that it is a great grip for shooting (although it isn't too bad) but rather that it allows a decent hold without enlarging the gun.

When you start adding big grips to a J-frame you very quickly enter the territory of a K-frame revolver. There's no doubt that larger grips make J-frames easier to shoot but those larger grips defeat the very reason that a J-frame was selected in the first place.

Here's a trio of revolvers. From the bottom up; a 1 7/8" J-Frame with a boot grip, a 2" K-frame with a boot grip and 3" K-Frame with a S&W combat grip. All round butt frames.

Attachment 202470

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	202476
    I like the Pachmayr boot grips. Even the Pink ones.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

r ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    aarolr, you have good taste in guns and knives. Same EDC as me. My 442 came with some Desantis clip grip. I like the shape and feel. Good texturing for a good purchase if you hands at wet. The clip also offers some additional Cary options.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input guys Im still here and taking in all this information. Right now my top choices are a set of wood service grips with the Desantis Clip grip coming in a close second. I like the idea of having those extra carry options.

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Maybe it is just the end of a long day for me ... but seems that the are listed in L-R ... the gun has the Diamond Pro grip on it ...

I too like the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips ... viewed from the back, they a wider at the bottom, fills the palm of my hand better! Still a bit sticky in regards to clothes though ...

If your gonna pocket carry ... smaller is better, unless you got huge pockets, and/or it doesn't need to be completely concealed 100% of the time ... with the Diamond Pro grips a bit is visible at the top of my Carhart's pocket, with a boot grip, it snuggles in better, and the top of the pocket almost closes ...

Rubber usually is more comfortable to shoot ... wood looks nicer, and slides out of a pocket holster better ...
    Yep you are right, L to R with the diamond pros on the gun. It WAS a long day

Boolit Buddy

Pachmayer, compact . Has worked for me for years & I am no giant at 5'6" and 170. and I can pocket carry them with no issues. (Of course I dress like Emmet Kelly)

Boolit Master

Name:	P1030397.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	202527

There a two 642's in this picture the bottom most has the Crimson Trace original boot type grip. The other (upper left) has the newer CT version. That one is a Talo edition and came with their wooden finger grooved boot type grip. Which I promptly replaced. LCR 357 also has the CT grip......guess you can tell what I prefer. The Model 60 dons a set of grips I made from black and yellow micarta, fashioned after Bianchi's rubber shrouded grip. They are no longer made......and of course, an aluminum Tyler Grip Adaptor.

Winelover

Banned
    And while not for pocket carry, don't forget the "Werner Carry System":

https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2...-carry-system/

Boolit Master

442 grip recommendations

Spegel grips are on all my carry guns. Mr. Spegel is a master wood worker and a pleasure to talk with. Only draw back is his waiting list is about 12 months (last I checked). I would give him a call to see if he has any in stock.

Top is a S&W 649-3 with full sized J frame round butt grips. Bottom is a S&W 19-3 with K frame round butt boot grips with an extension.

S&W 340 (no lock) with J frame round butt boot grips.

Spegel also makes my favorite style of full sized grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 08-24-2017 at 08:50 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

I replaced my factory grips on my 442 Pro with a set of CT-305s. It's in my front pocket right now.
    Someone has a set of CT-205 in the swapping section for $100.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned
    I have a set of Craig Spegel boot grips on a Model 12 (with the early model narrow grip frame).

Spegel did incredibly good work! However, as 2ndAmendment pointed out, there's a significant wait time for Spegel grips (perfection doesn't come easy).

Attachment 202560

Boolit Master

l[/url]
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Man
    I just like the plain old wood grips, I really don't know why.

Name:	S&W .jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	202594
    Last edited by TXSlade; 08-26-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    HONOR
    If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Ron Swanson
    Pyramid of Greatness

Banned
    TXSlade - I like the factory Magna grips but I can't shoot well with them. Now if I add a Tyler T-grip adaptor to them, they work pretty well for me. The advantage of a T-grip adaptor is that it doesn't increase the overall size of the gun.

here's a Tyler T-grip on a Ruger Speed-Six:
    Attachment 202643

That little T-grip adaptor makes a huge improvement.