Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less glamorous aspect of our hobby

Boolit Buddy

Less glamorous aspect of our hobby

While most of us probably spend more time cleaning firearms than we do actually shooting them I thought i would show my set up. Anyone else like to share?https://imgur.com/16x1Mzo

Jim Clark, one of the greatest pistol smiths ever, and the greatest Bullseye shooter ever, was once asked "When should I clean my gun?" He replied "When it stops working."

Boolit Grand Master

I keep all of my cleaning stuff and some tools in a large aluminum tool box. I'm think I'm seeing some Sinclair stuff in your tray. I consider myself lucky to have a dedicated loading room in the house but I wish I had a dedicated table for cleaning. I usually back the truck into the shop and work off of the tailgate.

Banned
    If you use PC or HiTek, you wouldn't have to clean so often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    If you use PC or HiTek, you wouldn't have to clean so often
    Since I switched to PC on everything but my BPRCs, I've noticed that I spend considerably less time cleaning than I used to. A couple passes down the bore with Hoppe's #9 to loosen the powder fouling (I burn a lot of Unique), followed by two or three 'snug' patches, and I'm ready to lube the wear points and wipe down with a lanolin pad.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I clean after every range trip. Its not really necessary to do it every time as I go to the range every week, but I feel better when I do it. Rifles get a bore brush every 500 rounds or so. Pistols get a bore brush every time. Ive only ever fully disassembled one pistol, the CZ75B, to the frame and springs. All else is just field stripped. Every once in awhile I will disassemble the slides. I use a grease for pistols and a light coat of Rem Oil for rifles. Hoppes no.9 is the cleaning agent.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Jim Clark, one of the greatest pistol smiths ever, and the greatest Bullseye shooter ever, was once asked "When should I clean my gun?" He replied "When it stops working."
    Amen! There is more truth in that statement than most people can possibly believe!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Try Simple Green. Cleans carbon like nothing else.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I'm with Jim. With CB's, it not the barrel that needs cleaning; eventually the bullet lube gunk builds up in the action.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I usually shoot my 1911 until it gets so gummed up that the slide is moving in slow motion. When I shot lubed bullets it would be 4-500 res. Now using PC, I'm wore out before it starts to show any more fouling than gun powder residue
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I have a Marlin 94 in 44MAG that is close to 5k rounds since it was cleaned last. It sees a boresnake 2 times a year wether it needs it or not. My 1873 CAA clone gets cleaned when it starts to bind up and the same goes for the rest of my handguns.

For rifles they get a cleaning whenever they start to spread/scatter.

Am i a bad person?

Except for my carry gun, I clean my guns when they start getting fussy. I wipe them off after a range visit, but full on cleaning, maybe every 1000rds? Precision rifle is probably the exception, it gets cleaned about every 200rds.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Bore snake when I get home from each range trip. Disassemble and deep clean when it gets too cold to go shooting.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Did not think when I started this thread it would turn into a "I don't clean my guns" rant. I was just interested to see others cleaning set ups and tools. Oh well. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 4296 View Post
    Did not think when I started this thread it would turn into a "I don't clean my guns" rant. I was just interested to see others cleaning set ups and tools. Oh well. Never mind.
    You got a pretty good starter kit. Let's see it again in a couple years.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Sorry, no picture, but I keep my cleaning stuff on top of a mobile tool cart. As for how often I clean? I try to clean them after I shoot them. Period. Just another part of the hobby I enjoy.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I clean my guns after every trip to the range. The handguns I may fire up to 300 rounds during a long session. They haven't stopped working yet but the powder fouling is starting to build up ans if it is revolvers, the cylinder and top strap are starting to blacken. I like my handguns to look presentable.
    My rifles get cleaned every trip as well. They get the actions cleaned up, which usually takes very little. The barrels I don't clean every time. It depends on how many rounds I put through them. Sometimes I will wait for the third trip to do the barrel cleaning.
    I have a separate table in my basement where I clean my guns. I have a mat that I use with handguns and a stand that I use with the rifles. The cleaning supplies and tools are scattered over the top of the back portion of the table.
    The table doesn't look any more organized than the pictures of my loading bench did, but it gets the job done for me.

I use a ratty old MTM cleaning cradle, Tipton and Midway one piece rods. I clean guns for others more than my own. I've mounted hundreds of scopes using that cradle, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just got one of the Ruger compact all American rifles in 7.62x39. Copper fouling from test and I guess proof firing was very evident. Hoppes wouldn't touch it. Butch's Bore Shine with patches and bore brush made a good dent in the fouling. Still had a couple spots that didn't go away. broke out the JB bore paste and after a bunch of strokes, cleanings and more strokes looks like they did the job. I'm thinking they may have used some other type of ammo than copper jacketed bullets. Hoppe's and Butch's usually do the job. Have some JB bore shine so will try it out. Kinda anal about cleaning my firearms. New old mil surps, commercial rifles and handguns all get cleaned when first purchased, then after each shooting session and occasionally do a few quick passes if in the safe after some time. Buy patches 1000 a pop. 2 quarts bottles at the same time and brushes by the dozen. I live in a small town and except for wally world and my friend's gun shop not much to choose from. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I have a "soak" that I keep handy. When I get home from the range, I'll field strip and drop the gun in the soak (mineral spirits, Kroil and either ATF or Marvels Mystery Oil). for revolvers I remove the grips and cylinder and for semi-sutos remove grips and field strip. If there's lead or copper fouling in the bbl, I'll scrub or whatever necessaty to clean it. Or if no fouling just run a brush and patches. Action gets a few "sloshes" to clean the innards and wipe dry. There's enough lubricant from the soak to keep the gun rust free for short term storage and just a little gun oil here and there (usually very little) in "critical" locations. I can drop the gun in the soak and come back whenever I feel like finishing. Really pretty easy and my guns don't sit around dirty...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast