Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric Smoker

Boolit Grand Master

Electric Smoker

I bought an electric smoker a few months back, I know that will offend the purists but sometimes a conventional smoker is more effort than I want to put into a pile of chicken & ribs.
    Tonight was my third attempt, very much like my first two. Seems there's no hurrying even an electric smoker. I fooled around most of the afternoon and didn't make it home before about 5P, smoker still hasn't gotten it done and it's almost 1:30. Got lots of loading and surfing done while I was waiting.
    I think my thermostat may be a bit off or the tables are wrong. They say 3-4 hours @ 200 degrees is all it takes for ribs and chicken, methinks I'll try 220 degrees next time. I'm meeting someone at the range tomorrow morning and it's gonna be a short night, lol.
    I'll post pics if I can figure out my new phone/camera. Looking good so far but it's dark & smoky out there.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

first thing you need to invest in if smoking meat is a good meat thermometer. Ive got two digitals that monitor both meat temp and inside temp. I use both when smoking and believe the one thats reading lowest. Be careful with them too as i bought a few before i found ones that are calibrated right and even they are 5 degrees off between them.

Boolit Master
    I have an old smokey electric smoker and what I like to do is take a whole chicken at about 6 a.m. and put it at 225 degrees and let it go all day. Come super time its ready nice, smoke flavor, juicy and almost falls off the bone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Low maintenance.

Turn it on, set the temp, put in you chunks or chips, let it do it's thing.
    After tasting the product, I'm convinced. This coming from a charcoal smoker guy.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	107841
    This smoker has a probe, just haven't used it. I prefer to use another digital that I use for everything else. I guess I should figure out how to use it to save opening the door.
    My favorite BBQ place uses a battery of commercial electric smokers, I was a bit disappointed when I first caught a glimpse of them but you can't argue with the results.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

What model is it? My first was the little red brinkman unit. Any wind would kill the heat in it. Bought the blanket that goes around it and got amazing results.

I gave it to my MIL when I upgraded. She's a little short on comprehension skills and skipped the water pan and set the whole thing on fire.

Banned

i have to agree. Ive been using an electric of propane smoker since day one and never had anything but compliments on the final product. Id never want the inconvience of having to use a charcoal smoker. Just to tough to maintain proper temps for a perfect job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Low maintenance.

Turn it on, set the temp, put in you chunks or chips, let it do it's thing.
    After tasting the product, I'm convinced. This coming from a charcoal smoker guy.

Shiloh

Boolit Bub
    I by passed the electric smokers...I use a propane smoker in conjunction with a small pan of charcoal and wood chips... I use it for smoking pork shoulders, chicken, sausage and lunchmeat... I can control the heat very closely and I can do fairly large batches as well...

Here is a batch of lunch meat going in....

And here they are coming out...actually I have a batch of this lunchmeat in the smoker right now...

I do have a charcoal smoker/grill also, and I use that for ribs and small loads of chicken...but the propane smoker is hard to beat for big batches...

Z

Moderator Emeritus

at 225 ribs can take 6 hours for spares, chicken varies depending on the chicken. My traeger is electric start but then runs on the burning pellets. Fill hopper, turn to low and start it, set the temp, add food ignore it except for mopping and flipping the ribs once an hour. I have tossed a brisket on and gone to bed. But I do use a wireless thermometer with low and high temp alarms that will wake me if there is a problem.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/shop/?mav...tegoryIDs=6882

Boolit Grand Master

My smoker's a little Masterbuilt, Cabelas had an awesome deal on them awhile back so I jumped on it. It takes a handful of chips every 30 minutes or so but I like that idea better than pellets.
    Awesome rig, Zeebob. What kind of luchmeat?
    225 sounds good to me, Mary. Agreed on the chicken, my first victim was a big roaster and I thought I would never get it done. I just rub my ribs and let them cook, rub gives it a flavor I prefer over sauce and I quite honestly don't need the extra calories.
    Don't know it I have room but I'm thinking a pork shoulder or brisket will be fun next time I fire it up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i have to agree. Ive been using an electric of propane smoker since day one and never had anything but compliments on the final product. Id never want the inconvience of having to use a charcoal smoker. Just to tough to maintain proper temps for a perfect job.
    Winter smoking is a crapshoot with charcoal. Just darn near impossible for the temp consistency you need. There are folks up here in the frozen noth who pull it off. I'm just not one of them.

This is where electric and gas really show there mettle. Easier to keep consistent.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Wind often makes it difficult to smoke stuff on my little spot on the prairie. That's why I like a smoker that keeps most of the smoke inside and doesn't need a fire. I'll still use the other smoker with the firebox attached now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebob View Post
    I by passed the electric smokers...I use a propane smoker in conjunction with a small pan of charcoal and wood chips... I use it for smoking pork shoulders, chicken, sausage and lunchmeat... I can control the heat very closely and I can do fairly large batches as well...

Here is a batch of lunch meat going in....

And here they are coming out...actually I have a batch of this lunchmeat in the smoker right now...

I do have a charcoal smoker/grill also, and I use that for ribs and small loads of chicken...but the propane smoker is hard to beat for big batches...

Z

Thats some great looking meat! You guys are making me want to pull out the smoker this weekend!
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus

In a charcoal smoker you need to use a charcoal maze, light one end and it will help control the temps as it burns.

Boolit Master

Making 5 lbs of bratwurst this weekend, will be smoking them as well. I have a great group of friends that brew beer. We are making brats with some of the home made beer (an IPA) and some home made beer mustard (Irish Heavy) for our yearly get together next weekend.

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with an electric smoker, they have their place. They are especially good at low smoking temps for things like bacon, back bacon, jerky and cheese. I use my PID to control mine.

TXgunut check out a smoke generator if you don't want to mess with constantly adding chips. Works on the same principle as the charcoal maze maryB posted. Used in conjunction with a PID it makes a smoke effortless.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    In a charcoal smoker you need to use a charcoal maze, light one end and it will help control the temps as it burns.
    This is a GREAT idea MaryB!!! We need to talk!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJlBLYGNcs

When I lived in Alaska, many of us simply made "a real mans smoker" out of old refridgerators.

I smoked salmon, ptarmigan (grouse), DollyVarden trout, turkey breasts, hot dogs, and more.

There is nothing like home smoked foods, an American tradition.

HV
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 06-20-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master
    Really good tips here. I own all 3, but haven't used the charcoal one in a couple (3-4) years. Just easier to Plug-N-Play or turn the valve and push the button.
    Keep the water pan filled, or you end up with meat fibers. I soak my wood chips in water for 10-20 minutes, then drain and throw them in the chip pan. You can never have enough thermometers around. It sure beats food poisoning! Err on the high side of temp. 5-10 even 15 degrees too hot won't really hurt you, as long as you keep the water pan going. Did I say water pan? Err on the low side and you might meet Mr. Food Poisoning. Did I mention food poisoning?
    Boil some water. Put your temperature probe in there, and if it says 212F then you're good to go.
    The above are observations I've learned over the years. I hope they might help ..... Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those Little Chief electric smokers that's is just basically an aluminum box with a few racks and a heating element. I have settled on a hybrid approach to using it where I leave the meat in it for one pan of chips. Once all of the chips have burned and the smoke has ended I transfer the meat to either the oven or gas grill (depending on the season and the toughness of the cut) to actually cook. This gives me the smoke flavor I want but with much more control over the cooking process.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.