MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much stronger is the super redhawk

how much stronger is the super redhawk

I was just wondering how much stronger the frame of the super redhawk was vs. the super Blackhawk bisley hunter in stainless steel. I plan on shooting a lot of "full house loads" and 300 grain boolits. I will also be shooting 250-260gr keiths as well. is the sbh bisley hunter up to that? or would a redhawk be the better gun. I am very partial to the Blackhawk and much prefer it. also does anyone have experience with r enforcer powder? in the lee manual it really seems like my best bet. it produces the highest velocity with less pressure then some of the slow loads. thanks a lot! ps- I do not shoot a ton, maybe a hundred rounds in a month if I have the time, though I don't always shoot that much. I plan on hunting deer and hogs, and hopefully elk and a moos one day. not to mention any of the bears (black first, then grizz or brown) but that a ways down the road. thanks again-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    The SRH came about after Ruger .357 Maximum's suffered excessive throat wear. The idea behind the SRH was to beef up the throat. I shot the SRH in IHMSA and placed second in the Nationals. The gun can take what you feed it, mine digested a steady diet of 300 grain boolits and was ready for more when I was tired. When I was shooting the SRH there were not the interchangeable sights available for it as for the RH. Although the sights on my SRH were interchangeable they were not compatible with the interchangeable RH sights. I shot the SRH because I won it in a shooting match.

The RH and SRH are stronger than the SBH, albeit the SBH being a SA is more desirable to me, the cylinder walls of the SBH are not as thick as the RH and SRH. As far as throat wear, I'd expect to hear complaints for the Smith M69 guys but so far nothing but crickets. And a guy at the Smith plant told me they had M69's with 10,000 full magnum rounds through the with no excessive wear.

Boolit Master
    The SRH came about after Ruger .357 Maximum's suffered excessive throat wear. The idea behind the SRH was to beef up the throat. I shot the SRH in IHMSA and placed second in the Nationals. The gun can take what you feed it, mine digested a steady diet of 300 grain boolits and was ready for more when I was tired. When I was shooting the SRH there were not the interchangeable sights available for it as for the RH. Although the sights on my SRH were interchangeable they were not compatible with the interchangeable RH sights. I shot the SRH because I won it in a shooting match.

The RH and SRH are stronger than the SBH, albeit the SBH being a SA is more desirable to me, the cylinder walls of the SBH are not as thick as the RH and SRH. As far as throat wear, I'd expect to hear complaints for the Smith M69 guys but so far nothing but crickets. And a guy at the Smith plant told me they had M69's with 10,000 full magnum rounds through the with no excessive wear.

so you don't think the SBH's are as durable? because I really like the super Blackhawk bisley hunter. maybe if I shoot 250-270 grs most of the time and just shoot the 300's when I practice for hunting?

Boolit Master
    Personally I'd rather buy and shoot the SBH, wear it out if possible and buy another one than buy a SRH.

I really like the 43-290sg swc from accurate and the 43-250u keith style for plinking and smaller game. you don't think that a SBH would hold up to the 290gr if I shot it a lot?

Moderator Emeritus

I know the Redhawk's a very strong gun, and intentionally so, but if you use SAAMI spec reloads or factories, I'd expect the Super B to last just as long as the Rhk. Just my humble observation, based on several SB's having digested many thousands of full power (or a little better) Keith and jacketed loads. I'm quite sure some, or maybe even a lot of those loads, were beyond SAAMI specs. IMO, the choice between them is based more on handling qualities and how one grips the guns, and their hand size, than any technical strength difference between them. And I'm the guy who once blew up a Super B! And even with a double charge, that gun's top strap STILL held together! I'm not sure you can get ANY gun stronger than that!

Boolit Master
    Either gun is very strong,, and will work. I own Redhawks,,, Super Redhawks,, Super Blackhawks,, and all will work with heavy loads. But,,, I'd study ballistics in live animals over velocity & pressures as my guide. A heavy cast slug with a wide meplate,,, moving 1000-1200 fps will handle any of the hunting chores you've mentioned.

But I respectfully disagree with the comment about the Super Redhawk being developed because of the 357 Maxi & throat erosion. The 357 Maxi was stopped because of top strap flame cutting,,, when folks used light bullets,,, & hotter, faster powder, not throat erosion.
    The Super Redhawk came about due to a FEW Redhawks that had the barrel separate from the main frame. It took Ruger about 4 years to figure out why the barrels separated. It was due to the lubricant being left on the threads for an extended period, and it changed viscosity,,, causing excessive over torquing. I know this because my personal Redhawk was the very first one to have the barrel separate from the frame.

When you say separate from the frame, do you mean it came unthreaded or stripped the threads? I have visions of the barrel flying down range with the boolit,LOL.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    The barrel broke off,, sheared,,, where the threaded portion stayed in the main frame & the barrel went downrange about 8-10 ft. When it happened,,, I had a scope mounted on it,, and the gun was a laser straight accurate thing. I noticed I'd missed my pepsi can,,, and I saw "something" fly forward. It was my bbl & scope.
    No injuries,,, just a destroyed gun. Ruger replaced the gun,,, and it took them a long while to figure out that the lube was the issue. Seems a rack of bbls were all lubed at one time,,, then assembled. Well, it appears that the lube was left on a bbl or 3 for a long period,,, likely during one of the scheduled 2-3 week shutdowns,, and the lube dried,,, or the air affected it etc. Later,,, when assembled,,, it was torqued according to specs,, but the lube created a more resistant bond,,, and it took a bit of shooting to create the separation. The stress fracture had very little "burn" residue.
    Anyway, that's the explanation I was given after several years,,, of testing, and all by Ruger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    I was just wondering how much stronger the frame of the super redhawk was vs. the super Blackhawk bisley hunter in stainless steel. I plan on shooting a lot of "full house loads" and 300 grain boolits. I will also be shooting 250-260gr keiths as well. is the sbh bisley hunter up to that? or would a redhawk be the better gun. I am very partial to the Blackhawk and much prefer it. also does anyone have experience with r enforcer powder? in the lee manual it really seems like my best bet. it produces the highest velocity with less pressure then some of the slow loads. thanks a lot! ps- I do not shoot a ton, maybe a hundred rounds in a month if I have the time, though I don't always shoot that much. I plan on hunting deer and hogs, and hopefully elk and a moos one day. not to mention any of the bears (black first, then grizz or brown) but that a ways down the road. thanks again-Travis
    I'm assuming you are looking at the 44 mag models? The Super Redhawk is thicker and heavier in almost every critical area, but as long as your, "full house loads" are published loads I don't see you wearing out one or the other with a few rounds a month. I would focus on which grip you prefer. The Bisley Hunter style grip is loved by many large bore shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy

Like mentioned above, the SRH is stronger then the SBH. However, using any sane load, you'll never wear either out. Ever. You'd have to be WAY over published data to realize damage to either. Reason I prefer the single actions over the DAs is lighter carry weight. YMMV

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    When you say separate from the frame, do you mean it came unthreaded or stripped the threads? I have visions of the barrel flying down range with the boolit,LOL.
    A good friend of mine had that happen to him when shooting his 586 S&W. Factory said that particular barrel had missed the final tempering .
    You are being watched.

Banned

Ive put some pretty stout heavy bullet loads through my blackhawks and I mean stout! That said taffin had an article on loading the 44 mag redhawks and he was pushing 454 casul ballistics out of it. He was getting 300 plus grain cast bullets to over 1400 fps and I wouldn't put those through a Blackhawk. I did have a load I took to the linebaugh semiar in my 44 mag 5.5 bisley accusport that pushed a 340 to 1200 fps but it was right at the edge of sticky brass and id never post that load. It penetrated like no tomorrow though and put a lot of big guns to shame. So I would say that keeping things safe a super redhawk is probably capable of pushing the same weight bullet 200 fps faster then a Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    I had a j-word 240 gr boolit stop in the barrel of my SBH. I fired the next round of 22 gr. of 2400 and both boolits exited the barrel without any damage to the Ruger.

I was brand new to center fire shooting, brand new to reloading. A cartridge without powder was fired, I didn't know a primer alone had enough pressure to push a boolit into the bore. So I waited 10 seconds and fired the next round. Two 240 grain boolits backed with 22 grains of 2400 really kicked.

I mic'ed the exterior of the barrel and slugged the bore. There was zero deformation to the barrel. Not even the slightest bulge.

This was almost 40 years ago, I have not repeated this accident and I would t recommend anyone else try this at home. It is a testament to the strength of the Ruger SBH.

Vendor Sponsor

I would agree with Lloyd. A RH is about 200fps stronger than a SBH. However all the load combinations you listed are published loads and you won't wear a SBH Hunter out in your lifetime shooting those 300+gr loads every day!

They currently make the SBH in 480 Ruger and 454 Casull calibers. Afaik, the frames are all the same for the SBH models, the 5 shot cylinder I think is made of Carpenter steel, and possibly the barrels are too, but either of these two calibers are MUCH MUCH more pressure and punishment on both the gun and the shooter than any published loads for a 44 magnum.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Silver Jack Hammer, I'm confused! Did you fire 2 loads of 22 grs of 2400 with a bullet stuck in the barrel or just one? It's looking like you said 2 rounds of 22 grs created quite a bit of recoil.
    I agree, a Super Black Hawk is extremely strong, you'd have to be nuts to overload one but the Super Red Hawk goes beyond that, it's crazy strong!! It all comes down to which one fits you better, both are great hunting/shooting handguns, I've used them a great deal from small game to moose & bears, they just flat work.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Whildst shooting I got a "pssst" instead of a "bang." Instantly the sound of the report was identified as a cartridge with no powder, just the primer. I waited 10 seconds because back then we believed in "hang fires." Then I fired a second round, mistakenly believing that the bore would be free of any stuck boolit. The load was 22 grains of 2400. So one charge of 22 grains of 2400 pushing a 240 grain j-word into the barrel where another 240 grain j-word was already stuck.

are you saying hang fires are a myth? and I like the sbh because they have less moving parts than a double action, and I am a big fan of keeping thing simple, and they will work when you need them to if you do your part in caring for them like the expensive tool they are.

Moderator Emeritus

This question comes up with some regularity, and it surely SEEMS like it'd be a good question. But in reality .... well, I once blew up a Super Blackhawk. It was with the equivalent of a double charge of powder. Won't go over the story again here, but the point is, that gun held together!!! The top strap was cracked where the rear sight cut is (the weakest point on the top strap) about 2/3 of the way across BUT IT HELD TOGETHER!!!!!!! The bottom of the frame under the cylinder was bulged out slightly (now THAT is STRONG!!!!). The cylinder that detonated was gone, along with the one beside it. Found the round that was beside the one that detonated a few days later, and it had beenn slung out with enough force for the bullet to have torn the casing at the cannelure, and thrown out rotating, I'm sure, at high velocity!!! Needless to say, that gun was spent, totally. I had it sent back to Ruger, who I'm sure was afraid of a lawsuit or something, but I was too happy to have not been hurt, and too thankful for Bill Ruger's engineering and alloy choices, to EVER do anything like that. When they got it back, they offered me a new one at jobber's cost. The only "funny" think was that the new replacement was the first one to hit our town with the "warning" inscription on the barrel. My 'smith friend kept trying to kid me that they'd put that on there just for ME!!! I need to hang around a higher class of friends, I guess???? ;^)

So all this is to say that if a RHk is ANY stronger than a BHk, it's really immaterial, and would only matter in the most extreme of cases. I've long wanted a RHk, but it's never fit my hand or balanced or handled nearly as good as the BHk, so .... I remain RHkless, and probably always will now. The BHk is cocked while coming down out of recoil so DA trigger action really isn't an asset when shooting a .44. And besides, I look SO good with a SA in my hand! HAR! Gotcha', didn't I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast