Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Spring help and advice please.

Spring help and advice please.

I have an original muzzleloader in need of a new spring. I have ordered spring material from Dixie Gun Works. I have the spring rough cut and shaped, however I'm looking for advice on how to make the hook. Should I just heat and bend it? I'm thinking it may be better to grind a U-shaped notch in a bold head, to use as a die. Lay down a drill bid of similar size to the hook, heat the spring and press into shape using an Arbor press. Maybe there is a better way...any thoughts?

I've bent a few springs, but never made one from scratch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170226_152335.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	189120
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Banned

Yes you can heat and shape but you then must do one thing. Re harden the whole spring and temper it back. I temper mine by throwing in the lead pot at 600° for an hour, I have a wire on it, fish it out and put on the pot side to cool down with the pot unplugged.
    I have made mainsprings and frizzen springs still going strong after 35 years.
    I forgot, polish all scratches out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Yes you can heat and shape but you then must do one thing. Re harden the whole spring and temper it back. I temper mine by throwing in the lead pot at 600° for an hour, I have a wire on it, fish it out and put on the pot side to cool down with the pot unplugged.
    I have made mainsprings and frizzen springs still going strong after 35 years.
    I forgot, polish all scratches out BEFORE HARDENING.
    Added bold text.

Boolit Grand Master

I find that the hooks are easier to shape if I use a swedge block and tap the red hot spring end into the divot with a round rod of the appropriate size. I use old irons for making the swedge blocks or just a good say 2x2 inch chunk of iron or steel. Just drill a hole in the block and then cut it off so you have a 1/2 round in the top. I lust after my friends tin smiths set with a 2x2 foot swedge block with all kinds of divots and depression built in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Added bold text.
    Yes. Thank you.

Gentlemen,

The lead pot temper idea is great, wasn't sure an easy way to do that task.

While I do not have a wedge block, I do have access to the means to make something work.

I knew some folks smarter than me would step up. Thank you all for your advice. I won't be able to work on the spring until the weekend. I will post the progress.

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Some progress today, but not quite finished. I need to put lights in the shop...or start earlier in the day...lol! A good start on the hook, some minor grinding and/or file work to smooth it out.

Name:	20170305_203636.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	189783

Name:	20170305_203656.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	189784

Banned

Looks darn good, nice work. Just remember the hardening and tempering or it will break.
    Any heat at one point only is not good.

Boolit Mold

Question

I am in search of, a spring for my CVA 54 cal dbl set trigger. Shown here in this photo with the red arrows, the spring is missing on my trigger set. I have called another company to see if there trigger set will work and the lady was of no help in knowing if it would fit or knowing where I could find this spring, so I bring the search here as I have on another C& B group I am in on FB that led/referred me to this group.
    Not being real sure of the format of this forum, but thought at least the subject matter was correct, I would post here. Thanks for any information in advance as I haven't found anything searching through Numrich, Ebay, Track of the wolf, Deer creek products etc..

Name:	CVA-Hawken-Double-Set-Triggers-Black-Powder-Muzzleloading 1a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	190082

Boolit Mold

Sadly I can only report that so far I am batting ZERO to find this spring. Emails to CVA, Dixie Gun works. Deer Creek Productions have all come back negative.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jess View Post
    Sadly I can only report that so far I am batting ZERO to find this spring. Emails to CVA, Dixie Gun works. Deer Creek Productions have all come back negative.
    Those are pretty simple springs. You may need to make one, or have a gunsmith do it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I could make one if I had something to copy, even a broken spring. Need dimensions none the less but you have it and should be able to figure it out. Simple flat spring. Maybe a hole in it. Just need a piece of oil hardening tool steel, hacksaw and files. Propane torch to harden and then temper at 600°.

Boolit Master
    Post the request for info in the muzzleloading section.
    They have been a great help to me in the past.
    But if you san not find one, them make a template out of any steel, even a tin can.
    That will get the shape you need.
    Then duplicate it in spring steel.
    I made some like this out of the steel Tines off of an old Leaf Rake.
    Hay, just use what is handy in a pinch.

Name:	20170311_191414.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	190280

The spring I made fit this old original Birmingham proof marked pistol. I was lucky enough to have the broken spring to copy and individuals here for advice. Dixie offers spring matterial for a reasonable price.

I am in search of, a spring for my CVA 54 cal dbl set trigger. Shown here in this photo with the red arrows, the spring is missing on my trigger set. I have called another company to see if there trigger set will work and the lady was of no help in knowing if it would fit or knowing where I could find this spring, so I bring the search here as I have on another C& B group I am in on FB that led/referred me to this group.
    Not being real sure of the format of this forum, but thought at least the subject matter was correct, I would post here. Thanks for any information in advance as I haven't found anything searching through Numrich, Ebay, Track of the wolf, Deer creek products etc..

Name:	CVA-Hawken-Double-Set-Triggers-Black-Powder-Muzzleloading 1a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	190082
    Jess, check with Traditions Firearms. They might be able to help you:

1375 Boston Post Road
    P.O. Box 776
    Old Saybrook, CT 06475
    Phone# 860-388-4656
    Fax# 860-388-4657
    info@traditionsfirearms.com
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up

First, forgive me for barely being able to find this thread again. (I had to dig into my profile options to find this thread again) It took some time getting used to this format and I am still learning so thanks for bearing with me, Secondly I didn't mean to highjack the OP post and would be glad to make a new post in mentioned topic/area/forum, yet not knowing just how to maneuver around this forum yet, leaves me with some handicap at this time. Lastly thanks to Boolits member waarp8nt for the helpful inbox message which put me in touch with a parts supplier that might have the spring or be able to make one. Again I dont have the spring it's MIA and the only thing I have to go off of is the picture I posted to even be able to refer to it. I do have a thicker dbl set trigger than most I have seen in photos and its also the same thickness as in the photo. To mention, I have bent a paperclip in an effort to make a facsimile of the contours needed but its effectiveness is null at this point. SO thanks members of the forum for taking the time to answer my questions and to offer (unselfishly I might add) options on how to do it myself and to share the option of contacting a parts provider that hopefully can help. With much respect for the effort to take the time and reply in a civil and helpful manner I tip my hat to the Boolit forum members. Honorable mention to Skipper also for the link yet they don't have it either! boo hiss... dagnabbit! [edit] moved this request over to the muzzle loading section, and a part has been found from a vendor not related to the great boolit forum. thanks for the options and ideas!
    Last edited by Uncle Jess; 03-16-2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Moved request to Muzzleloading