Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure

Banned

RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure

I am considering getting one of these and would like to know your opinions as to quality, function etc. Thanks in advance.
    Russ

I have been using the Little Dandy for many years for 95% of my handgun loading. As with any measure, the weight of the charge thrown will vary with how the powder is compacted in the measure and the technique used by the operator. So, you must weight a few charges to see what they are. Most often they will be close to the printed material, but if you are dealing with top end loads where .1 grain would make a difference then you need to know.

I throw ten charges into the scale pan, weigh it and divide by ten. That will give me the average weight for that powder in that rotor. I then write that number down and proceed. I never load to the red line, so minor differences in charges don't make a difference, but I want to know the number anyway and write it down in my record book by rotor number and actual charge weight. I have a record of every round loaded since 1958.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one, I got it from am member on here a while ago.
    I have never used it,

I only have one drum for it,

I my only issue with the little dandy, is in order to change powder charges, you need to change rotors,
    and I load for more calibers than I can think of, so the money I would spend on rotors, I might as well
    buy a powder drop that is adjustable..

perhaps when I start learning about machining, I will make my own drums for my little dande so I can use it.
    hello.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Little Dandy™ and others of the fixed rotor design have the advantage of consistency without need for adjustment. The disadvantages are lack of fine adjustability and the cost of buying many rotors. If you can find a rotor and powder combination you like and use it to load a bunch of ammo, it can be a wonderful concept. RCBS markets 28 rotors for the LD and the discontinued Lyman Accumeasure™ had 15, several of which had two different sized chambers.

BTW, a sometime poster on this and other boards has developed an adjustable rotor for the Little Dandy™ and although I have no personal experience with it, the concept is interesting.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy

I have the Little Dandy, and after seeing the price of extra rotors, bought the adjustable rotor from Bailey Boats. Little over 40 bucks (price of three rotors from RCBS), prompt delivery, complete with directions and the tool to adjust it with. Dial it in and load.
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

I like the Little Dandy and over the years have accumulated 17 rotors (I had to go and count them), that cover all of my handgun loads and many cast bullet rifles loads with 2400 powder. I like them because once I have determined the actual charge weight, I don't have to mess with resetting the measure and checking it against a set of scales. I put the primed cases in a loading block and move the measure from case to cast. I then check the powder level in each case with a strong light to check for no, low or double charges, seat the bullets and away we go.

Yep, the rotors cost some money, but they do away with the time consuming task of setting the measure against the scales.

I DO make certain I am using the right rotor and right powder.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I've had one since the mid90's and have used it a lot. It's very consistent and accurrate.

Boolit Master
    Go to measure for small charges. I bought all the rotors back when they were less than $3.00 ea.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    I too have had one since the early '80's. Rotors haven't gotten cheaper but twenty years from now what will they be?

It's great for putting together a bunch of your old favorite loads without a lot of fiddling around. Maybe not the best for up against the firewall loads but great for those plinking, target, rock busting loads that are 90% of what I shoot.

Boolit Master
    "I am considering getting one of these and would like to know your opinions ..."

I'll not venture an opinion for fear of offending for no good reason but it's a fact the Lil' Dandy was dropped from production and it wasn't because RCBS couldn't keep up with demand. Ditto the very similar Lyman Accu-measure, with a full set of rotors, which I have because it once seemed like a great idea but seldom use because I find it's a bigger PITA to mount and swap the rotors around than simply adjusting and using my standard Redding powder measure.

The Redding 10x Pistol/Small rifle powder measure is probably the best, but expensive $180.00

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    "I am considering getting one of these and would like to know your opinions ..."

I'll not venture an opinion for fear of offending for no good reason but it's a fact the Lil' Dandy was dropped from production and it wasn't because RCBS couldn't keep up with demand. Ditto the very similar Lyman Accu-measure, with a full set of rotors, which I have because it once seemed like a great idea but seldom use because I find it's a bigger PITA to mount and swap the rotors around than simply adjusting and using my standard Redding powder measure.
    I believe your right, it is/was a niche tool. If the market gets saturated there's no point in making them just to sit on shelves. I'd also agree that it's not a tool for everyone and probably not for most. If there was only one best tool for any one purpose there probably wouldn't be much of a selection out there. Mine is one of three different measures I own.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

I have the Lil Dandy with about a dozen rotors. I have no problem with it. For the accuracy obsessed, you can modify a rotor with epoxy to provide a specific charge weight but powder charges aren't the MOST significant factor in round consistency. It's good at what it's supposed to do. Throw reasonably accurate charges quickly and easily.

I prefer the Lyman 55's as they have three different chambers that you can adjust to get an accurate volume.

Regarding accuracy, remember....the new fluorescent type bulbs will upset an electronic scale. I had one in a desk lamp and if it got too close to my scale, the weight measurement went bonkers.

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Moderator Emeritus
    I have half dozen Little Dandies and three of the Accumeasures with complete sets of rotors.

I collected them from people here and second hand in gun shops over the years so not a big investment.

I like fixed cavity powder dispensers including the Lee Pro disc, I have three of these. They are not as flexible as an adjustable powder measure for developing loads but once you have a load and an appropriate rotor then they are very good and consistent dispensers so long as your operation is consistent.

Mine are set up for different loads that I use a lot it is just a matter of mounting, filling and loading.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I also at one time used a Lil Dandy pm it worked fine but all of the rotors you have to buy makes the set up expensive if you load for alot a calibers ! the measure is $34.00 and the rotors $9.72 each. a option i would recomend is the oversized rotor knob that attaches to the factory rotor knob , avalible from rcbs $4.99
    At some time someone made a adj charge weight rotor for use in the Lil Dandy pm. i cant remember who or if there still avalible ?

Boolit Master
    There is also a guy roaming around the net that makes an adjustable rotor for the Lil-Dandy. He goes by the name of Bailey Boat on several gun forums.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    There is also a guy roaming around the net that makes an adjustable rotor for the Lil-Dandy. He goes by the name of Bailey Boat on several gun forums.
    Hi,
    This? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Dandy-Rotors
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Yup! That's him. The thread you posted a link to has both his address and phone number listed. I think it's a cool piece of kit to have.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Master
    I have 4 of the Little Dandys and all but one of the rotors.
    The facts of life are you will probably never use but 3 or 4 rotors.
    Many of my rotors came from gun shows and second hand shelves. I paid as little as $.50 each for some of them and $1.00 each for many. I think I bought only 2 at retail prices.
    I have used it to charge shot shells, hand gun ammo and reduced load rifle ammo.
    The largest rotors work well for some BPCR smokeless loads.
    The fact that they are not adjustable bothers me none at all. Once you have a standardized load for a handgun there is little need to monkey with it for the rest of your life.

With the small cavities they are much more consistent than a huge adjustable rotor in a standard measure.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I am surprised no one uses multiple dumps of a rotor weight to get the higher quantities for rifle loads. I have tested all of the rotors I have for up to 4 dumps, and have made a spreadsheet for all the powders I use. Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast