Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: T/C Hawken 45 cal. projectiles?

Boolit Master

T/C Hawken 45 cal. projectiles?

Fished out one of my muzzleloaders after storage over the last 15 or so years, a 45 caliber T/C Hawken. When I last shot it I was very happy with the Buffalo Bullets all lead projectiles, both in terms of accuracy and performance on deer. Well, Buffalo Bullets is no longer available in 45 caliber (although they just started making them again in 50 cal.)

What are you'all using in the 45 cal. T/C rifles?

Looking for an equivalent to the old bullet I was so happy with in yesteryear.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

I've got a mold for the TC .45 maxi ball, made by Lyman. Casts a pretty boolit, but have not tried it yet in my gun. But I figure it will because it's a TC design and they are usually tried and true.

Boolit Master
    Times have changed considerably in 15 plus years. But it's your lucky day Olevern. Their still available from Dixie Gun Works. {BT0202 Buffalo Bullets Ball-ET .45 Caliber} $14.50 per box of 50--200-grain weight. I hope these are what your looking for.

O/M

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast a .45 Maxi ball for my T/C Seneca. Outstanding accuracy and bullet performance. Roundball - not so much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Times have changed considerably in 15 plus years. But it's your lucky day Olevern. Their still available from Dixie Gun Works. {BT0202 Buffalo Bullets Ball-ET .45 Caliber} $14.50 per box of 50--200-grain weight. I hope these are what your looking for.

O/M
    thanks.. Overmax, but the buffalo bullets I used to use were longer projectiles than the "ball-ets" , I believe they weighed 285 grains.

'

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Hmm~~~ well at least we gave it a try Sir.

I found 25 boxes of NOS pre-lubed (BoreButter 1000+) .45cal / 320gr T/C Maxi-Hunter's ( a straight lead semi-HP boolit with 3 lube grooves) in an out-of-the-way funshop, and was able to buy all of them for a total of $10

When I opened the first box, I found they were so old that the lube had dried to a white/yellow dust - so I just cleaned all 20 slugs in that box & relubed them with fresh BB. I'll do the rest as needed.

So far, I've only used 6 of the boolits from that 1st box - 5 to zero and 1 for a deer. (Over 70gr FFFg Holy Black in my Seneca)

At this rate, I think I might have enough to last me until I go for my Dirt Nap.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Perm-Banned
    i just aquired a good used thompson .45 cal also. i had some .440 250 grain pistol bullets so i wrapped 2 wraps of 16 lb paper around them just a the pictures in the instruction book on paper patching. i lubed them with a little thompson patch lube. they came out .451. i put 80 grains of 2f under them a.60 poly wad between and they shoot holes in holes at .50 yards. those bullet turned that gun into a gun that is sutible for this open country and distance with punch.

Lyman double cavity Maxi ball and a double cavity .440 round ball is all you’ll need.
    I’ve an additional RCBS hollow based Minnie of about 265 grains IIRC for fast follow up shots. No longer in RCBS catalog. Tight patch ball or Maxi will not load down a bore with more than a few fires shots down it.

In my old TC 45 a tight patched RB over some FFFG is the most accurate. Will hit a C sized can all day at 50 yards. Maxi balls are not far behind. Light 45 RB are a recipe for disappointment with deer hunting. Use bullets of 200 grains and up.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a new Lee mold from fleabay which is a bollow base mini for the .45 muzzleloader. Anyone used this bullet? I also saw a Lyman mold which closely approximated it on fleabay and it was listed for 59.00 - thought that was a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Olevern View Post
    I just bought a new Lee mold from fleabay which is a bollow base mini for the .45 muzzleloader. Anyone used this bullet? I also saw a Lyman mold which closely approximated it on fleabay and it was listed for 59.00 - thought that was a bit steep.
    most molds on fleabay are steep.

I havent seen the old T/C maxi hunter in years , I came across an ole box of MaxiBalls at an auction in a box lot same problem with the lube dried and peeling