Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Wire Pliers

Boolit Master

Safety Wire Pliers

In another thread a conversation popped up about identification and use of Safety Wire Pliers, so to avoid hijacking the OP’s excellent thread I have opted to start a new topic. Many have seen different fasteners over the years that include thru holes in the wrench head or nuts and other fasteners that have holes drilled thru the wrenching flats and wondered what they were for. Safety wire is predominantly found in the aircraft world where fastener retention is a paramount concern and shows up in racing and some high vibration commercial applications. The conversation mentioned really revolves around the tool. Though I am not a leading expert in the technology and engineering behind when and where safety wire is needed, I have definite experience on ground vehicles while in the military I am sure some of the aircraft oriented members will chime in.
    The description and use is well covered in Wikipedia and there are U-tube videos so I won’t spend time going over it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_wire

In general to apply safety wire a set of specialty pliers are used. There are basically 2 different sizes available, a smaller 6in, and a more generic 9in length and can be found at the usual places to get tools to include northern and horrible freight. The size used depends on the selected wire size and application. Both operate same way, the pliers consist of the semi needle nose jaws to help push and pull the wire through the fastener, wire cutters and a knurled gripping section to grip the wire, the handle end which includes a locking latch to clamp down on the wire and the mechanism that spins the tool on a square helix shaft to impart the twisting action to the wire when the handle is pulled. Once the mechanics are understood it can be done manually using a pair of vice grips, but the results are generally an ugly mess demonstrating why there is a proper tool for the job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pliers 1.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	220116Attachment 220117

The process is fairly simple to describe, loop the wire through the hole around the fastener, clamp into the pliers, apply the twist which will also draw the wire in to conform with the fastener, connect to the second fastener (or fixed point) in the direction of tightening, feed the receiving fastener in the direction of tightening and twist again, clip of the excess and curl or fold the end in to avoid having a “spike” that will snag you or your clothing (I have the scars from bad jobs).

Attachment 220118

Sounds easy enough until you get into the actual application. It is definitely a thinking game and a definite lesson in patience. To train the young pups we had a metal block with fasteners all around in different orientations for them to practice on and some never really mastered the skill. The first major hurdle is connecting the fasteners in the tightening direction (normally clockwise), having the start and end of the twist at the fastener holes (second hurdle) and getting the backwards “S” look. This is easy enough when the fasteners have the holes aligned to a relative twelve to six orientation with each other. But being the real world most fasteners end up everywhere but perfectly aligned (worst case is with both fasteners at 9-3). Note the need to loop twisted portion around the fastener.

Attachment 220119

The second hurdle to overcome is the length of the twisted area, as the wire is twisted it actually shortens in length making the connection to the second point either too short (better because you can re-bite and twist to the desired length) or worst case too long eliminating the ability to get a nice tight wire lay between the two fasteners. If applied properly the wire can be plucked like a guitar string and remain looped around the fasteners.

Name:	wire 4.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	220120

The third hurdle is while attempting to get the wire to lay, wrap and twist correctly is not to break it. Overenthusiastic twisting will break the wire, generally at the root of the twist. If attempting to do a multiple fastener job sometimes the work can be salvaged by cutting back to the last pair of “good” wired fasteners.

Attachment 220121

Done well it can be a piece of art. Like anything it is a definite skill and takes practice. The last thing a Mech wanted to hear was the snip of wire cutters when his installation job is being inspected by QA.

Name:	wire 6.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	220122

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Nicely done! You could work on my Trashauler anytime.

Attachment 220123
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

A good safety wire job is a thing of beauty. It takes a bit of thought and skill. A bad job can be ugly and even dangerous. You posted some nice pictures of good examples!

My former boss was a crew chief on F4's in Thailand during the Cambodian bombing years. He spoke about those pliers but I could never picture them. He had lots of stories but my favorite one involved having a cluster munitions unit break open on landing. He and several others were picking up bomblets off the runway. I asked him if he was worried and he said that the bomblets had to spin to arm so it was safe to pick them up. I asked him if the folks who told him how safe those bomblets were to pick up were out there with him or standing way back. He got a stricken look on his face and said "Now that I think about it they were waaay back."
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Pics brought back memories of RVN; UH-1s were practically held together by safety wire.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

One thing overlooked, is that for each wire diameter there is a specific number of twists per inch.

This is important to retain the strength of the safety wire and thus fastener security.

After a bit, you just kind of know what looks right for the different sizes, and do not have to count.

Thank you for the tutorial.

Boolit Master

I've had a set for years, first got them to make my own rigs:

Name:	GCCR4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	220125

We mainly used these for our crew-serve weapons, but they have other uses.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    While I do not work on planes (much) I do work for an airline (FedEx) and use mine for many things including on-the-spot fuel line clamps. I have also used them to hang "no trespassing" signs on my fences. Excellent tool!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I started work as an A&P in 1967 and never owned a pair of safety wire pliers. I started with ducks & dikes (duckbill pliers and diagonal cutters) and used them my whole career. For me it was quicker to twist by hand, particularly if the bolts were close together. Just a personal preference.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Did a bunch of that long ago, sure don't miss getting stuck by the wire, especially the fine stuff. Heard a story once of a B-52 having some body work done in avionics section of the fuselage, seems they found hundreds of pounds of the stuff that had been cut off and tossed in the holes punched in the mounts in the EW area!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Nicely done! You could work on my Trashauler anytime.

Attachment 220123
    I got to ride one f those last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, wish I had a set. We used them to keep.... bags or Ices closed, when I worked for Coca Cola special events in the 70"s. Wouldn't want that ice to escape now would we.

What a great tool, I may get a pair before too long.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I started work as an A&P in 1967 and never owned a pair of safety wire pliers. I started with ducks & dikes (duckbill pliers and diagonal cutters) and used them my whole career. For me it was quicker to twist by hand, particularly if the bolts were close together. Just a personal preference.
    Me too, I got a pair of wire pliers, but never use them, I prefer to twist by hand,
    I would have to re-do all the above safeties, except for one.
    Twisting safety wire is quickly becoming a thing of the past, now there is safety cable, and many QA departments are mandating it, sometimes it easier, sometimes hand twist is better.

Boolit Buddy
    Had to safety wire MC while racing bikes during the mid to late 80s. Raced a Yahama FZ 750.

Boolit Master
    I worked for General Electric aircraft division and remember those pliers well. They were used in the assembly area when I was in the tool crib. They were used to fasten done parts to fixtures that needed to be mig/tig weld.

Boolit Master
    I still have 2 of the large & 1 of the small. All approx. 35+ years old I would reckon. Used them back when I was working on CH-46s. Still use them on occasion as well even now, but I also prefer to "hand twist". The pliers though, work real well in confined spaces where your hands can't get in there very easily...

Interesting subject & brought back some memories...
    Thnx!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Harbor freight has safety wire pliers. I bought a pair a while back. Not near the quality as the pliers I used working for my uncle Sam.

Boolit Master
    Worked on Chinooks and Hueys, never used the safety wire pliers while active duty. Wasn't until I joined the Army guard when I became acquainted with them. Quite a time saver.

Boolit Master

I used to work on that trash hauler and your ride (10 years ago). I have gone to other flying hunks of metal now. Not technical to allowed to use the pliiers on the .020 safety wire. Only on the .030 and larger. I am amazing at it at it now thanks to my jerk boss at the time. Some things you can even see it while you do it.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Another former Naval Aviation guy here...

Hated safety wiring, but became well versed in it keeping a fleet of the oldest SH-3s in the fleet in service.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast