Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50-50-2% Blend

Hi, TY for the info related to what you used.

I went to a vendor site (Don't think I can state the name per the rules here), but was looking for & pricing the Super Hard for an addition to my lead blend.

1) They have it of course, but it is currently on sale but what I also saw on the page of this product was a notice that "We are phasing out this product".

2) So, that brought up some questions as to what would be a product to use as a replacement once it is phased out in the future?

IIRC, the NOE expanders work in conjunction with the Lee Universal Expander. I have looked at them and will probably purchase them for our pistols & rifles, plus the sizing dies that work with the Lee Kit Sizing dies.

Get what you can. Rotometals is an advertiser here, so no problem. Type metals are high in Sb so they will work. Guess if ou were wealthy you could get a bunch and resell here.
    Whatever!

Banned

SharuLady, you can use Linotype and Babbitt bearing alloys. You have to watch the babbitts though because there are so many that have all kinds of alloys in them that you may not want in your bullet alloy.

Banned

SharuLady check this site out I believe you will enjoy.

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Type metals are high in Sb so they will work. Guess if ou were wealthy you could get a bunch and resell here.
    OK on using Type metals. The last part of your comment made me

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    SharuLady, you can use Linotype and Babbitt bearing alloys. You have to watch the babbitts though because there are so many that have all kinds of alloys in them that you may not want in your bullet alloy.
    I looked at Linotype while there but from what I read on it there it's use would need to be restricted in the amt used. I happen to have 3/4 length bar of Babbitt that was given to me but I don't know what alloys it contains. TY for the link, I will check it out and read.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SharuLady View Post

I went to a vendor site...looking for & pricing the Super Hard...I also saw...a notice that "We are phasing out this product"

2) So, that brought up some questions as to what would be a product to use as a replacement once it is phased out in the future?
    I believe RotoMetals is only phasing out SuperHard in bar form. They have put in a casting machine that produces nuggets and I was told that was going to be the main form for their products.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Someone mentioned Pewter in smaller pieces, consider casting bullets with it, or partly filling a mini muffin mold maybe? (used ones from flea markets or second hand stores / Goodwill etc. are cheap)

Is there a sticky with the characteristics of all the "usual suspect" alloys here somewhere? I was making a list up & this machine had a mini stroke, haven't felt up to doing all that work again; Next time I'll stuff URLs in a text file instead of hoping that Windows will be stable.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a 2oz sinker mold for pewter, can't remember off the top of my head what weight they drop at...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    That'd do the job well too

Hi,
    I sent 3 samples of lead to BNE to test.

(1 - COWW - 1 - SOWW - 1 mixture of 27 lbs. of COWW - 25 lb. bar of Unidentified lead and 1 - 2 lb. rounded piece of another unidentified lead).

These are the results :

COWW
    Pb = 97.7%
    Sb = 2.0%
    Sn = 0.3%

SOWW
    Pb = 99.7%
    Sb = 0.3%
    Sn = 0%

COWW + Unidentified:
    Pb = 92.0%
    Sb = 3.5%
    Sn = 3.9%
    Cu = 0.6%

I know the *Coww + Unidentified* had some Cu in it from some battery clamps with some copper still in them. IIRC there was 5 of them.

There was also a Lead round circle with a hole in the center(like a donut), the top of it was rounded off and the bottom was flat (similar to a Donut Gasket). Weight was approx. 2 lbs.

The Lg. mass of lead bar was 25 lbs. of Unidentified lead and then the 27 lbs of pure COWW.

Maybe that lg. lead bar and the Donut piece had some other alloys in them to account for the higher Sb & Sn.

Yes, I took a gamble by smelting up this *COWW + Unidentified lead* but was just cleaning up left overs to smelt and make into ingots.

But it most certainly helps me in knowing the data & what they tested at!

SharuLady

Banned

I uses a lot of 5050 ww/pure. Mostly because I was given about a ton of pure so I want to use it up. What I do with most of the bullets casted out of it though is water drop them. Or at least pc coat and sometimes a even water drop them out of the pc baking oven. I just get better accuracy with them hardened a bit.

Boolit Master

Here's what I would do with that inventory.

1- leave the SOWW alone for now, use it in the future for whatever comes up

2- from my cipherin', you have about 54-ish pounds of the CWW/Unidentified mix. I would mix that with about 100-110 lbs of CWW.
    That should give you about 165lbs of something like 2.5-3% Sb, and 1-ish% Sn.

That mix sounds alot like what R5R looks for, and something that is very versatile. Enough Sb to water-drop or heat-treat for hardness, and enough Sn to cast well.

Then, I would use that mix for hot handgun, and rifle (when I get into rifles, anyway).

Boolit Grand Master

COWW + Unidentified:
    Pb = 92.0%
    Sb = 3.5%
    Sn = 3.9%
    Cu = 0.6%

That should be an excellent alloy for many applications where you want top end performance with the best accuracy, especially in rifles such as your 30-30s. It should cast excellent quality bullets and will also HT or WQ quite well.

For your handgun bullets I suggest mixing it 50/50 with the SOWWs for an excellent alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

What Larry said. But mix what you need in the casting pot vs a large batch so you can modify as needed.
    Whatever!

Hi,

TY for all the comments. I have a lot more COWW (over 1600 lbs.) available in ingots. My Soww I have 270 lbs. in ingots.

I do realize that is nowhere near as to what many on the forum have but I think (maybe) that will be enough for our purposes.

I will need to build up a bigger amount of SOWW for when I eventually start with working for the shot guns (but that is definitely on the back burner for now).

Right now I need to get the hand guns & the rifles set up.

SharuLady

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123