RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tamale pie

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Tamale pie

Anybody got a recipe for tamale pie ? haven't made one in at least 35 years . Just happened to think about it the other day . Always liked it ...don't even know why I quit making it .
    Last edited by Boaz; 06-17-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 box corn muffin mix (such as JIFFY)
    1 large egg
    1/2 c. sour cream
    1/2 c. canned creamed corn
    1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. chili powder
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb. ground beef
    1/3 c. red enchilada sauce
    1 c. shredded cheddar
    1 c. shredded Monterey jack
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a large oven-safe skillet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn. Transfer to prepared skillet and bake until golden, 20 minutes. Let cool.
    Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, cumin, and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
    Poke entire surface of cornbread with a fork and pour over enchilada sauce. Add beef and top with cheeses.
    Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melty, about 20 minutes. Switch oven to broil, remove foil, and broil until cheese turns golden, about 5 minutes.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Thank you sir ! I have something to work with .
    Last edited by Boaz; 06-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

You don't want mine, it's from my college days and involves two cans of Hormel Chile , lots of Velveeta , a can of corn , pickled jalapeno's . diced onion and bell pepper and Frito's Corn chips .

I would fix this for supper , the girl I was dating at the time married me anyway....would you believe we still fix this every now and again ...nostalgia I guess and easy and cheap dinner .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You don't want mine, it's from my college days and involves two cans of Hormel Chile , lots of Velveeta , a can of corn , pickled jalapeno's . diced onion and bell pepper and Frito's Corn chips .

I would fix this for supper , the girl I was dating at the time married me anyway....would you believe we still fix this every now and again ...nostalgia I guess and easy and cheap dinner .
    I would like to see yours , then will go from there. Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Okay...here it is , this recipe is for those who don't like to cook .

1 bag Fritos Corn Chips
    2 - 15 oz. cans Hormel Chili (or your favorite brand or home cooked chili)
    1 - 15 oz. can whole kernel corn , drained
    1- chopped onion
    1 - chopped bell pepper
    pickled or fresh sliced jalapeno pepper..to taste
    sliced green and/or black olives ...to taste
    1 - 16 oz. block Velveeta Cheese , chilled and sliced .

Preheat oven to 350
    In a 8" x 8" x 3" deep pyrex baking dish , cover the bottom with 1 layer of Fritos then:
    layer evenly 1 can chile , 1/2 can of corn , some onions , bell pepper, olives and jalapenos .
    Cover the first layer in slices of Velveeta cheese .

Starting with another layer of Fritos , repeat the above , ending with a top layer of Velveeta .

Pop the pie into the oven until everything is hot and the top layer of cheese is all melty and bubbley . I like when the edges get a little brownish .
    Check after 30 mins. and keep an eye on it. My wife cooks it the microwave , 2.5 mins on high and then 30 sec. more intervals until it all heated through.

This isn't real cooking , I call it cooking from a can and a bag .... but I enjoy eating it .

Feel free to use any flavor Chili , I usually use a can with and a can without beans , sometimes I drizzle some salsa or picante sauce between the layers .
    Feel free to add any ingredient you think would taste good .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-18-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I left out the olives...they're optional
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thank you now have 2 to work on .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Velvetta,
    GEEZ, that stuff is awful. Use a big handfull of Shredded Cheddar/Monteray Jack.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

We'd mix up a pan recipe of cornbread, put it in a baking dish or cast iron skillet and add about 3 to 4 cups of chili--homemade or canned. Pop it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Supper! You can add a teaspoon of ground cumin and a teaspoon of chili powder to the cornbread mixture. Usually the cornbread rises and bakes over the chili.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Velvetta,
    GEEZ, that stuff is awful. Use a big handfull of Shredded Cheddar/Monteray Jack.
    I know it's awful but this is the one dish that still taste best, to me , with good old original ,all melty Velveeta Cheese . I've tried it with real cheese and real home cooked chili and it just doesn't have that 1967 college days , being single and having to cook for your self , nostalgic taste ...
    Nope.... gotta be Velveetta and caned Chili and canned corn or it ain't right !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    We'd mix up a pan recipe of cornbread, put it in a baking dish or cast iron skillet and add about 3 to 4 cups of chili--homemade or canned. Pop it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Supper! You can add a teaspoon of ground cumin and a teaspoon of chili powder to the cornbread mixture. Usually the cornbread rises and bakes over the chili.
    This is the way my Mom would make it , Her home made chili with ground beef ...the Chili would go to the bottom and the cornbread would go to the top and make the "Pie " ! I do remember the olives in hers .
    I tried several times to make it like she did , but mine never tasted as good Mom's , that's when I discovered the Frito Pie concoction...I do include the olives like she did .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"