RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Modified Dillion powder die

Banned

Modified Dillion powder die

I've been mulling this around for some time and I've hit a wall.

I've been thinking about a custom powder through die (actually just the expander) for a Dillon 550B for 38 Special.

I was thinking about an expander profile similar to a Lyman M die or a RCBS Cowboy die that could be used for full wadcutters.

I want the expander to go deeper in the case to reduce the chance of the casing swaging the bullet down but I don't want to remove all of the neck tension. I also don't want to overwork the mouth of the casing where that M die type step is located.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Has someone done this already?

They sell them on evilbay. I forget who makes them, but they replicate the m-die and are set up for Dillon powder measures. I want to say they are around $30ea? Cheaper than I'd care to one-off one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    ThePerfessor on this site, sells em. I have one for 9mm in 357 and it flares the case as needed for lead boolit insertion.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    ThePerfessor on this site, sells em. I have one for 9mm in 357 and it flares the case as needed for lead boolit insertion.

I haven't seen ThePrefessor on this site for a long time--like at least a year.
    If you have a current post let us know so we can follow him--he's a master craftsman
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't seen him around either but if you pm him he answers, I think.

Banned
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Late to the thread. I agree that most don’t go deep enough into the case and sizing diameters are not right for my liking. That is why I’m going to make my own. Just posted a thread on the same topic earlier today. Still trying to decide what metal alloy to use.

Boolit Grand Master

Should be a pretty easy part to turn up. I might try it tuned up like this tension size for .200 then a light snug bullet fit to case mouth ( maybe just .0005-.001 under your bullet dia and a light belling step. I think I would drill the hole thru smaller and ream from nose with a taper pin reamer so the powder hole got slightly bigger as it went down. ( Might help with any bridging) a light hardening and polish. Better would be a hard chrome plating but that's a little expensive on one offs.
    Your idea may help in several ways. 1) the bullet wont be swaged down by the case near as much. 2) the added dia to the case may help center the loaded round better. 3) the bullet will be started straighter into the case.

Boolit Grand Master

As to alloy I would use a good 4140 steel and harden it. Even cold rolled and case hardening it would work good. Drill rod will work but might get pretty brittle if not drawn back. Any steel will work even soft cold roll may out last you since its working in brass and not super heavy loads.

Boolit Master
    Lathesmith hereon tge forum did my Dillon powder through funnel for me. Excellent work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by krems View Post
    Late to the thread. I agree that most don’t go deep enough into the case and sizing diameters are not right for my liking. That is why I’m going to make my own. Just posted a thread on the same topic earlier today. Still trying to decide what metal alloy to use.
    krems, I turned my modified Dillon powder/sizing dies from O-1, oil hardening drill rod. Mine are not heat treated and they have no measurable wear after several thousand reloads. Hope this helps, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Buddy
    I’ll try some 0-1, and 4140 / 4130 since I have some round stock already. I’m not sure if any of the leaded alloys 12L14 would work as I really like turning that material. Might try that as well. I think I’m going .002” under bullet diameter for the main body and .0025” over bullet diameter for the slight step before the belled portion. Not planning on plating the funnel die either. Lots of good tips. I’ll report back. Thanks.

Boolit Master

W1 non-hardened is said to resist wear well. It is 1095 and can be hardened for greater wear resistance. Whatever you use, give it a good polish to reduce friction with the case.