Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: gonna buy a lathe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    i have a height gage, but it's all trial and error for me. finding the right spindle speed and feed rate for diameter of work and proper tool shape for desired finish! man this is fun! some people just love torture. hey you going home for christmas? boy a good seafood gumbo about now! makes my toe nails vibrate just thinking about it. happy hollidays.

skimmerhead

I made a short trip to bring my Mom down to see my sister and my brother and returned the next day. I was in a rush to get the rental car back before they closed, I didn't get to get any shrimp grits but I did get a roast beef po' boy!
    On the way down there we stopped at Prejean's in Lafaytte, boy those people know how to cook!
    I picked up a Hornady lock n load at Cabela's in Gonzales at a great price $329!
    I will be back in mid January to get my Mom and plan to get some shrimp grits then!

Boolit Master

lost art

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    The art of making a good chip hook on top of a hand ground tool is a dieing art for a reason. It takes a long time & a lot of trial & error to become proficient. The returns from mastering that art are frequently only a little better than the results that you can get from buying a high end carbide insert. Most guys these days just buy the good inserts or do without improved chip control.

In the old days, learning to grind a tool top for good chip control was a bellwether of a good machinist, much like knowing how to use a file correctly. In much the same way that kids in school these days don't really pay much attention to spelling because "spell check will fix that", the machinists of today are loosing their grip on some of the most basic skills that once defined their profession.

Only someone who would waste his time on something as arcane as casting boolits would seem to appreciate this sort of thing anymore.
    i agree with you jim, i like the old school way of tool's, after all they built this country. when i use my old blacksmith's post drill to drill something, some ask why do you use that old thing when you have a good drill press. the only thing i tell em is it ain't the same. they don't know what it is to use a 100 year old hand saw that cuts better than any new one today. they buy a saw when it gets dull they throw it away. they don't understand that you can sharpen it. thats a dieing art. they don't know what it is to plane a board with a plane that's so sharp you can shave with it. they buy an electric one. i have a large collection of antique hand tool's and i like to use them whenever i can. they were made to last more than a lifetime and are still as good today as when they were new. i will master the lathe bit or die trying, that's just the way i am. i like a challenge, especialy when you have such knowlegeable friend's to help when you have a question. a man that doesen't make mistakes is a man that isn't doing his job, a man that doesen't learn from his mistake's doesen't want to do his job. i'll keep grinding and asking question's untill i get it right. thank's for tip Jim.

skimmerhead
    Cheap things are not good and Good Thing's Are Not Cheap

the worst part of getting old; is remembering when you were young

Boolit Master

Tool bit grinding was the second thing we learned in school after safety. We used 1/2'' key stock to learn on. When the teacher saw that the angles were right he gave us a piece of HSS to grind and use. Key stock was $5 for 10 feet, HSS was $5 for 4 inches.
    I wish I was closer I would teach you how to grind bits.

Boolit Master

Ay haw

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I made a short trip to bring my Mom down to see my sister and my brother and returned the next day. I was in a rush to get the rental car back before they closed, I didn't get to get any shrimp grits but I did get a roast beef po' boy!
    On the way down there we stopped at Prejean's in Lafaytte, boy those people know how to cook!
    I picked up a Hornady lock n load at Cabela's in Gonzales at a great price $329!
    I will be back in mid January to get my Mom and plan to get some shrimp grits then!
    now you talking man. shrimp grits, ain't heard dem words in awhile. can you get that in new york city? cabela's, i need to go, i have a gift card that i'm itching to spend. haven't gone in awhile. i been spending all my time on the lathe and none on shooting. i'll wait till after christmas, maybe the crowds won't be so bad. good to hear from you, think about me when you get dem grit's.

skimmerhead

Banned

Guys-

Look at this Hendy that just sold for $462:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4fGqCAI68%253D

Click "See full discription"

Holy cow, I wish that was on the west coast...

Boolit Master

good idea

Tool bit grinding was the second thing we learned in school after safety. We used 1/2'' key stock to learn on. When the teacher saw that the angles were right he gave us a piece of HSS to grind and use. Key stock was $5 for 10 feet, HSS was $5 for 4 inches.
    I wish I was closer I would teach you how to grind bits.
    never thought of that. have some laying around. thanks

skimmerhead

Boolit Master

nice

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Guys-

that's my problem, every thing is located in another universe, local pickup only! i'll go spend my summer vacation with snoop, he can help me work on your lathe, and maybe i can find a good deal along the way.

skimmerhead

Banned

I'm up for working on Dad's lathes, in between meals.

Banned

Or nap times...

Guys-

That's a smaller version of the one that I used to have. Mine had a 16 or 18" chuck & #5MT in the tail stock. Man, that thing would take a heavy cut without crying about it. It was the strongest lathe that I ever owned. It would still hold half a thou & give a good finish if I did my part.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Guys-

Yeah, I was watching that sale. I figured it would be a good parts machine for mine. But just like everyone else, it was too far away for me.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Everett, how did you make out with yours? Did you ever get that gear?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

steady rest

AKAJUN, what's up? you ever get around to fixing your steady rest? i ordered the parts list you gave me today from enco. just wondering if you made any progress. been hunting? where's the meat! i got a six pointer with my muzzel loader laying on the sofa the other day.

skimmerhead

Banned

6 pointers like your sofa too?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skimmerhead View Post
    AKAJUN, what's up? you ever get around to fixing your steady rest? i ordered the parts list you gave me today from enco. just wondering if you made any progress. been hunting? where's the meat! i got a six pointer with my muzzel loader laying on the sofa the other day.

skimmerhead

Yes I got it done, However it took a little more than I thought to get it going. You will have to cut the shoulder back on the shoulder screws about .15 or so, you will see what I mean when you go to assemble it.
    Ill try to get you some pics if you need them.
    I'm about hunted out for this year since we are in area 2 and it ends early. Didnt get in the woods as much as I would have liked, Free time to get out of town is valuable when you have young kids and job with mandatory overtime and call out. I did get to kill 7 hogs with 4 shots from my 45-70 handy rifle ( yes really) with Cast WW and a nice 8pt 161/2 spread and 225 lbs with my 7 mag and a nosler partition. Gonna try to go this weekend with my 4yo if its not too cold for him.

Boolit Master

six pointer

6 pointers like your sofa too?
    i know it sounds crazy, but it's true. this is how i got that deer sitting on the sofa. good friend calls me, hey buddy! what's up? i have a chance to go on a hunting trip in mississippi but i don't have a muzzle loader, can i borrow yours, he shot the deer with my gun while i was on the sofa. then he delivers the gun and the deer all dressed. easiest deer i ever got. brought it to the processor, it's in the freezer

snoop's friend

Boolit Master

where's Da meat

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Yes I got it done, However it took a little more than I thought to get it going. You will have to cut the shoulder back on the shoulder screws about .15 or so, you will see what I mean when you go to assemble it.
    Ill try to get you some pics if you need them.
    I'm about hunted out for this year since we are in area 2 and it ends early. Didnt get in the woods as much as I would have liked, Free time to get out of town is valuable when you have young kids and job with mandatory overtime and call out. I did get to kill 7 hogs with 4 shots from my 45-70 handy rifle ( yes really) with Cast WW and a nice 8pt 161/2 spread and 225 lbs with my 7 mag and a nosler partition. Gonna try to go this weekend with my 4yo if its not too cold for him.
    sounds like a nice buck. and a lot of pork chops! i shoot 7 short mag 140gr it suits me just right. been a long time since i shot it. i might go to the camp in alabama next week and try to do a little hunting, it's stays open till the end of the month i think. i don't know when i'll get to work on that steady rest but i'll give you a holler.

skimmerhead

Boolit Master

lathe crash!

shoulda turned left, but i turned right. dem gears is tougher than i thought, only broke two of em.

skimmerhead

Boolit Master

That did not take long! LOL Sorry to hear that.

Boolit Master

crash

That did not take long! LOL Sorry to hear that.
    i knew it was gonna happen, it was just a matter of time. i was cutting a thread on a 3/4 inch 1020 rod and all was going well i was allmost finished and didn't pay attention when i turned the dial back to 0 so i could set the compound for a one thousandt cut, i didn't check the dial setting. it was at 0 but one whole turn farther in. when i engaged the feed it went weird, broke a couple teeth on the 40t gear and the compound gear. i have the 40t gear but not the compound gear. i'll call clausing in the mourning see if they have one. man i was pissed at myself! i couldn't believe i did that. i'm going to leave it alone for awhile. too many things distracting me lately, i should not have been on that machine today. my thoughts are elsewhere and thats what happens. but i'll fix it and probably break a few more times before it's all over.

skimmerhead