Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5x53R Mannlicher Carbine Re-Do

Boolit Master
    Real 6.5X53R dies are rarely found used. The best prices for new dies are probably from CH4D.

The 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schonauer is nearly an identical die set.
    The back end of the 6.5X53R FL die is about .005 larger.
    If you have a way to spin the die you can polish the back half of the die out until it fits .303 Brit brass.

To make the brass you start with new RP or WW brass in .303. These cases are .450 to .452 just ahead of the rim. PPU brass does not work because the head is too large at .454 to .455.
    Round up the case mouths with a .311 expander.
    Then push the shoulder back with a series of .308 Win and 7-08 and 6.5 FL or trim dies. Then FL size and trim to length.
    PM me for more detailed instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Good Cheer,

I have a M95 6.5x53R original carbine. I have clips. Where do you find brass and reloading dies?

Adam
    P
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I have done basically the same thing using a 7.62x54R die for setting the shoulder back, and a 6.5x55 die for neck sizing. I imagine a 6.5x52 Carcano die will also work.

Boolit Master
    For those who can polish out the back end of a Carcano die and set the shoulder location correctly Carcano dies will work fine.
    I currently use a 7.35 Carcano FL die for the first step of forming 6.5X53R cases. The die that I use was made by RCBS and is larger than most Carcano dies at the head end of the case.
    Since few shooters have a 7.35 die set use of a .308 Win die is more likely. The 7.62X54R Russian die can also be used for the first operation to shove the shoulder back.
    There are a number of other dies that can be used to mash new .303 brass down enough to get it to chamber in a Dutch rifle.
    Once chambered and fire formed a 6.5x55 die set can be used for neck sizing and seating.

The shoulder of a .303 case is only about .404 diameter so the case body is already small enough to fit the chamber if you can push the shoulder back.
    I have used a .250 Savage trim die to push the shoulder back because the trim die is .010 larger than a FL die .
    I have also used a wildcat 6.5 X 250 Savage FL die to push the shoulder back. I have not used it but a 6.5X50SR Japanese die will probably work too.
    If you have a bunch of junk or Berdan .303 cases and the inclination to monkey around with a variety of dies you can make some combination work without buying the real dies.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    I have done basically the same thing using a 7.62x54R die for setting the shoulder back, and a 6.5x55 die for neck sizing. I imagine a 6.5x52 Carcano die will also work.
    Last edited by EDG; 04-13-2018 at 02:25 PM.
    EDG

When you get your reloading dies check for dimensions with fired versus full length resized.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12