Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Mouse Fart loads

Boolit Master

45 ACP Mouse Fart loads

Looking for recommendations on powders for Cat Sneeze loads for 45ACP (and 9mm/38spl/380)

So the wife has finally gotten into shooting, even bought herself a couple of new handguns, including a glock 21 (full size 45ACP).

I had about half a case of Cat Sneeze loads running 3.0gr of TiteWad laying around, she shot them up and liked them.
    Lee 452-230.
    She can shoot full power loads, but the Cat Sneeze loads are nice for training.
    And our friend thought they were hilarious.
    The Wife said she keep hearing something while shooting them, turns out it was him behind her making a puff noise at every shot.
    I understand as I giggled like a school girl then I first shot these, tested some and just put the rest aside for a rainy day.
    Yes we are easily amused.

I only loaded those because I had bought some TiteWad during the great shortage, figuring I could use it for something. It was the only thing on the shelf one day I stopped in the store.
    My normal 45 loads I am using up whatever else is lying around and then standardizing on HP38 for my pistol loads (already use it for 38/9mm/380).

So I am looking for powder choices to purchase to load up more Cat Sneeze loads.
    Standards are- Function in semi-auto, exit barrel/hit the target, reasonable accuracy under 25yds.

Any good powder suggestions that have available data for 9mm/38spl/380/45ACP?

I have a little of the Titewad left, getting ready to load it up in 45 right now.
    Just wondering if there is anything more useful or should I just stick with what I know.

Also I was presently surprised that a brand new, never fired Glock 21 ran fine on these loads.
    I told her that they might not function her new gun.
    Last edited by mjwcaster; 06-18-2019 at 08:12 PM.

You didn't mention what boolit you were using with that 3.0 of Titewad.
    Any listed starting load should do quite nicely. If still too much, you can drop down until the gun no longer functions.
    Each gun is different. What works in mine may not work in yours.

Boolit Grand Master

45 acp, federal LP primer, 4.5 grains American Select with a 200 grain SWC does about 725 fps from my P220. This functions 100%, and is the most accurate load I tried; I tried from 4.2 to 5.2 grains too. I wouldn't call it mouse fart, but it doesn't kick brass out too far.

Boolit Grand Master

The only problem with 45 acp is the load must be powerful enough to cycle the action , so you can only down load so much then the gun wont function .
    I have an AMT Hardballer that will function with a 200 grain cast SWC or TC with 5.2 grains of Unique. This is my target shooting load and is as light as is practical .
    The starting load of 5.0 grains Unique didn't give 100% functioning so I bumped it up to 5.2 grains.

Start out with 5.0 and see how that works .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Get a reduced power recoil spring and you can shoot 185gr. boolits in the 500 fps. range.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Any fast powder will work well. Functioning depends not only on spring but on friction in the slide stop pin to barrel lug fit and slide to frame fit. Favor heavier bullets with low charges. 3.3 of BE will run a 45-215 nicely. It give a shove, not a snap. The othervway to go is slower powders like solo 1000, green dot, wst etc. shoves are easier to take than snaps. Good luck

Boolit Master

45 ACP Mouse Fart loads

Tazman
    230gr lead TC - Lee 452-230TC
    Original Post edited.

With starting level loads with other powders I have seen unburned powder and cycling issues.

This TiteWad load burns fairly cleanly and functions a brand new Glock and a well broken in XD45.

She ran 3-400 rounds through the new Glock and it cleaned up easily,
    I didn’t notice any unburned powder when I shot some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’ve used 4.0 Trail Boss with a NOE 200 grain SWC. It was so light I figured there’s no way it could cycle the action, however it worked great in a couple of 1911’s I’m not sure about that Glock 21 but I’d guess you can find a load that works. This load felt like shooting a .38 Special wadcutter load.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Tazman
    230gr lead TC - Lee 452-230TC
    Original Post edited.

With starting level loads with other powders I have seen unburned powder and cycling issues.

This TiteWad load burns fairly cleanly and functions a brand new Glock and a well broken in XD45.

She ran 3-400 rounds through the new Glock and it cleaned up easily,
    I didn’t notice any unburned powder when I shot some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    According to the Hodgdon data site, that load is a midrange load that is running approximately 700fps.
    I would suggest about 4.0 of WST under a 200 grain boolit. I use that load in all my 45acp guns and it shoots accurately and burns cleanly for me. I have 3 1911 and 2 XDm pistols and all have factory springs.
    Very light recoil and great accuracy with a clean gun. Who could ask for more. It even uses less lead than your 230 grain boolit.
    I have used WST in 38 special and 9mm as well as the 45acp. You have to search a bit to find the data for 9mm but the loading data for other cartridges suggests loads similar in weight to Bullseye. It worked great in both 38 special and my 9mm.
    I did a search for WST in 380 and got lots of information online.
    Last edited by tazman; 06-19-2019 at 07:12 AM.

4.8-5.0 Bullseye cycles my old Colt 1911 perfectly without leaving the wrists or fingers feeling all achy-breaky.

Titewad seems like a good powder for that purpose. It’s one of the fastest out there. I’ve used it for that and I love a soft shooting 45. You can get lighter springs as mentioned, since she will likely never need a full power 45, or if she does just have a dedicated training gun. A lighter sprung glock will probably be fine with occasional full power loads anyway, or just switch springs, it’s easy enough. Once you get used to soft shooting 45 you don’t want to go back lol. And they still knock over plates just as well, in some ways even better.

Boolit Master
    Yea,it looks like you have your MF load already.

My lightest is 185 SWC@750 fps with Vihtavuori N320. Cycles fine,brass flings three feet from a stock STI. Quiet.

Boolit Master

It is possible to make "powder puff" .45 ACP loads that function reliable down to the 155 grain level. You'll have to experiment around a little and be careful. The key to this performance is to use a wad under the bullet. This decreases case capacity and ups the pressure level for functioning. Load has to be like baby bear's soup but it can be done with almost any fast burning powder./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Any fast burning powder will work. I like WST but just about anything faster than W231 will do fine if as far down the vel ladder you can go to get slide functioning. I would look at 200gr bullets as the bottom end of bullet wts unless you want to change springs.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

4 gr WST under a 200 gr SWC
    4.2 gr Vectan A1 under a 200 gr SWC
    4.4 gr WST under a 155 gr SWC

Those are my favorite light .45 ACP loads.
    NRA Benefactor.

Recently found and bought a 4" S&W 625 in .45 ACP and might have to try some of these light loads just for fun. Much as I love my Colt Government Model it sure is nice not having to pick the brass up off the ground!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I have a Springfield Armory XDm in 45acp, and shortly after I got it I realized that shooting factory ammo was not an option. It's just too much $ for my habit. So I gathered up some stuff to make it affordable. When I started this projects lead wheel weights were very plentiful, plus I mined the traps at the shooting club. Everything I cast is from those venues. I got a Lee 452-200-SWC, and a Lee TL 452-200 SWC. These both have served me well. I chose Bullseye powder and have settled on 4.6gr. This combo is very easy to load and great fun putting 'paper punch' holes in the targets.

Boolit Master

Highly recommend you try WST for 45/9/38/380...works for me.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

A standard target load for the .45 is 3.5 grs BE under a 200 gr SWC boolit. That wouldn't reliably function my wad gun, so I upped the charge to 3.6, and had no problems from then out.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Recently found and bought a 4" S&W 625 in .45 ACP and might have to try some of these light loads just for fun. Much as I love my Colt Government Model it sure is nice not having to pick the brass up off the ground!
    You can go a lot lower with a revolver. Look at the Lyman loads for the .45 auto rim.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast