RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my retirement

Two years and three months left. After the week I've had not soon enough.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations on all of the lives well lived.

I turn 65 this Sunday. I have been in education for 35 years as a teacher/administrator at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. Five years ago I was the administrator of a private Christian school and contracted my second lung disease. The prognosis wasn't great and it zapped all my energy. I decided it was time to retire. Then I responded to a old drug that no one uses anymore and I started to get my energy back but still no where close to normal. Some parents asked me to help them start a new Classical Christian School and I did but with the understanding that after it was going well I would be gone. In a year it was running like a well oiled machine so I retired again. Just as I was leaving that, a parent who was on the board of a local non-profit called and asked for my administrative assistance. That lasted 9 months and they asked me to stay on but I declined. That was two years ago in July and when my wife went back to work in a school in August, I got very antsy. It lasted about 5 days and I thought I would do a little subbing. The district knows me and called me and now I work with special education students providing assistive technology to make their lives better. It hardly pays anything but that isn't important anymore. I get to make an impact on the lives of many students who will never remember me or even know who I am. Now I contemplating another year of this while my wife plans to exit in another year as well so we could go out at the same time. I do find as I get older, my patience with some adult attitudes is not what it used to be! I have no time for stupidity. I still love kids and want to help them even though there are days when I wonder what I am thinking and could be doing whatever I want to do. Sometimes it isn't about us, its about those we are put on this earth to serve. I try to go to the gym at least 4 times a week, lift and work out so overall in good health considering two major lung diseases but the reality is non of us knows our appointed day. Blessings to all of you who have figured it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Retired Re Tired twice as tired as you were before. Now you can really get busy!

Retired at 69, 2 yrs ago
    Got bored to death
    Nice to have the time, but after working 52 years its hard for me to relax and enjoy.
    Once in a while in the summer, it is nice to sit under the tree with wifey drink iced tea and watch the grass grow.
    I still cast & shoot my guns, but a year ago I had to work on my lawn mower and enjoyed it.
    Now I have several riders and about 20 engines sitting here waiting for spring to be worked on.
    All mine, so I can work on them at my leisure.
    Want to make Mow karts out of most of them and maybe a Briggs powered dragster just for giggles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6869039183_00424f2e74.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	234945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	briggs-and-stratton-18-hp-twin-and-vanguard-v-twin-petrol-engine-and-hp-engine-wiring-briggs-and.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	234946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Go-kart-Kit-go-carts-and-cool-wagons-Pinterest-Motors-For-kids-and-Go-kart-kits.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	234948
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rail.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

If financially able, and hobbies delayed, retire asap. Every day spent working is a day of pleasure lost.
    Don't expect to live on less. The only savings will be travel expenses, to and from work.
    If not prepared for time on your hands, plan ahead with retirement in mind.
    On the other hand if you have a job you really enjoy, and no hobbies, work on as long as you're able.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

I think the hardest thing for me was to learn that I could do it tomorrow. Took me about a year out here to finally grasp that concept and everything is so much nicer now. Divorce will be finalized this year so nobody to complain you didn't finish this or that. I have so many projects and things to do I can keep busy for years. Dating now and life is good. I have noticed that some folks can get real jealous when you are retired and they aren't. Just met a really great woman. Cross fingers for me as I think she is a keeper.

Vendor Sponsor

I am about 1.5 years away ..Hoping the health will hold up for me to enjoy some time !!
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Retired now.
    WooHoo!!!!

Banned

Brass Magnet has left the building.
    Congratulations

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations to all of you guys that are retired. I hope you have a long and enjoyable one. I've been retired for 3-1/2 years. Me and Mama get to travel some. We make most of the Grandchildrens ball games and gymnastics meets. I reload, cast and shoot about as much as I want. If I want to go to Deer camp a week before the season opens or stay a week after it closes, I can.

But the best part! I'm home at night when its storming and the wind chill is dangerously low vs being out in it! Strangely enough I do miss it a little.

Congrats to all of you who retired, and those that can’t...hang in there.

There’s a HUGE push in the foundries world to try and retain more of the “knowledge” that’s leaving the industry every time one of you retires. Virtual reality programs, and “mixed reality” viewers are the new thing. With the goggles on, you can walk through a plant, see what info you guys gave them, in relation to machines, equipment, and processes.

Boolit Master

Well I retired from my job with a state government as a civil engineer 15 years ago. Best decision I made except for the reduced funds to live on. A few years ago went back to college and got my masters degree and thought of this as a new career, then life got in the way, old injuries and a car wreck changed that so I am still retired, with a huge student loan and have accepted that for me new employment just might not be there. So I have looked at what is fun and do that. Oh one thing that is nice in retirement I get to get up and go to bed when I feel like it and no one can tell me I am late.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbs70 View Post
    Retired at 69, 2 yrs ago
    Got bored to death
    Nice to have the time, but after working 52 years its hard for me to relax and enjoy.
    Once in a while in the summer, it is nice to sit under the tree with wifey drink iced tea and watch the grass grow.
    I still cast & shoot my guns, but a year ago I had to work on my lawn mower and enjoyed it.
    Now I have several riders and about 20 engines sitting here waiting for spring to be worked on.
    All mine, so I can work on them at my leisure.
    Want to make Mow karts out of most of them and maybe a Briggs powered dragster just for giggles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6869039183_00424f2e74.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	234945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	briggs-and-stratton-18-hp-twin-and-vanguard-v-twin-petrol-engine-and-hp-engine-wiring-briggs-and.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	234946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Go-kart-Kit-go-carts-and-cool-wagons-Pinterest-Motors-For-kids-and-Go-kart-kits.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	234948
    Dude, you have the luckiest grandkids! When I was a kid, 40 + years ago... I had a crappy go cart and some welding skills from Dad and we mounted an old chain saw engine on it and fabricated the drive linkages. Talk about fun!

Boolit Master
    Some people live for their job... Most use their job as a tool to pay for the life they enjoy.

Don't feel bad for the guy who punches a clock doing something stinky for 30 years when that job pays for him and his family to do what they love to do.....

For example - I worked with an older lady. She worked weekend QC. Wondered why she never would retire instead of just grinding away forever at this job.... Well - she had adopted 3 of her grand kids. Had all them taken care of with her benefits. She kept them during the week, was home to make sure they could do their homework and play sports - they were her entire life, and she enjoyed every second she had with them. THAT was her dream - and the company paid for her dream...

Same thing for another guy I worked with.... He just ground out every day in the plant to pay for his Country Music singing career. He was a regional headliner - super talented... But Hank Williams covers won't put food on your table or send your kids through college.... So the plant paid for his country music career and put his kids through school...

Another guy I worked with was a weekend shift supervisor. He fished all week, even guided professionally. Work paid for all that and gave him benefits that professional fishing never could supply...

The ones I really feel worst about is the ones who feel bound to a "good job" which makes their outside work life miserable. I know a woman who teaches. She has a husband with a good job and a couple kids. That's the good life, The American Dream - right? Wrong.... Her school teacher career requires 14+ hours a day.... Her kids are in Afterschool till after 5 which drives her nuts - and she hates the fact that she can't put them in sports or really spend any daylight hours with them being Mom.... Then her and the husband spend 4 hours each night on the evening march with the kids - dinner, homework, baths, bed - and it's back to teacher work till 11....

Which ones of these are the ones living the American Dream vs which ones are being eaten by it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It took me nearly a year and a half before I realized I don't HAVE to make or do something every day. I can sit and read, go fishing, camping, go visiting, or just poke around the property. I'm getting to like retirement more and more.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Retirement isn't quitting work, it's more changing jobs for one more enjoyed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I wish I could talk my dad into retiring. For an old-school farmer from a time when a man’s work is a man’s worth, retirement is a bad word. Old farmers never retire; they just slow down until they can’t go anymore.

To me it’s sad. They’ve gotten to a place financially where they haven’t had to physically work for some years now, but he chooses to because it’s all he knows. I’ve told them for years that they should take this time to get out and enjoy life, travel a bit or something while they still can. They’ll be octogenarians in a couple years. Their choice though.

My grandfather was the same way. He’d come to visit and he’d want to go cut a load of firewood for us, at 90! He felt that if he wasn’t working, he wasn’t a man.
    Last edited by fatelk; 02-06-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I wish I could talk my dad into retiring. For an old-school farmer from a time when a man’s work is a man’s worth, retirement is a bad word. Old farmers never retire; they just slow down until they can’t go anymore.

To me it’s sad. They’ve gotten to a place financially where they haven’t had to physically work for some years now, but he chooses to because it’s all he knows. I’ve told them for years that they should take this time to get out and enjoy life, travel a bit or something while they still can. They’ll be octogenarians in a couple years. Their choice though.

My grandfather was the same way. He’d come to visit and he’d want to go cut a load of firewood for us, at 90! He felt that if he wasn’t working, he wasn’t a man.
    My experience has been that people with that mind set do not last long when/if forced into retirement in any manner. You are certainly correct when you say " Their choice though"! More power and a long happy life to them!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

That’s one thing that worries me. Sooner or later health forces us all to slow down.

Boolit Master

bbs70
    AND if you lived in Amarillo, we would work on my boat motors
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast