MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: AR 15 build. What parts would you buy?

Boolit Master

AR 15 build. What parts would you buy?

There is another thread here that talks about a good time for AR fans. In it one of the posters mentioned he refused to buy a lower build kit when he knew he was going to throw the trigger away, or an upper that had parts that would be replaced.

I bought a kit from Palmetto for a very basic AR. It shoots fairly accurately, in 400 rounds so far never any failures of any kind, and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I'm getting the urge to build another, this time I plan to go with more of a custom build. Things I know I want this time are a 20" rifle length free float barrel with a Wylde chamber. I'm not really into all the taticool parts... I'm interested in your input as to a better trigger, BCG and other things you feel are a must have on a AR. Also a good source for parts.

AIM surplus has a NB BCG around $100 that is flawless and lots of other parts. The Rock River triggers are great for the money. My cousin has a Velocity trigger on his 6.8 that is very nice. Primary Arms, CDNN,and Midway come to mind as well as Palmetto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    SIL just got done putting one together as you describe (first time for him - with my guidance). Twenty inch free float with Wylde chamber (from Brownells) with rifle length gas tube and standard low profile gas block. He used a PA LPK w/o trigger we gifted him for Christmas. I had a stock RRA trigger (I did a little work on it) I let him have to start with to save money, but he decided he likes it for time being. I have to admit, not bad after being cleaned up. Upper and BCG both came from RRA while they were having their sale. Timber Creek 15" Mlok hand guard - nice! That thing shoots lights out.

Parts for his rifle were collected over several months taking advantage of sales and/or free shipping for everything except the hand guard, which was purchased locally at Fat Boy Tactical in Bixby, Oklahoma. Ryan has a nice selection of stuff in his shop and very helpful. Total cost was WAY less than what it could have been had it been a "I gotta have it right now" type of thing. Everything was deliberate, including assembly which SIL did.

My personal preference on trigger is RRA NM and Varmint triggers.
    Last edited by sundog; 07-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I used Palmetto State Armory kits, uppers etc before and they all work fine for a cheap build but dont try to swap a barrel or take upper apart. They are near impossible to unscrew the barrel nut on those and I've read cases of people cracking their uppers in this scenario.
    DSArms and Daytona Tactical are two more sites I've used in the past for inexpensive builds.

Boolit Grand Master

If your near camp perry commercial row is open now and the vendors are there. Should be both parts kits and individual parts available. I believe a lot of the Competitors are running Giessele triggers. I have Jewel 2 stage triggers in my match rifles. I would put the money in trigger and barrel. Douglas, Pac nor, Mc gowen, brux, lilja, Krieger all make good barrels and will shoot very well. Decide what weight/ length bullet you want to shoot and get the appropriate twist. Get it chambered and extension fitted by a knowledgable smith.

Boolit Master

I think this is the best Trigger for the money LaRue https://www.larue.com/category/parts...arts/triggers/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I think this is the best Trigger for the money LaRue https://www.larue.com/category/parts...arts/triggers/
    It is a very good trigger and used to cost $250.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If your near camp perry commercial row is open now and the vendors are there. Should be both parts kits and individual parts available. I believe a lot of the Competitors are running Giessele triggers. I have Jewel 2 stage triggers in my match rifles. I would put the money in trigger and barrel. Douglas, Pac nor, Mc gowen, brux, lilja, Krieger all make good barrels and will shoot very well. Decide what weight/ length bullet you want to shoot and get the appropriate twist. Get it chambered and extension fitted by a knowledgable smith.
    ^^^THIS^^^ And a lap for the upper. Straight from upper to barrel and a good trigger will make a good shooter.

BF

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Master

I really like the Magpul pistol grip with the modular storage core for a little oil bottle: https://www.magpul.com/firearms-acce...be-bottle-core

I keep mine filled with Breakfree.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Before going into a build and throwing money at it, determine what your goals are. I like Palmetto in general, I haven't had a bad experience with them. Brownell's has most everything you could want.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

Boolit Master
    Satern's Liberty barrels are Very accurate as are Criterrion. They both provide an excellent bang for your buck if you want something very accurate.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    I love modular triggers... More $$ than stock, but less than some Big Names.... I have one from Velocity and a Bang Switch from Tactical Sh*t... Each cost around $150. More have come out since I got those triggers....