RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Land

Boolit Buddy
    I use google earth and gps to find water holes in the thick stuff. Hogs get smart and lay up where most people wont go......

I hunt mainly in the Sam Houston National Forest. Cannot bait animals or use buckshot. Cannot hunt rabbits or hogs at night (fair game in the day time). You can hunt predators at night with lights, nightvsion and e-callers!

Boolit Bub

I have never hunted in SE Michigan, but hunted Barry County State Game Area (along with a few others on the west side of the state) until recently. Definitely can be a pumpkin patch during gun season. I never had a problem while out, and did see a good number of deer. Haven't hunted public land much outside of gun season. I have heard about stolen stands and blinds. Public land is not my first choice, but if I had to I could go back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    I use google earth and gps to find water holes in the thick stuff. Hogs get smart and lay up where most people wont go......

I hunt mainly in the Sam Houston National Forest. Cannot bait animals or use buckshot. Cannot hunt rabbits or hogs at night (fair game in the day time). You can hunt predators at night with lights, nightvsion and e-callers!
    It ain't the animals I'm worried about. It is over zealous lazy hunters shooting while I'm hiking...I've read too many stories. Sam houston is indeed where I am looking to venture, I think I'll just get a hiking/public access pass this year and do a few scout hikes. Thanks for the info! I'm a yuppie that hasn't really done much other than sit in a blind.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I know what you meant. Get off the trails and pipelines into the woods where you will find yourself all alone.

I've hunted there for 25 years at night and during the day. I run Treeing Walkers (Coonhunting) at night anywhere from 3-5 nights a week by myself 99% of the time.

I've never had an issue other than getting lost due to losing my compass (I carry a backup now) after my light went out on a stormy night.....I ended up 10 miles from my truck.

PS:
    Read the rules and regulations or even better yet, take a hunters safety course which is required after being born a certain year. You cannot hunt within 100 yds of a road, etc. You must wear a hunters orange saftey vest (exposed front/back of 144" minimum) and hat during the day while hunting (you have to wear orange if you get off the designated trails), etc.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 09-01-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Additional information

Boolit Grand Master
    if your public is big enough you can beat the other hunters to an spot away from easy access
    I used to hunt public land FCL and National Wildlife Refuges exclusively when first started out hunting deer
    easy to see where everyone starts from,(parks their vehicles).I used to get just outside their comfort radius
    and when they walk in unbeknownst to the them they drive deer to me.walking out it was like a pumpkin patch hunters? behind every tree.I quit hunting on public land now though.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

During Modern gun deer season, and Turkey season. It's nearly impossible to find a place here in the Oauchita National Forest. Private land is the only way to fly for the most part here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12