Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford V8 60

Boolit Master

Ford V8 60

My FIL says that somewhere in his garage there's a Ford V8 60 (not sure of the year, but it's from the 1930s). I haven't seen it and searching online turns up alot of info, some useful, some not.
    Anyways, is there any value to that engine - or is more info needed?

Boolit Master
    I am quite sure that someone will be interested in a Ford flathead. Maybe the year will help, along with info like was it seized when pulled from whatever it came out of.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    First year for the 60 HP was 1937 .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Jam it in an N8 tractor and call it a day.

Boolit Master
    My father bought me one of those flathead V8 engines when I was a kid back in the early 60's to rebuild and learn. We fastened it to an old stump in the backyard and I went to work on it. I put a racing cam in it along with dual Stromberg 97's. Got it going and put it in an old '53 Merc. Was hard to beat the sound of those dual glass packs rapping off. Wish I still had that old Merc. Poor kids now a days don't know what they are missing.

Boolit Master
    Pretty certain the length would be a problem in an 8N... Perhaps a Jubilee! If it was hanging out over the axle!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    My father bought me one of those flathead V8 engines when I was a kid back in the early 60's to rebuild and learn. We fastened it to an old stump in the backyard and I went to work on it. I put a racing cam in it along with dual Stromberg 97's. Got it going and put it in an old '53 Merc. Was hard to beat the sound of those dual glass packs rapping off. Wish I still had that old Merc. Poor kids now a days don't know what they are missing.
    Mine was a 55 Chevy with dual straights, kids in town said they could hear me backing off to make the turn to the farm 4 miles out

Boolit Master

Wasn't that what they put in the boot-leggin cars back in the day? Seems like that was the precursor engine to the NASCAR circuits. Don't know, just seems to jog my memory about some old documentaries I have seen about that.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Had a 1942 Ford Military Jeep with a Flathead 4 cylinder in Junior High and High School. Friends & I used to hunt Rabbits in Panhandle of Texas from it. Like most things in our youth; wish I had it back again.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

If water pumps on the heads 37, later distributor in top and pump on the block. Fun motor to work on, valve job by pulling heads and then entire valve assembly comes out. Some still use them in hot rods as they really are a good engine. Up to 400hp.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Wasn't that what they put in the bootleggin cars back in the day? Seems like that was the precursor engine to the NASCAR circuits. Don't know, just seems to jog my memory about some old documentaries I have seen about that.
    That would have been the 85 HP -125 hp engines . The 60 Hp was a smaller economy engine, in HP as well a physical size . Looking at both side by side it's no problem to tell the difference between them . 60 HP motors had 17 head bolts and the 85 and up were 21 bolt . The 85 HP came out in the best looking of the A model Fords , the 1934 .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    The V8 60 was a 60 horsepower motor that came out in 1937. Its a smaller block and heads, 136 cubic inches. They weren't known as barn burners but in a light weight ride like a Track T or a midget racer, it could be fun. I wouldn't expect any more than maybe 100-120 horsepower out of one, even with good heads and multiple carbs. Check out Flatheadsforever.com, tons of info and speed parts.

Boolit Mold
    Tin Sides.
    First year the sides were Stainless.....carbon steel after that.

Take a 4 banger out of an Anglia Ford and they bolt right in.

Add 4 cylinders and you had your V-12 Lincoln I believe.......think bore and stroke were the same.

V-8 60 were used as stationery engines too. Friend had a bunch of them.

Time person.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    they do have a unique sound. Buddy i was in the service with had a old white restored ford pickup with a flat head with duels. One of the coolest sounding trucks i ever heard. Sounded a HECK of alot faster then it was.

Banned

Ford power!!!

Boolit Master
    This is the Ford forum I hang out on; https://www.fordbarn.com super good people and lots of information.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Ford power!!!
    yup the flathead, boss 429, boss 302 and the coyote are engines even this ford hater has to admit are great motors in there day. The flathead v8 was a real game changer back when it was introduced. It gave near twice the power of a standard flathead motor of the day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 257X50 View Post
    V-8 60 were used as stationery engines too. Friend had a bunch of them.

Time person.
    We had a stationary pea viner on the farm powered by a 60 that has been converted to propane.
    Maineboy

Actually the 60 had stud heads, later 46 IIRC had bolts. 47 merc heads fit the ford and used bolts. Old one had 4 blade dist. On the cam shaft.
    Whatever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    We had a stationary pea viner on the farm powered by a 60 that has been converted to propane.
    We were taking down a power line that went into an abandon golf course about 15 years ago. Got into the overgrown area where the club house was and there was a small building. It was the pump room for the watering system and had a flat head ford v8 on the pump. Partner got ahold of the people that controlled the land and they told him if he wanted it to have at it. so we took our line truck there the next day and disconected it and loaded it on the back of the truck and he took it home. Sat for over 20 years and he put a set of plugs and wires on it and tore down the carb and rebuilt it and it fired right up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast