Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Martini Cadet .357

Boolit Master

Australian Martini Cadet .357

Years ago I picked up a Martini cadet that had been rebored to .357 magnum. I overheard the owner negotiating with a gun show dealer, and when they couldn't agree on price he walked away. I followed like a beagle on a rabbit trail and soon it was mine. It's a BSA cadet with a 7/11 acceptance date stamped into the stock along with the Commonwealth of Australia cartouche, and it has a KANGAROO stamped into the top of the receiver.
    I recall that I took it to the range and test fired it with my standard (at that time) .357 silhouette ram load for the Contender. I also recall that it grouped nearly a ragged hole at 50 yards and I know I was well pleased with the result. The rifle's pretty nice condition, has an EXCELLENT trigger and a very old-fashioned ladder rear sight that is fully adjustable.
    That rifle has hung over the fireplace for years along with a few other old single-shots but I finally hauled it out to the range last weekend and let son Matt (10 years old) give it a workout.
    The load was the same one that did so well in my first test. It uses the RCBS 180 gr. Silhouette bullet cast from linotype, gas checked, sized .357 and lubed w/ LBT blue - all over a stompin' charge of 296 that is no longer listed in most manuals but was a book maximum back in the '80s. I adjusted the rear sight to put it right on at 100 yards and fired three shots into about 2-1/2 inches. Not bad for these old eyes over VERY fuzzy, very small iron sights. I then turned it over to the boy with about 50 - 60 rounds left in the box. "Have at it laddie - remember, SQUEEZE the trigger...
    Matt worked away at it, and when I checked his targets I saw some fair groups with occasional flyers. I counseled him again on trigger control and went back to my own tasks - with occasional explanations to other shooters' questions of "What the heck is THAT?"
    Some time later it occurred to me that those flyers might not be Matt's fault - after all I had only fired a three shot group. I offered to try a couple of five shot groups but he said "Sorry dad, the ammo's all gone. You SAID I could shoot it as much as I wanted..."
    Matt likes to shoot "The Kangaroo Gun" now - and it looks like I need to fire up the pot again. I'll have to get out my Merit "Old Eyes" disc and make SURE the dang thing groups consistently although I'm confident that it will. It looks like I have a "position rifle" trainer for the boys - and it's been hanging over the fireplace just looking good all along.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's rifles like that I can almost always find a home for . Oddly enough , Finding a Martini around here doesn't happen all that often . A cadet is less likely Somebody's gotta be sitting on a whole boat load somewhere !!! ....... (please)

Jack

Try some Blue Dot in it when you fill the cases again. My Contender loves it in loads I wouldn't try in a revolver.
    Born OK the first time.

Super Moderator

...............Probably just as much fun would be simple wad cutters over a mild charge. Thier accuracy range ends at about 50 yards, but a good load should just stack'em in on top of each other.

Anyone interested in miniature Martini's should check out Thad Scott at:

http://www.thadscott.com/rifles.html

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    A cadet is less likely Somebody's gotta be sitting on a whole boat load somewhere !!! ....... (please) Jack
    Guilty as charged !! Got about 9 x Cadets, 7 x 303's, 2 x 577/450's, couple of shotties, a BPCR 40/65 and about 4 complete but in bits
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    It's rifles like that I can almost always find a home for . Oddly enough , Finding a Martini around here doesn't happen all that often . A cadet is less likely Somebody's gotta be sitting on a whole boat load somewhere !!! ....... (please)

Jack
    They're not all that common around here either. When I stumbled onto this one more than ten years ago it was probably the first Martini cadet I'd ever seen. I'm pretty sure I gave two hundred bucks for it - but I'd not let it go for that now. After I brought it home I did some research and learned that in many ways the cadet is the pinnacle of the Martini design, and near legendary for strength, durability and accuracy. Back in the 60s they practically GAVE 'em away. Sigh! I bought it because of the high weirdness factor and never even considered that it would be an excellent trainer, but of course that's what it was designed for.
    A few years later I saw two more cadets at a very high-class gun show. There were $40K British double rifles there - I saw my first ever actual held-it-in-my-hands Volcanic pistol there - and one of the dealers had both a BSA and a Greener cadet in the original .310 chambering. I was drooling over the Greener until I saw that the top of the receiver was full of divots - like some moron had tried to pound open the breech block with a crowbar. Grrrrrr! The dealer STILL wanted over four hundred dollars for it and I left it there.
    I'm mighty glad that I grabbed mine when I did.

Moderator Emeritus
    When I was a little younger, I was lucky enough to have one of these. As you mention they are a great little shooter, BUT I was silly enough to trade it off.

While I had it I did manage to take out a large feral cat with one round 158 gr JHP at 4' from the muzzle. (Lesson for the cat, "If someone wants your hide, don't sleep in the sunshine.")

If one was to turn up now in the shop, I would probably get the Martini .303" and bayonet out of the safe and stand guard on it until I could bring it home.

Currently seeking a .310" Cadet barrel which has been ruined but suitable to fresh out to .357" mag. The local dealer has a Cadet rifle in which the barrell is totalled; it is so dark inside that the only feature one can see is the light at the other end of the barrel. When the brush cames out it rauses a brown dust.

The problem is he wants too much for it.

If anyone offers to take it off your hands I would be showing them your front door on the way out.

John.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A mrtini cadet was the first rifle I ever bought and I had reasonable success with it. Given that I can't get too excited about them. I might be tempted by one in 17 Hornet, but it would have to be nice and it would have to be cheap. I have bought a couple recently to compete in the Martini matches the SSAA runs at the Military shoots, but as soon as my friends hear about them they buy them. First time I ever made money on a rifle the I didn't even get home, done it twice so far. Lost interest since. MIck.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Cadet

I picked a really nice one up last year for $350 in the original .310 chambering and love shooting it. It seems to show a preferance for Blue Dot although I haven't tried a lot of different powders.
    I also had a barreled action done in .357 that I am still stocking so haven't shot it yet. And just sent a barrel and 1215 action off to have it fitted up for 7X30 Waters with a Manlicher stock and scout scope. Should make a nice little deer gun (which is how I justify most of my guns). In reality I could outfit half the state with deer guns but it works for me.

Bob

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Mick:

I had a Cadet many years back, restocked and fitted withan Ackley barrel in a .17 on the .218 Bee case and an old steel 10x Weaver scope. It was pure delight to shoot. I decided to try something else (I forget what), sold the barrel to a friend, and sent the action to another friend for engraving, but he died soona fter and I didn't have the heart to badger the widow to get it back.

Did that box with the two cartridge books (Donnelly and "Cartridges of the World") ever arrive? I sent them Surface mail.

Doug
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Not sighted at this stage Floodgate. I have to go to Sydney on the 19th, I'll drop in and crowd Bill Marden (in a friendly sorta manner of course) Mick.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I drove four hundred miles to a show last weekend and did manage to spot a cadet . It seems the owner wanted to keep it judging by the price tag . They sure look like a neat rifle but for the kind of money they fetch now I think I'll stick with the old 1894C
    There are a lot of other neat rifles I can fool with to help drown my sorrows he he he he

Jack

I saw one last weekend at a show for $435. It looked original, but I kept walking for that price.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Master

If you find a good one at a reasonable price, buy it. They ain't makin them anymore and the price keeps going up. They have done better than some of my retirement accounts. Unfortunately when I retire and have time to shoot them I'll have to sell them to live. I sure won't be able support my shooting habit on social security.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    You know, I have a Cadet action only that I picked up awhile back. Didn't pay $50 for it. I have been wondering what caliber to rechamber it to and .357 seems about ideal.

I have been also wondering about how I am going to stock it. I have been thinking based on the stock socket at the back of the action that an Enfield stock would fit, anyone know? The foreend would have to be custom made based on whatever barrel I can find. I need to find a good, inexpensive .357 barrel for it as well. Pieces and parts......just looking to build a fun shooter to mess with.

One of the guys from Australia who lives near me, has a little cadet converted to 30/357Mag made from an old discarded target Bbl and he shoots cast in it. he is getting great results on goats, etc, and it is like a little wand it is so small and light. Mick.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick View Post
    One of the guys from Australia who lives near me, has a little cadet converted to 30/357Mag made from an old discarded target Bbl and he shoots cast in it. he is getting great results on goats, etc, and it is like a little wand it is so small and light. Mick.
    Mick,
    Is he the one who had an article on ambushing goats in one of the aussie hunting magazines?
    I had been toying around with a version of that cartridge, went so far as to make up some mock cartridges with a .25" neck.

An excellent idea for a shot out martini.

John.

Boolit Buddy

30/357 Martini

I think Mick is referring to me . He lives just up the road. I have one cadet re-barrelled to 30/357 magnum and another in 30/357 maximum. The small one wears a long eye relief Tasco scope and kicks 160 grain cast boolits out at 1650 fps. The other has not seen a lot of development yet but shows promise as the same boolit heads down range at over 2000 fps.
    At ranges out to about 150 yards the small one has proved effective on goat sized animals with one shot kills being usual as long as correct boolit placement is achieved.
    Heath

Boolit Master

Lawyerman, that is a heck of a good price for a cadet action. Why not make a really nice gun out of it though. There are a couple stockmakers that offer stocks for the cadet action and barrels shouldn't be to difficult to come by. They can be turned into a really nice work of art.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus
    Heathydee,

Good to hear from you. There would appear to be a couple of these 30/357 conversions around. They would make an interesting rifle especially for some of the Australian feral populations. My interest in a cartridge such as the 30/357 is for launching cast boolits.

IMO the capacity would give me close to 100% load efficiency in a small package and reduced airspace. Launching boolits upto 200gr weight at short ranges (100-200).

As I mentioned; there is an article in an Aussie hunting magazine from a shooter who reported on his hunt with one of these cadets. I believe I still have that issue here somewhere, but they don't give much detail on the cartridge (forming chambering etc.).

Hope to hear more of you on this forum,

John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast