Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple/cheap patch lube?

Boolit Master
    Mink oil works for me too, just hard squeezing out the oil

Banned

real "gato feo" for me - easy to acquire all the ingredients, easy to make, pour into a milk carton to cool, cut off cakes, rub onto both sides of yer patch strip, use a heat gun or hair dryer to melt the lube into the cloth weave, allow to cool for a minute, roll up, ready to use today or next year, never goes bad, always ready in any temperature or climate, a Superior Lube for muzzleloaders and bpcr alike.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Crisco, wax, bacon grease in equal parts.
    Bacon fat will have salt in it. Be sure to mix it with water a couple of times to remove the salt.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Olive Oil and Beeswax heated and Mixed to a Butter consistency.Just put a small piece between finger and thumb to grease the patch.There is no need to dip the patch that would be too much.The Butter should be about as soft as real butter when cold.

Boolit Master
    have any of you guys tried UDDERLY SMOOTH HAND CREAM as a patch lube and a bullet lube? we call it UDDER BUDDER. all of the guys up north in the big wood pile CANADA swear by it. they lube their patches with it and dip their cast bullet heads in it be fore shooting BP. cartridges. it rely keeps the fouling to a minimum and rely soft for more loads. go on the site BRITISH MUZZLE LOADERS and see them using it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well Mink oil works as well as ANYTHING I have used & I have used so many different lubes over the last 40 years. I care not what any use
    here, I just said what works for me.

Geezzzzz Fly
    Geeeeez Fly, I wasn't criticizing your choice, I was just curious about it's properties. I still have a tub of Herter's Mink Oil dubbing for boot protection. Absolutely the best in the world for that according to Mr. Herter.

Boolit Master
    how do you remove the salt from bacon fat with water?? it must be fun trying to mix fat and water to remove salt. if you can please let me know how to do it?

Boolit Master

As you see.. just about any animal and plant fat/wax works. find one you like.. go with it. I like beeswax thinned with whatever I have on hand ( I make soap, so I have lots of oil-fats laying around ).. just about anything that is not wet and liquid at room temp works as a good lube.

Boolit Master

Just about anything can be used I like sheep tallow, mixed with beeswax,but for the cap and ball use Vaseline 30%tallow 20% Crisco 20%And 30% beeswax you can add a. Little more beeswax if you'd like a stiffer lube.I make it in a double boiler too. Any one of the above items mixed with beeswax will work alone. I won't keep muzzle loader loaded over night your asking for problems. Just my opinion be safe and have fun
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I had to make an order from Track of the Wolf anyways, so I went ahead and got some mink oil to try. If noting else, I can use it on my boots.

I've been experimenting with Coconut oil as a patch lube. It's solid below about 75 degrees but liquid above that. Will melt in your hands. Jury is still out.

Coconut oil worked for me as well: Inexpensive, effective, no mixing of ingredients, easy to find. What's not to like? OTOH, I also like and use "Stumpy's Moose Snot," but use vegetable oil (canola, olive, peanut) instead of castor oil as per the recipe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Bacon fat will have salt in it. Be sure to mix it with water a couple of times to remove the salt.
    Potassium nitrate is a salt and is 75% of the makeup of black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    This right here is the answer. A large tub of mink oil tallow is cheap.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...210/3/MINK-OIL

I am new to blackpowder so I have been testing things and deciding on what works for me. At the range I spit patch but I bought some mink oil tallow to try. So far it works great.
    Interesting, the ad mentions they're 8oz. twice, while the cans clearly show 6oz. Who to believe? lol

Boolit Master

i'd believe the can over the add.

LOOB
    Lanolin, olive oil and beeswax.

I'm gonna try this stuff too. As a freebie it's a pretty good adjunct ingredient for boolit lubes and except in the case of advanced olfactory failure you won't need to add a crayon to tell which batch it's in.
    https://daxhaircare.com/product/super-lanolin/

Boolit Master

Good price!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    how do you remove the salt from bacon fat with water?? it must be fun trying to mix fat and water to remove salt. if you can please let me know how to do it?
    You put the bacon fat in a pan and put water over it. Then heat it so everything is melted together...stir a bit.
    Let cool, put in fridge to help cool quickly. Skim the fat off, dump water and repeat a couple of times.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I use Ballistol oil for patch lube.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    I've always used TC pine scented bore butter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast