RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Safe to Order New Marlin 1895 A/S/GBL Online (Qualtiy)?

Safe to Order New Marlin 1895 A/S/GBL Online (Qualtiy)?

Was considering getting a new ABL or possibly GBL. Don't think I want to pay the price for the SBL.

How safe is it, quality wise, to purchase online and have it shipped to FFL? With all the quality issues, I don't want to get into an inspection/return back and forth.

Curious if the quality is good enough to take a risk, or should I only purchase from somewhere I can find it in stock where I can get my hands on it and inspect it?

There aren't too many of these around and the one's I've seen in stock are either scratched, have function issues, or stock fitment issues, which is another reason I'm leery of ordering one without first seeing it. I've not put hands on one that I'd actually be willing to buy. Of course, this could the reason they are still in stock. Maybe the good ones already flew off the shelves?

I'd be sure to order from someone who has a no hassle return/replacement policy but I really just don't want the hassle of it if the odds are good that there will be issues.

Strongly leaning toward the ABL because I like the gray stock on black.

Thoughts?

I would not order any Remington product sight unseen. Brother in law looked at a semi auto 22 on the shelf and took one in a box. Barrel was canted. LGS gave him a new one. I bought a 243 Handi Rifle. First one out of the box had issues with opening. Again one in the box and not the display. The clerk fiddled with it bit and then brought me a different one that worked. I have not bought any Remlins but looking at those on the shelf I would want to see one before I bought it.

DP

You might want to go Marlinowners.com and do a little research there too.
    I am also wanting a 1895 ABL and have been reading up on the Remlin quality. Remington put in new CNC machines for the Marlin Lever actions in late 2014. The quality of the Marlin LA's has gone up immensely since then.
    It seems when Remington bought Marlin there were no drawings for any of the guns they made. It was apparently all in the heads of the guys making the guns. Or they lost them as job security when they were acquired. It took them from from 2009 to late 2014 to get drawings made of the measurements and the new CNC machines to where they could make quality guns.
    However you can still get a canted barrel or other problem and they still have to be inspected before purchase. Here is
    how to check the date of manufacture by the letters stamped on the barrel:

The month letter,

B = Jan
    L = Feb
    A = Mar
    C = Apr
    K = May
    P = Jun
    O = Jul
    W = Aug
    D = Sep
    E = Oct
    R = Nov
    X = Dec

The year letter,

E = 2010, F = 2011, G = 2012, H = 2013, I = 2014, J = 2015, K = 2016
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think it is usually best to buy a new gun from a trusted dealer in person. If there are problems the dealer will usually take care of getting it sent back for you. My local guy stands behind every gun he sells and will take care of you, even if the manufacturer won't. He has truly earned my confidence and I'll gladly pay more to buy from him, although his prices are quite competitive.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Some of the things those guys are discussing over there at marlinowners is depressing.

Problem I'm having at the moment is no one but online deals have these in stock. They don't appear to be scarce to order, just scarce on the shelves.

Grabagun has the ABL's in stock and their storefront is close to my office. They will let you pick up ordered guns at their storefront. I am going to contact them and make sure I can inspect it and refuse it if something is amiss with it.
    Which only might be an issue since I am going to have to put it on layaway. By the time I pay it off they may be out of stock and I am not sure what would happen in that case.
    By the way the ABL's seem to come with 2 different colored furniture with no rhyme or reason as to which one you will get. The grey like on the SBL or a brown green that seems to be different from anything else. They both are better than what is on the GBL but I would really like the grey like on the SBL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

I spoke with one of my local dealers and asked them about having someone in their warehouse pre inspect and he just laughed. Seemed like a relevant question given the mixed issues with these guns. He said they just grab and ship and wouldn't even know what to be looking for.

What would be nice is if I could contact someone like grabagun and have them pre inspect before shipping, and be able to trust they'd do a thorough analysis.

Grabagun just has someone grab one out of a warehouse in the box just like what your local dealer does.
    They keep very little at their storefront and it probably comes from the same place that your local dealer gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's what I'm guessing as well. Some super warehouse somewhere that they all pull from. That's the feeling I got from talking to my LGS.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yup. Buying any product under the sun sight unseen is a roll of the dice.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    I think that you have answered your own question.

PB
    Eventually that will be sort of self-defeating as the rejects remain on the shelf. Don't know that we've reached that point yet. If it is a firearm in short supply the LGS is usually reluctant to send back the only one they might be able to get. I'm pretty sure Remington has been in business long enough to get it right in the end. When the end will come and whether the "conventional wisdom" will continue to denigrate the product after the problems have been fixed are both open questions.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    Eventually that will be sort of self-defeating as the rejects remain on the shelf. Don't know that we've reached that point yet. If it is a firearm in short supply the LGS is usually reluctant to send back the only one they might be able to get. I'm pretty sure Remington has been in business long enough to get it right in the end. When the end will come and whether the "conventional wisdom" will continue to denigrate the product after the problems have been fixed are both open questions.
    I think you have a good point there. Probably the good ones are picked over and the ones you can see at the LGS are the rejects that are left. There are a lot of poorly made ones from 2009 to late 2014 still floating around. Supposedly the ones made in 2015 and 2016 are near the same quality as the JM's.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered one thru my local dealer. Turned out fine. Couldn't be happier. Of course, we had an agreement. If I didn't like it, he'd take care of it, but I liked it and it's mine now.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.