WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS neck expander die

RCBS neck expander die

Along with a new Lyman 452460 mold, the little brown truck of happiness dropped off an RCBS neck expander die. I don't know if these are new, or I just stumbled onto them. Anyway, the die itself is universal and comes with one plug of your choice, and you just buy the different size expander plugs to suit your needs. I shoot a lot of .30 and ordered the die set up with a .309 plug plus a .310&.311.

It's easier to set up than a Lyman M die and does a much smoother, nicer job. RCBS did a good job on this thing. $25.00 for the die w/1 plug, and additional plugs are $10.00 each from Mid-South Shooters Supply.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Buddy
    I use the RCBS neck expander die also. I agree with oldhickory on use of the die.

Boolit Master
    Does the die add the "step", like the M-die does, or does it just flare the mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Does the die add the "step", like the M-die does, or does it just flare the mouth?
    It will do either, or both. I set mine to just add the step, (something I've not been able to do easily with the M die) using the .311" plug on some .308WCF casings. I got the boolit (.311") set 3/4 of the way into the stepped casing with very little to no noticeable flair.

Here's a pic of 2 dummys and one case ran through the die ready for a boolit, the dummys haven't been ran through a seating die yet. The fit is just snug, finger seating using the .311" plug and .3105" sized boolits. Flairing can be accomplished by setting the plug lower in the die. I like this a whole lot better than the Lyman M die. It's easier to set, fatigues the cases less, and it's cheaper for multi calibers.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Oldhickory.

The M die works for me but it's nice to know their are other options. Reckon it's time to peruse the various catalogues...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    I've a RCBS die with .310 and .311 expanders. It does size the case neck and flares the case mouth but it does not put the "step" in the case mouth as does the Lyman M die. I like to set the bullets in the case mouth of the cases in the loading blocks. With the step inside the case mouth the bullets stay there. They do not stay so well in case mouths flared with the RCBS or Lee dies. I still prefer the Lyman M die, just a matter of choice based on one's likes is all. Both dies are good and get the job done better than the Lee which does not size the inside of the case neck.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I have both types of dies and prefer the M die.....setting it just to the gas check starts and no more...then the neck tension holds the boolit
    I did notice that my target groupings using the same load got tighter when I used the M die.

Boolit Grand Master
    I still prefer the Lyman M die, just a matter of choice

I'm with you Larry, I've tried em' all, the Lyman M die is definitely the way to go.

Ben

Boolit Bub
    Anyone have anything to add about getting less neck stretch with one or the other?

The first reason for me getting one or the other is my expander balls on my 30/30 and even my my carbide dillon .308 dies are stretching the heck out off my brass. Even drylubing the inside of the necks. I plan on shooting lead with the 30/30 but not with the 308.

I thought I might add I got less stretch using sizing wax on the inside of the neck.
    Last edited by Justinsaneok; 09-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Looking for more ways to shoot more bullets.

I think I will put on some popcorn and wait for Gearnasher to show up.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.