RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 243 Target reloading kit worth?

Boolit Master

Lee 243 Target reloading kit worth?

What is a fair price for a used Lee target wack-em loader kit? 243 caliber.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I don't know about the "wack-em" but I bought a Lee hand loader to take to the range for workup loading. At the time it was $20. and you can use regular dies with it. FYI

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Master
    I have the Target model where the inside diameter of the necks are reamed to center the bullet in 308 and 30-06. Purchased these new many years ago. Loaded ammo for a M1 Garand and a Civilian M-14 while shooting NRA High Power Matches. Also go one for a Weatherby 300 Mag.
    It seems the Lee Target model is not for sale very often in Swaping and Selling.
    Current price for a used Lee Target Loader all depends on how much an individual would pay.

https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-243-win.html
    This is from Lee's website, I wasn't able to find it on Titan's website, but they may carry it. Might have to call them.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Moderator Emeritus

I never knew there was a target model.
    a quick google search found one "vintage"set available for $70
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have and have used a 30-06 Target Loader since the 1960's. I also had a 8x57mm target loader but gave it and a 30-06 target loader to my son. The most accurate 30-06 loads I ever loaded was with the Target Loader. In my believe the Target Loader was the best tool Lee ever designed. I wish they still made them. my opinion anyway, james

Boolit Master

When you decide on a price,
    Please let me know
    Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Just saw one on Ebay about 5 minutes ago. They wanted $150 for it. I really think that is too high but when some people start collecting stuff prices can get very ridiculous.

Boolit Master
    well, the asking price I think is 65 bucks and I felt that was fair. I will make an offer that is reasonable and go from there. I wish it was 6MM Remmy , 7mm Mauser or 8 mm Mauser.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master
    Other than possibly bullet weight, isn't "6MM Remmy" the same thing as the 243?
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Bullets are the same diameter but the case (243) is shorter and fatter. Ballistics are almost identical. 6mm Remington is a little better for a reloader because of a little more case capacity and a longer neck. Also the 6mm was originally named .244 Remington.
    Last edited by chris112; 09-27-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    well, the asking price I think is 65 bucks and I felt that was fair. I will make an offer that is reasonable and go from there. I wish it was 6MM Remmy , 7mm Mauser or 8 mm Mauser.
    Hmm, you might have a case of 57mm case addiction.

If one has to have an addiction, that's good one - a grand old case and cartridge family.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    Hmm, you might have a case of 57mm case addiction.

If one has to have an addiction, that's good one - a grand old case and cartridge family.
    its worse than that, winning a lottery would not fulfill the desire!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy

"Wack-Em" I had to laugh as in the last century when we shot benchrest that's how we loaded our ammo in between rounds, still have those things setting on my shelf above my bench.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    The Lee Target loader is not worth a dime. Have had 4 or 5 of them. Much prefer the pair of hand dies sold by Wilson. The Wilson dies were pretty much standard benchrest equipment for about 60 years.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The first reloading tools I ever bought were 2 Lee Loaders,one is still unused because it was so hopelessly out of spec it was impossible to use for anything but priming.The other one I altered to fit my first press,it was such soft steel that I reamed it with an adjustable reamer.But I am still using it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one in .222. Sold it for $75 about six years ago.

My experience was different than EDG's. It was slow but made accurate (MOA) ammunition.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    My results. Were ok. But I only paid $8 to$20 for mine. For what they sell for now you can buy the superior Wilson tools.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I had one in .222. Sold it for $75 about six years ago.

My experience was different than EDG's. It was slow but made accurate (MOA) ammunition.
    EDG

My first reloader was a Lee Classic in .243. The Lee Target Kit added the Neck Reamer and a Lee Priming Tool. I added the Priming Tool and a Redding #1 scale immediately and never worried about Reaming necks.

These tools were just economical versions of the Wilson Dies and do exactly the same things. Wilson dies are much nicer, but bottom line is they don't do anything that the Lee Dies won't do.

I personally think a BPM Hand Press with good dies is an even better way to go,,, but that's just me.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I've loaded thousands of .222 Rem and .223 Rem rounds with Lee target loaders. I also have a Lee .308W and 30-06 Lee Target loaders which I've loaded probably thousands of round on also. Last year I picked up another '06 Lee target loader ($65) and modified it to load 30x60 XCB with.

They are indeed excellent and I also wish Lee still made them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast