Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: A S&W 25-5/25-2 story

A S&W 25-5/25-2 story

S&W introduced (re-introduced?) the 25-5 in the '80s & the 1st. one that I saw was an 8 3/8" model. If you will recall they all came in wood presentation boxes. It looks so good that I would have bought in any bbl. length.........I think I paid $279 for it (anyway, less than $300.). I loved that gun & believe it or not shot IPSC with it(Safariland shoulder holster & Safariland speed loaders). Those Lyman #452374s speed loaded just fine. It was a killer on bowling pins with Lyman #452424s over 8.5 gr. of Unique.

Later I added a 6" and a 4". The 4" then became my IPSC gun. I know it would be sacrilege to the S&W purist, but I converted it to round butt & added Pachmyr compacts (I know they aren't as pretty as wood, but: they work). The "target trigger' got a smooth surface & re-contoured to a paddle configuration & the right side was slimmer than the left. I did the trigger job in stages & it was absolutely the smoothest, best handling gun I've ever owned. Even when everyone went to their scopes & race guns (how practical is that), I was having more fun than anyone with that 4" 25-5. I even chamfered & polished the chambers.......it was perfect.

The 8 3/8" went to my oldest son & I traded the 6" for a Garand (maybe I shouldn't have).

In 1990 2 punks broke into my house & took the 4" 25-5 from my bed side & took all of the guns that were not in my safe. The county police recovered everything except the 25-5 & a TC Hawken 50 cal.. The punks sold the 25-5 for $75.00 & it was never recovered.

I began a search for a replacement & found out that a 4" 25-5 is impossible to find. About 2 years later either Shotgun News, Gun List or Gun Digest (they all ran together) ran an add for the gun in the photos. It started out as a 25-2 and was converted by someone that really knew what they were doing. It now has a 4" 1955 bbl. & an extra cylinder assy. (extractor and all) in .45 Colt. They only thing I don't like about it is the Magna-port which is useless. The Magna-port may help on a longer bbl. of a higher velocity caliber, but on this gun only serves to blacken the front sight. Anyway, at $450.00 it was a deal.

It is not yet the gun that was stolen, but hopefully will get there and to be honest shortly thereafter I began shooting NRA High Power & handguns took a back seat until '08 and then restoring motorcycles became a priority. Now restoring motorcycles & shooting handguns (mostly revolvers) are on equal footing.

Here are the photos. I guess technically it's a 25-2, but to me it's a 25-5 with an extra cylinder assy. in ACP.

Henry

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder..........anything else is just a game
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-038S.JPG   MVC-042S.JPG   MVC-039S.JPG   MVC-041S.JPG   MVC-040S.JPG  

Last edited by oldhenry; 08-09-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    That's a slick looking revolver I would change very little on it, and it was a bargain at that price, I hope you enjoy it almost as much as the one you lost.

I agree with all that dubber123 said, that is a sweet smith. The only thing I'd change is those grips.

That is a great looking Smith. Love the 2 cylinders. Color me jealous.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I agree with all that dubber123 said, that is a sweet smith. The only thing I'd change is those grips.
    Agree.
    Very nice. I love .45 N-frames.

I like Pachmayr Grippers on square butt N-frames. Before you modify the frame on such a nice gun I think you should try 'em.
    Enjoy your revolver! May you shoot it well, and for many years.

Uncle R.

Very nice 25. I had gotten carried away with 29s, 27s and 57s when I was younger. It had to be
    a magnum or I had very little interest in shooting them. I owned 25s & 24s but never gave them
    much attention. The last 10 yrs I have done more Target Shooting than hunting and loaded up
    WCs for the 25s and hardly shot the Magnums anymore. I liked the 83/8" m25-2 so well I took
    it Deer Hunting and killed my 1st deer with 45 Colt with cast WC. It appeared to be just as dead
    as any I shot with Magnums. I did trade off my 4" NIB because I don't like short barrels. The 5"
    to 61/2" guns are perfect for me. I also had to have all my S&Ws with 83/8" barrels, but started
    trading them off when I found I could shoot 6" just as well. Still have one of each in 83/8 but have
    several in 6".Attachment 201643

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Very nice 25. I had gotten carried away with 29s, 27s and 57s when I was younger. It had to be
    a magnum or I had very little interest in shooting them. I owned 25s & 24s but never gave them
    much attention. The last 10 yrs I have done more Target Shooting than hunting and loaded up
    WCs for the 25s and hardly shot the Magnums anymore. I liked the 83/8" m25-2 so well I took
    it Deer Hunting and killed my 1st deer with 45 Colt with cast WC. It appeared to be just as dead
    as any I shot with Magnums. I did trade off my 4" NIB because I don't like short barrels. The 5"
    to 61/2" guns are perfect for me. I also had to have all my S&Ws with 83/8" barrels, but started
    trading them off when I found I could shoot 6" just as well. Still have one of each in 83/8 but have
    several in 6".Attachment 201643
    A very nice trio of N frame Smiths.

Henry

Moderator Emeritus

oldhenry, I bought my S&W 25-2 NIB in the late 70s. Several years later, I found a model 27 cylinder and crane assembly at a local gun show. At that time, we had a local gunsmith that specialized in converting model 27 cylinders to .44 Special or .45 Colt. He converted mine and it's a shooter!

Due to the short 25-2 cylinder length, I have to watch the COAL when loading the .45 Colt and then using less powder due to diminished case volume but it still shoots 454424s around 900 fps safely.
    I limit myself to 25 yards maximum when deer hunting with any handgun so I have no need to drive a bullet, er boolit, any faster. Treetop

Edit To Add: Just make sure you have the correct ammo and cylinder with you before you leave for the range! Don't ask...
    Last edited by Treetop; 08-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    oldhenry, I bought my S&W 25-2 NIB in the late 70s. Several years later, I found a model 27 cylinder and crane assembly at a local gun show. At that time, we had a local gunsmith that specialized in converting model 27 cylinders to .44 Special or .45 Colt. He converted mine and it's a shooter!

Due to the short 25-2 cylinder length, I have to watch the COAL when loading the .45 Colt and then using less powder due to diminished case volume but it still shoots 454424s around 900 fps safely.
    I limit myself to 25 yards maximum when deer hunting with any handgun so I have no need to drive a bullet, er boolit, any faster. Treetop

Edit To Add: Just make sure you have the correct ammo and cylinder with you before you leave for the range! Don't ask...
    Treetop, an interesting story. I wish I knew the details of the conversion on my gun.

Actually I've never tried my 454424 or 452424 in this gun. For the main part I've been shooting the 452488 & 452374 in both cylinders. I recently acquired an Accurate 45-250F & an Arsenal 230RF & feel they will be perfect for either ACP or Colt (they'll speed load well + will pack a punch).

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder...........anything else is just a game

Henry

Boolit Grand Master
    I wouldn't change a thing on that gun. It would look mighty fine on the bench in front of me at the range.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Nice. I have an uncut 1955 Target. I agree the shorter barrel would be handier but I'm sure not cutting it down either! (-:}