Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Containers for Powder ?

Boolit Buddy

Storage Containers for Powder ?

I just received a 12 lb and 3 lb metal drum of Red Dot powder for free . The previous owner wanted the 12 lb can back and I would like to know what I can safely store the powder in. I am concerned about putting it in other empty powder containers because of any residue that may still left in them that is not the same.
    Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry bout any residue, blow it out with your compressor and swab it with toilet paper and a stick if you like...I think most important is using plastic containers rated for the powder's coating...it'll have to have some kind of chemical resistance.
    Have you saved up that many empties?

Most of all don't forget to relabel what you have...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    I was thinking those large round cardboard oatmeal containers similar to the barrels the powder came in.

Boolit Master

Maybe if you ask nicely someone on here will have a couple or 3 of the black plastic containers that are being used by todays powder companies. I had 1 empty 8 lb. black plastic can but gave it away. Just make sure that whatever container you use will be able to completely shut out any light, the enemy of powder. Some of the heavy opaque 1 gallon milk cartons with screw on caps would work if cleaned with plenty of hot water. They are strong and I don't think any light would get through them and I think they would be safe chemically also. The oatmeal can would work also if the lid secures good and tight. Just a few thoughst, james

Boolit Master

Oatmeal containers of today are pretty flimsy and absorb moisture. Go for a used plastic powder container. Check out some of the heavier tupper ware type food containers that snap shut tight. Or maybe a small plastic gasoline container (a new one of course). They're pretty rugged and air tight.

Boolit Buddy
    All great suggestions. I am gathering from the responses that you definitely need a container(s) that will not leave light in ? I have to admit I do not have enough empties at this point to store the 12 lb right now. I did dump it in a 5 gal plastic bucket that has a lid with a rubber seal in it and placed a garbage bag on the top prior to sealing the lid to help keep moisture out . I was thinking also this may not be good enough.

Boolit Master

make sure its a dark color so light can not get to the powder.

My father in law used to buy surplus powder from Hodgdon powder in the 60's. He reused the thick yellow plastic anti freeze one gallon containers for storing the powder. I am still using that H4895 and H-4831 powder today and it is still good.

Boolit Master
    Won’t the fumes attack some plastics, including trash bags? I’d probably use a metal gas can, like a powder can, surely they are designed to split open at moderate pressure.

Oh, and nice score!

Boolit Grand Master

Some paint stores sell gallon jugs empty and new with lids

Boolit Buddy
    I have some bulk powder that came in doubled heavy black plastic bags inside a sturdy cardboard box. Markings on box indicate that is how it was shipped from manufacturer.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    make sure its a dark color so light can not get to the powder.
    I have some Accurate Arms 3100 in regular plastic milk jugs that was bought in 1981. The jugs were always stored inside away from any sunlight and the powder still performs like it did when I first bought it. It is preferable to have black containers for sure but the idea of the antifreeze jugs is pretty interesting and they can be had in black as well.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Look at the plastic identifier on the bottom of your existing powder bottles. It is probably HD polyethylene. Use a solid black polyethylene. It is almost totally chemically resistant.
    EDG

Banned
    red dot container is marked #2 HDPE plastic, look for that and you should be fine

red dot composition

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I agree with Grmps. I store mine in large pill bottles/chemical containers. We used to buy the bulk size bottles of Tylenol. They are marked with hdpe 2, as was mentioned above. Sirgknight ordered some oil bottles online, and broke some bulk powder up. They are also made of hdpe 2.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    I have some bulk powder that came in doubled heavy black plastic bags inside a sturdy cardboard box. Markings on box indicate that is how it was shipped from manufacturer.
    commercial quantities come like this if you order 35 or 50 lbs of powder it comes in a plastic bag inside a fiber drum.
    the 35 pound ones will hold 10-k 9mm rounds, so they still have some use when empty. [besides holding your tears from having to replace it]

Boolit Master

I would just use these containers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35a8dd4d5d0b25be6e6a42df5e7ed6bc--shotshell-reloading-oil-filter.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	207726

JK, I have used black 1gl antifreeze containers in the past, I didn't match the markings then, but would now. Of course I only had about three pounds to store and that didn't last long before I reloaded my shot shells (and a bunch of pistol) for dove season and emptied the container.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Would a large plastic coffee can work ?

I stored a bunch of 231 from the 70's (part of the pile my grandpa left behind). I filled a gallon Ziploc bag half way and folded it over, leaving the zip part way open. I then put that in a vacuum bag and sealed it up. You can fit a lot of powder in a 20mm can.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Would a large plastic coffee can work ?
    Just looked at the bottom of a Folgers plastic coffee can. #2 in the triangle and HDPE under the triangle just like my Alliant and Hodgdon containers. VhitaVuori has #2 in the triangle and PE-HD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast