Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XRF Gripe

XRF Gripe

Mods, If this is posted in the incorrect area, please move or delete as you see fit.

I had taken a break from performing XrF tests for members and recently started taking some samples. I send SPECIFIC instructions to everyone who has used this service about how to prep the samples. Basically they are as follows:

1) Tape a small sample to a card. "BB" size only.

2) Put your screen name on the card.

2A) Multiple samples can be placed on one card.

Here is a sampling of what I get:

Sample in a tiny ziploc bag with the sample name not clearly put on the baggie.
    Sample in a ziploc bag stapled closed.
    pound sized ingots to test
    boxes with absolutely no name related to the forum
    baggies with tiny cut out letters in the baggie for a sample name.

I ask for the samples to be prepped the way I do to speed up the process. Instead, I spend time sorting for clues as to who the box came from and then pulling the samples out, taping them to a card, and re-labeling them.

I am now going to add the following statement to my instructions:

"If the sample prep instructions are not followed, the samples will not be tested and no attempt will be made on my part to find or notify the owner."

BNE
    Last edited by BNE; 10-14-2020 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    How do you get them to BB size? I'm assuming .177 cal is what you mean. I have been debating sending you a couple samples but didn't quite understand, and been limited on time to melt an ingot down for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have been melting a drop of the alloy off the edge of an ingot and let it drip on a clean flat surface. Just a short 1/2" will do fine. Then glue that to an index card and print the source, your screen name so a PM can be sent with the results. Place the sample in a small individual plastic bag. Do not put more than one sample in a bag or they will contaminate and no reliable reading can be taken. Then add your ingots with sufficient packing making sure that the samples will not be damaged during shipping. I usually make a packing list so I can put the sample name and then number one or two or whatever. I put the list, and samples in an envelope so when it is time to test, all BNE needs is the envelope, scan the samples, note the results and send the PM. Please try to do everything we can to make it easy for BNE.

Boolit Master

Do you still want a 1# ingot as payment per sample for your services or is this service free of charge?
    I thought we could send a 1# ingot to sample and you kept it for payment.
    Anyone should be glad to make a donation of 1# of lead for each sample.

I am so very glad to see your doing this again.

I understand how you want the samples as per the first & 3'rd post, if there's nothing additional to that I'll prepare several samples I need tested & include 1# of lead per test.

? - Where do we find your mailing address?

thanks charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    BNE. THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS FOR US!

I imagine he needs a small sample so it will fit under his apparatus. Samples taped in place allows him to spend his lunch time eating and relaxing instead of having to prep said samples. I'm sure the sample doesn't have to be a perfect .177 sphere but gives a relative sample size necessary to fit.

Boolit Master
    Always thought your instructions are simple and easy to follow. It's pretty easy to to use a knife and cut a "V" shaped BB sized sample from the edge of an ingot to send you. Really appreciate your valuable service.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master
    Where can I find a link to your services?

I have some stuff I'd like samples tested to be sure of what I have.
    (I promise to follow your instructions!)

I have never sent you anything, though have considered it. I would like to say thank you though. I understand how frustrating it can be, though not as well as you do. So, thank you!

Bazoo

I would also like to thank BNE for his service to the rest of us and agree that his instructions are very clear and easy to understand.

To prepare samples, I drilled a 1/8" hole through the sprue plate, between the cavities in an old Lee 2 cavity mold and then used a countersink on the sprue plate hole. Now I can cast samples that BNE approves.

I hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    How do you get them to BB size? I'm assuming .177 cal is what you mean. I have been debating sending you a couple samples but didn't quite understand, and been limited on time to melt an ingot down for it.
    I would think a hacksaw would saw off a chunk from a bullet or ingot just fine.

Plus I believe that one of BNE's requirements was that a clean (i.e. non-oxidized) surface is needed to get a good/correct reading,
    so a saw cut would show a clean metal surface with no oxidation or junk on it.

Boolit Master
    Funny, having never used your service I assumed that you’d want ingots with a nice flat side so I’ve got a few of those set aside for when you decide that you are willing to start testing again.

I’ll make up some BB’s instead and tape them to cards, seems easy enough.

Thanks much for the service!
    Jim

Banned
    If I remember correctly, BNE wants something the size of a BB that can easily be hammered flat to be tested.

ideas:
    hammer a piece of your sample into a 1/8 round bar and cut off an 1/8 in piece
    chisel a 1/8x1/8 piece out of an ingot I believe it's the size, not the shape that matters
    drip a little into the tip of a small boolit mold and cut it to 1/8"
    clamp 2 pieces of hardwood together, drill a 1/8" hole in it then pour your sample in the hole. separate the wood and cut to 1/8" length.

BNE is furnishing a service for us at an unbeatable price (1 pound of pure lead)

Boolit Master

Just nip a small piece off with a side cutter.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master

BNE, you have every right to gripe, however, does the actual shape of the sample matter? Or is the quantity what is important? The rest of your requirements are very clear and simple.

Thanks for offering the service, though I will probably never need it.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    If I remember correctly, BNE wants something the size of a BB that can easily be hammered flat to be tested.

ideas:
    hammer a piece of your sample into a 1/8 round bar and cut off an 1/8 in piece
    chisel a 1/8x1/8 piece out of an ingot I believe it's the size, not the shape that matters
    drip a little into the tip of a small boolit mold and cut it to 1/8"
    clamp 2 pieces of hardwood together, drill a 1/8" hole in it then pour your sample in the hole. separate the wood and cut to 1/8" length.

BNE is furnishing a service for us at an unbeatable price (1 pound of pure lead)
    I thought it was one pound of whatever lead you had on hand, are you sure Jim?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Guys, thank you for the compliments and questions. I will put a summary together this weekend to to answer the questions.

BNE.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    A huge thank you, BNE, for all the samples you've run for me.

What I've done (and BNE, my apologies for the bags; I'll change that) for the large batches of source alloy I make up is to start with pouring a bit into a small sub one pound ingot. That sample is stamped with the same identifier as the batch of storage ingots being made. When I have enough samples to send, using a propane torch I melt a few drops off of each specimen onto an aluminum plate. The drops solidify as soon as they hit the plate, and are very flat on the underside. A few drops of each go into labelled jewelry sized ziploks and are mailed with a covering/identifying note and the payment bars of pure (I recall that being BNE's preference, though he does take other lead. Just don't abuse his remarkably gracious and inexpensive service to our casting community by sending him junk lead you know or suspect is unsuited to casting). Again, my apologies that the bags were a hassle, BNE.

For me, it's worthwhile batching samples, because the greatest expense is shipping the samples and payment lead. This does make clear labeling and distinctly separate samples very important, though.

Of course, if that's too much prep work, Rotometals will do a quarter sized or larger sample for you. It will just cost you a bit more (they're actually running a sale right now so it's only $45/test):

https://www.rotometals.com/metals-analysis-xrf/
    Last edited by kevin c; 10-16-2020 at 01:50 PM.

BNE yeah thanks for all you have run for me, maybe I'm the bad guy that send ingots in.

I forgot the BB sized pieces on a card with screen name my bad.

I always thought you wanted a 1LB lngot as payment and I have always sent in 2 to make sure you get 1 lB.

Sorry if I'm the guy you mentioned I really like that you can do this for us that have to know down to the %.

OH and sorry I send in ingots of the alloy I want tested so they are mostly never pure sorry about that to.

I will do as you like in the future and hope to send in more to you again Thanks
    bruce381

that is the way i will do from now on sorry that I did not think about how to make this easier, selfish I guess but will learn to do it right thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast