Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Tumble Lubing--Made Easy & Mess-Free

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    16oz. I 2 coat.

I have to apologise. For many years I have been thinking that the standard Lee squeeze bottle was 2 ounces. It is most definitely not, it is 4 ounces.

One 16 oz. can JPW & one 4 ounce bottle Lee Alox.
    Last edited by Hamish; 05-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel033 View Post
    Yes me also. I.know its probably been asked, but curious to know the velocity limit of this lube. I love the stuff, only used it at 1200 so far.
    I can't help you with a definite velocity limit.

I can tell you I've run it in 7.62x54r at 1800fps with a well-fitted boolit and no leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    No, it cools to a very soft solid, like wet instant mashed potatoes. It cohesive enough to drag a bullet through it and come out it with enough to do a Cool-Whip bowl full, but instantly liquifies.
    Hamish can you post a pic of how much lube is there when you "drag a bullet through"

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Let me get this right - For the KISS LUBE, you soften a 16 oz can of JPW then mix in a 4 oz bottle of LLA.
    Then do you swirl the bullets in a Cool Whip container like you do with straight LLA?

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Let me get this right - For the KISS LUBE, you soften a 16 oz can of JPW then mix in a 4 oz bottle of LLA.
    Then do you swirl the bullets in a Cool Whip container like you do with straight LLA?
    That's it.................I have 4 bottles of LLA so I should be set for awhile. My goal is to push these to the point of leading just for giggles and to see what it will hold. Then just load the usual plinking stuff. I still have about 8 oz of WLL 45-45-10 left so when that's gone I try a batch.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow and get me some JPW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Hamish can you post a pic of how much lube is there when you "drag a bullet through"

Thanks
    Think pea size, pencil eraser, baby small grape. The original instructions were that if you could see lube on the dried bullets, it was more than you needed, which is true, but I've always gone a little bit heavy. I like two coats. Early on, I gave rifle bullets three. I don't think it was necessary now, but I guess it didn't hurt either.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Yes me also. I.know its probably been asked, but curious to know the velocity limit of this lube. I love the stuff, only used it at 1200 so far.
    I can't give you a number because I didn't own a chronograph at the time, but before I owned a sizer I used to shoot a Lee 400 grain bullet lubed with straight LLA out of of a microgroove Marlin 45/70 using load data for an equivalent weight jacketed bullet. IIRC the load book puts that at around 1800fps. There was no leading and accuracy was fine.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Think pea size, pencil eraser, baby small grape. The original instructions were that if you could see lube on the dried bullets, it was more than you needed, which is true, but I've always gone a little bit heavy. I like two coats. Early on, I gave rifle bullets three. I don't think it was necessary now, but I guess it didn't hurt either.
    Wow .......a batch of this would last a looooong time

Thanks

Boolit Master

Yes, hollywood, it will! Unless you shoot thousands of rouns per week, that is.....................
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Does anyone know how LLA compares to Alox 606-55. It is my understanding that LLA is Alox 606 with a larger solvent cut.

I just sold some Alox 606-55 to get rid of the excess quantity that I had and would never use up. I would like to be able to answer questions that some of the buyers had.

I know that you can just keep adding solvent until it can hardly be seen on the boolit but that takes time when you start from scratch. It has been a long time and I don't remember what I arrived at. Too soon old, too late smart.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

alamogunnr, I used to use LLA cut with MS without adding the JPW but that was years ago. I don't recall the ratio of MS to LLA but I can tell you that you want it to run like water out of the squeeze bottle. Just keep adding MS (or Naphtha) until it does.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

John,

"Ok, all the research is done and I have gotten a great price on what amounts to LLA. The formula is Alox-606-55-HF, this is 55% alox 606 cut with High flash point (172 degrees) Mineral Spirits." -Wiljen

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uy-Starts-Here

Boolit Master
    I have used the 45/45/10 tumble lube in .308 into the 1600 range without trouble. Gas checked and Lyman #2 alloy.

Boolit Master

I made my first batch of KISS. Blended a 16oz can of JPW with a 4oz bottle LLA. I now probably have a 10 year supply I wasn't sure how much to put in my swirl-around cup, probably used too much. I lubed 50 .44 cal bullets for my rolling block and set them aside to dry. It took a full day to dry, it was a fairly thick coat. Next time I'll reduce the amount. Hopefully I can get to the range later this week to try them out.

Advise from Hamish...............is what I used

Boolit Master

John,

"Ok, all the research is done and I have gotten a great price on what amounts to LLA. The formula is Alox-606-55-HF, this is 55% alox 606 cut with High flash point (172 degrees) Mineral Spirits." -Wiljen

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uy-Starts-Here
    I have just realized that I have been in error when I stated that Alox 606-55 was 55% solvent cut. I remember, sort of, reading that somewhere. Probably stated by someone just as ignorant as I was in following along.

I just went to the MSDS for Alox 606-55 and the statement Hamish posted(the quote from Wiljen) is correct. The 55% is an approximation of the Alox content since the MSDS specifies a mineral spirit percentage as "from 40 to 49.9 percent. This percentage of solvent is not a big deal, getting it backward is a big deal.

Doesn't change things too much as long as we strive for the mix that works for us.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    When using Hamish's Kiss formula of adding 4 oz Alox to JPW, I understand that the type of Alox does not matter. For example, I can add the 606-55 or the Lee Alox version. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Just read 42 pages of comments that spanned 9 years; took me about a week, I probably read half of it couple years ago when I made my lube and even though I screwed up, I got sub moa group on the first try in 300 BLK with undersized bullets! It was significantly better group than what I was getting normally with powder coated bullets. I can see same questions asked over and over again, made me wonder why there isn’t a Frequently Asked Section in the original post. Most posts can be summarized in to following questions/statements, please don’t get offended, this meant to be taken lightly with dose of humor / exaggerated.............
    AWESOME wrap-up! My fav. " I haven’t sized my bullets since early 1900’s why isn’t everyone doing that?" Thanks dimaprok

I just finished up two cans of 45:45:10 yesterday and so I re-read some of this 11 year long thread and I still wonder why I dont see anybody using the JPW tins to cook the wax in? I just pop the lids off and throw them on an electric griddle at 350F for three hours, measure what is left (about 500ml each can) and add the same amount of White Label Lube Xlox (why pay $7.00 for 4oz of the LLA?) and 100ml of MO, heat stir and snap the lid back on for storage.

Heat the boolits in the toaster oven (you all PC, right?) to warm them up, pop the lid, drag one of the warm boolits thru the 45:45:10 and swirl in a ice cream bucket, dry, size, 1 more coat, load and fire.

I still use the same bucket I started with back in the 80's, it was all LLA back then and this is MUCH better!

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546 LastLast