RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolits Designed for Powder Coating

Boolit Man

Boolits Designed for Powder Coating

Just got my new mold from NOE this weekend. It is the HTC452-230 boolit mold designed for hi-tek of powder coating. No lube grooves on these bad boys. After heat cycling and preheating, the keepers rained from this mold. Very happy with it and just wanted to share it with ya'll because I haven't seen a lot of talk about them. I resized them to .452 and they loaded and shot beautifully out of my 1911, one pass through with a bore snake and the barrel was clean. Check these molds out if you coat exclusively. Now if I can just get a mold like this in a H&G68 pattern. Pictures below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	191154

Those boolits sure do look pur-dee! If I decide to keep my CZ 97B, I might have to pick up that NOE mould down the line.

I have a similar one from accurate that treats me well also!

Banned
    I am drooling. I have a 9mm that needs PC bullets without lube grooves. Can't afford new molds so I am going to carefully ream and polish out the lube groove areas in my molds. At least one of them. I think that plain lubed lead boolits for Autoloading pistols is a thing of the past. Once people see how well these non grooved coated bullets work, It is hard to imagine anyone not using them.

Banned

oh I can see it.
    you still have to make them, and you still have to size them.
    powder coating just slows down the process by adding another step in between the two.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    oh I can see it.
    you still have to make them, and you still have to size them.
    powder coating just slows down the process by adding another step in between the two.
    My non lube grooved bullets gave me a tangible accuracy edge over bullets with lube grooves.

However, laziness got the best of me and I'm back to greasing with a star. No more shake and bake, pliar picking, setting on mesh, baking........and then sizing. Same for HT except no more acetone use.

Boolit Master
    I can think of at least one time no lube grooves would be great. Neck tension on a 357 sig is key, not so easy to do with a lube groove. But I hate to tear up a NOE mold to get rid of them. Guess should just buy them that way as only thing I use lube on is what I cast for a conversion cyl in an 1858 remington.

Boolit Master

What are these molds going to do to the lube groove market?
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Good looking bullet but I don't get the idea that one needs a grooveless bullet to coat. I am not getting rid of any of my molds, just coat instead of lube. They were good shooters with lube & still good shooters coated.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Good looking bullet but I don't get the idea that one needs a grooveless bullet to coat. I am not getting rid of any of my molds, just coat instead of lube. They were good shooters with lube & still good shooters coated.
    I don't think the idea is that you have to have a grooveless bullet to coat, it's just that it was designed from the ground up to coat. I am not near good enough with my pistol to say for sure that it is more accurate than a traditional bullet. I can say that it did feel different from coating and loading a traditional cast bullet. Smoother somehow, plus the bullets just fly out of the mold without tapping at all half the time. I don't that its going to replace traditional grooved bullets, but if you are buying your first mold and plan to coat exclusively I think they are worth a look. They worked great for me.

PS, I plan on making a killing selling all the extra lube grooves that I have left over now. I think I can corner the market.

Boolit Master

I was shooting red(horrible freight) and black coated bullets so I don't know which one was the culprit but I was getting some etching at the cylinder and and chamber area so I went back to greasing with Ben's Red and cured my etching problem.Bottom line I will stay with the Ben's Red.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Just ordered the NOE HTC309-153-SP for my Blackout. I found it by accident because the listing is down at the bottom of the page instead of where the regular molds are. I hope it works as well as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    What are these molds going to do to the lube groove market?
    Well if I was holding any stock in lube groove companies I'd unload them pretty quick!
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Perma-Banned

I am not buying a powder coat mold...and I use powder coat exclusively, now. But, should I ever want to start back with conventional lube...I want my molds to drop bullets that I could use.

Boolit Master

Nice CB's and mold but as I have H&G gang molds as well as a number of others I won't be in the market for another NOE mold anytime soon. But I do like that these molds are out there an work well.

I have done a fair number of PC'd pistol CB's but they added no advantage for me as I have good success with loads using lubed CB's through my Star sizers. PC with rifle is a different story. This has added a new dimension to my loads and shooting.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I am not buying a powder coat mold...and I use powder coat exclusively, now. But, should I ever want to start back with conventional lube...I want my molds to drop bullets that I could use.
    My point exactly, I like options & a grooved bullet lets me do what ever I want. I imagine they would be a bit easier to cast though.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    My point exactly, I like options & a grooved bullet lets me do what ever I want. I imagine they would be a bit easier to cast though.
    More groove grabbing bearing surface, easier to cast, higher density aft.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    More groove grabbing bearing surface, easier to cast, higher density aft.
    There is plenty of bearing surface on lube groove bullets.

If you want pc bullet molds fine...but what we have been using works pretty good, too.

Banned
    Well I was convinced about 9 months ago that the success people were having with hollow based no grooved semi-auto pistol bullets with PC that it would be THE thing. Certainly for me. I have two molds for my 9mm. One is a Lee .358" 117 grain round nose with two grooves. That means not much bearing surface. A perfect candidate for losing the grooves. Especially since it is a single cavity and I only paid $18 for it. The other is a Lee two cavity 124 grain .356" tumble lube grooved round nose. I read that people have had problems with bullet flight with that mold. (I know that being .356" is probably the biggest problem) So I bought it with the idea of reaming out the grooves. I am also going to try and swage a hollow base into these guys. Don't know if that will be successful because I plan on using 12bhn alloy which might be too hard to squish. But in my dreams I am making beautiful "big pellets" that fly straight and never get the gun dirty. The thread that convinced me of this is: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...simple-swaging If you look at it pay special attention to what Forrest r and Wolftracker have posted. Anyway I am a noob and pretty zealous about this. I see now that good ol' lube grooves are here to stay. Especially if they are in the high performance high priced molds. I wouldn't want to mess with a nice brass mold either. But hey, that's what cheep aluminum Lee's are for aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    There is plenty of bearing surface on lube groove bullets.

If you want pc bullet molds fine...but what we have been using works pretty good, too.
    if "pretty good" is good enough, then that's all good and well for you. I prefer to strive for the next level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast