Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sighting in a peep sight?

Kev, look on Ebay. I have seen vintage wrist mounted Lyman and other standup sights for various rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Kev, look on Ebay. I have seen vintage wrist mounted Lyman and other standup sights for various rifles.
    Yeah but the old ones are expensive. Il look for a folding rear sight.

Midway USA has em for 120. "Marples wrist mounted peep sights"

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Midway USA has em for 120. "Marples wrist mounted peep sights"
    I dont want a peep sight, I want a folding rear sight so I can fold it down when I use my peep.

Ahhh ... I missed that ... srry ... LOL

Thinkin I'm clickin with ya now.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    I think the site is:
    https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

Anyway, I sent my wife the link to the 101 mid range as a 'suggestion' for my birthday - which is coming up... I want to put that on my 1895.
    Currently, I have a Skinner peep sight and I can hit 2' plates at 300 yards consistently and have hit plates at 400 yards but I'm holding above the target...
    WWG1WGA

Ya, something like that, I have one on my marlin, id like one of those old lyman folding leaf sights.

It's a little surprising how much misinformation there is on using aperture sights, but it really is simple. Disregard the aperture or peep, just look through the hole and put the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    It's a little surprising how much misinformation there is on using aperture sights, but it really is simple. Disregard the aperture or peep, just look through the hole and put the front sight where you want the bullet to go.

35W
    Yeah, I need to practice that. Iv'e always had barrel sights.

I know that is my battle as well. Hard to remember to NOT focus on the ring. When I relax and do not use them as barrel sights ... they work very well.

As stated ... look through the aperture not at it. Hard for me but if I keep in practice ... as with trigger squeeze ... it gets easier for me.

I went to shoot yesterday just for fun with my dad. I bought him a Henry wild life edition 45-70 brass frame for Christmas. It was his first time shooting it so I brought my rifle too. I was probably at 50 yards or so and hit the target (A road sign maybe 8x20 inches). I hit it 2/3 shots. I haven't sighted it in yet but its doing decent.

Boolit Master

For your Tang sight and rear barrel sight
    Sight the tang sight for 200 yards, and the barrel sight for 100 yards
    So you can keep the barrel sight on and will just be looking over it when
    you use the tang sight

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

I shoot a lot of skeet. As a result, for quick shots out to 50 yards, I don't even bother with a rear sight. My cheek weld is consistent enough that using only the front sight, I can hit minute of soup bowl every shot. I use the tang sight for longer or precision shots only. At 50 yards, the shots overlap with the tang sight, taking time to aim carefully. My 73 is about as accurate as I am on good days and will do anything I need it to out to 100 yards. BTW My marbles came with 3 different size aperture disks. I sometimes shoot with the small disk with a large aperture. It is a good one for hunting as it is large enough for fast target acquisition at typical hunting ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I shoot a lot of skeet. As a result, for quick shots out to 50 yards, I don't even bother with a rear sight. My cheek weld is consistent enough that using only the front sight, I can hit minute of soup bowl every shot. I use the tang sight for longer or precision shots only. At 50 yards, the shots overlap with the tang sight, taking time to aim carefully. My 73 is about as accurate as I am on good days and will do anything I need it to out to 100 yards. BTW My marbles came with 3 different size aperture disks. I sometimes shoot with the small disk with a large aperture. It is a good one for hunting as it is large enough for fast target acquisition at typical hunting ranges.
    I got the lyman tang and it came with three disks also. Its a good sight but honestly I just didn't like the look of it. Iv'e been wanting a ladder style peep sight forever and finally got one from a member on another forum. Can't beat the price I got it for... Im really thankful.

You'd have to D&T, but you might consider a Skinner peep. http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

I went to shoot a few rounds and it shoots nice at close range. Maybe 20-40 yards is good. At long range it needs to be adjsuted more.

Boolit Bub
    I use a tang site on my 86 for hunting and am amazed at how easy it is to quickly get on target, moving or stationary. I hunt in the timber, so shots longer than 125 yards are rare, so I sight the tang sight in for 100 yards. For a 200 yard shot, I adjust the height a certain number of turns up and consistently hit an 8" target at 200 yards. Best 100 yard target is 1.75".

I use aluminum shims made from pop cans to get my tang sights plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobru View Post
    I use a tang site on my 86 for hunting and am amazed at how easy it is to quickly get on target, moving or stationary. I hunt in the timber, so shots longer than 125 yards are rare, so I sight the tang sight in for 100 yards. For a 200 yard shot, I adjust the height a certain number of turns up and consistently hit an 8" target at 200 yards. Best 100 yard target is 1.75".

I use aluminum shims made from pop cans to get my tang sights plumb.
    Whats a good target size, for hunting? a paper plate? Its about the kill zone of a deer... Heart lungs etc...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast