MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Brass Smith C-Frame Press

It's been my experience that it takes a lot more to kill a primer than handling them with your fingers. I don't think any of us prime after cleaning the bacon pan or frying French fries and if we do most of us would wash up first. Gp

Boolit Master
    Guess again... I wash my hands like a crazy person. I suspect it's from being in Q.C / Q.A. for over 25 years. That and being in the hospital for a year......

Never mind. I misread the post. It's late.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

I started loading with a Lee loader - one in 30-30 and one in 16gr. Every primer was handled. Moved to an RCBS Jr with the primer post - every primer was handled. Did this for years and never had a primer failure or FTF. Got convinced reading gun mags that handling primers was a bad idea - got various hand primer gizmos - notably Lee and RCBS. Random and unusual, but some failures. Got into the TruelineJr for loading pistol - handled every primer and no failures. Recently got a Husky 9.3x57 and reformed 8x57 brass - had multiple FTF's from first loads. (Using Tula primers) Got the RCBS bench primer setter on sale last year and re-set all those primers and all rifle primers since. FTF's gone.

Conclusion - it's not the handling that causes FTF's.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I started loading with a Lee loader - one in 30-30 and one in 16gr. Every primer was handled. Moved to an RCBS Jr with the primer post - every primer was handled. Did this for years and never had a primer failure or FTF. Got convinced reading gun mags that handling primers was a bad idea -
    Got the RCBS bench primer setter on sale last year and re-set all those primers and all rifle primers since. FTF's gone.

Conclusion - it's not the handling that causes FTF's.
    My references to "cleaning my hands" before priming and my problem with "Fail To Fire" with setting primers on 9mm Luger range brass I think has been mis-interpreted here. I just said that I washed my hands before handling the primers as a precautionary measure as brought forth in all of the gun rags. Like Wayne Smith illustrated above my "Fail To Fire" problem was my lack of feel when setting primers in various makes of brass, where the setting pressure was far different on every one of them it seems like. And I couldn't get them all set to the same level until I started using an RCBS RAM primer in my press with careful adjustment to set all of the primers to the same depth.

Boolit Master
    Used the Redding die set I acquired from Tom W with the Lee Universal expander die with NOE plug to load 20 rounds of 270 Win on the Ideal tonight. Smooth with no issues and plenty of leverage. I have not full length sized on the press yet. All the brass I have has been fired in my M70, so no need to. Extremely pleased with my first single stage. The single stage has not presented any less useful than the 550C, just a little slower. Turns out I enjoy it just like my 310 tool.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear that the dies are doing well..

DonMountain, you ought to try seating primers when you have neuropathy. Can't feel a thing in my fingers except a tingly feeling like they are asleep all of the time. It takes two hands to pick up one primer now...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

I too enjoy using a single stage press.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if buying the primers in strips like CCI has would help with those whose hands or eyesight suffers. Anybody give em a shot?

Boolit Master
    What is everyone using to lube the case necks for the draw through expanding ball on full length sizing dies? I had some tough pulls even after I started dipping and spinning the case necks in Imperial Sizing Wax. Anything better?

Boolit Master
    I have the brush set by Midway. One is supposed to use their mica powder, but I found that a few drops of the RCBS case lube on the brush does wonders. You'll have to brush maybe every fifth case or so....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

I removed the #9 lead shot from two 12-gage shotshells and put it in a shot glass. I put powdered graphite over the shot and plunge the case neck into the lead shot a few times. Lubes the case neck nicely and powder doesn't stick to it.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Oh! Not a shot glass! What will the Crown Royal and Wild Turkey 101 think?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

I did the same thing but in an old medicine bottle, I can periodically turn it upside down and shake it to renew the graphite at the top.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master
    Is the the same powdered graphite that is used to lube lock mechanisms?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Is the the same powdered graphite that is used to lube lock mechanisms?
    Yup - that's the stuff. Don't spill it on a wood floor!
    Wayne the Shrink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12