Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 452374 brass four cavity solid or hollow point

Got my mold yesterday & these are the first, dropping at precisely .454, and the penta HP weigh 217.4gn. They look OK, but I think I need to get the mold a bit warmer & possibly add a bit of tin. These sure are quality molds & I'm looking forward to lots of boolits out of it!........now to size & PC!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mihec .45 mold.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	96137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiHecMold.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	96138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiHecSide.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	96139
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by woodman51jfk View Post
    Got my mold yesterday & these are the first, dropping at precisely .454, and the penta HP weigh 217.4gn. They look OK, but I think I need to get the mold a bit warmer & possibly add a bit of tin. These sure are quality molds & I'm looking forward to lots of boolits out of it!........now to size & PC!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mihec .45 mold.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	96137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiHecMold.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	96138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiHecSide.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	96139

It took a few sessions to get my mold to drop perfict boolits. I would heat it up and clean it cast a few let it cool down rinse and repeat. On the 4th time doing that all was well.

Boolit Buddy
    It took a few sessions to get my mold to drop perfict boolits. I would heat it up and clean it cast a few let it cool down rinse and repeat. On the 4th time doing that all was well.
    I'm not sure if I need to cast a few more times to get the pins to set, but I'm having a hard time getting the nose to come out right on the large HP pins. I made sure to add some tin to the mix. Before starting I put the pins and mold in the oven and baked them 2 times, then casted twice. Towards the end of my second cast I was getting noses to come out closer to perfect with the temp set a little higher. Main problems I had was either the nose not filling out or lead running past the HP pin in the venting space creating a good size fin. I tried squeezing the mold a little harder, but it didn't help much.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by cs86 View Post
    I'm not sure if I need to cast a few more times to get the pins to set, but I'm having a hard time getting the nose to come out right on the large HP pins. I made sure to add some tin to the mix. Before starting I put the pins and mold in the oven and baked them 2 times, then casted twice. Towards the end of my second cast I was getting noses to come out closer to perfect with the temp set a little higher. Main problems I had was either the nose not filling out or lead running past the HP pin in the venting space creating a good size fin. I tried squeezing the mold a little harder, but it didn't help much.
    I am having EXACTLY the same problem. I'll follow this thread with interest to see how others are solving this problem.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    MiHec makes extras......... PM him for one.... now!
    Just sent payment this morning. Now I'm in 'kid waiting for christmas' mode.

Boolit Buddy
    I am having EXACTLY the same problem. I'll follow this thread with interest to see how others are solving this problem.
    I was thinking I'd give it some time to see how the pins set in after heating and cooling a few times. Noticing how the large HP pins have a smooth transition to the full diameter of the pin made me wonder if it would help if the HP pin was machined at the transition point where the mold meets the pin to create a minimal shelf on the pin. I wasn't sure if it would help the lead to hit and hopefully stop at the shelf rather then continue to slide into the venting. Just a thought that I pondered.
    Last edited by cs86; 02-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    The one day I am not here when the mailman runs.....but at least I know I can get it tomorrow morning at the post office....YAY!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by cs86 View Post
    Noticing how the large HP pins have a smooth transition to the full diameter of the pin made me wonder if it would help if the HP pin was machined at the transition point where the mold meets the pin to create a minimal shelf on the pin.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing at times.... instead of the shelf, I thought of a radius to offset the joint before the draft taper. MiHec did this on the 45 RCBS and it worked better than this. Next time it will be there.

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to using this one.... whenever I get the time to cast again...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

MiHec,

PM sent in regards to ordering a mold if you have a spare one.

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Bub
    Mine casted great, except i got it too hot and frosted a lot of bullets before I realized you really have to go slower with big heavy bullets. I have been casting 9mm mostly and you can pour and drop as fast as your hands can move. These takes a deliberate few seconds between dropping and pouring. I will post up a few pics of mine later. They all look good except some frosting.

Boolit Master
    Picked mine up at the PO this morning. It is an absolute work of art! I'll be heating up the pot shortly...can't wait!

Thank you Miha and 45 2.1!

Boolit Mold
    Been nearly three weeks since I paid for hollow point molds, I got the round nose but not the HPs. They all go out already?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Alchexn View Post
    Been nearly three weeks since I paid for hollow point molds, I got the round nose but not the HPs. They all go out already?
    All paid all out. Usually I send next day, but not on weekends. Shipping is by post (USPS), so there might be a problem.
    Do not panic - I have shipping numbers in case there is unreasonable shipping time. But please be patient and don't bombard me with shipping numbers requests.
    It takes me a lot of time ;(
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchexn View Post
    I got mine in two separate drops, about a week or so in between. No worries!

Boolit Buddy

Mine arrived today

CPL Lou

Boolit Master

I thought it would come today, but no mold today maybe tomorow

Boolit Mold
    Thanks MiHec! Just wondering if there was anybody else still waiting.

Boolit Bub
    I finally got out today and tried 15-20 round-nose, deep hollow point, and penta-point through my Springfield Armory XD45. My other .45 mould, a Lee 6-cavity aluminum model, dropped bullets that just refused to feed reliably. I tried changing OAL, crimp, powders and charge, but nothing worked. I decided to try one of this Mihec mould and all I can say is wow. All three bullet forms fed flawlessly! I'm a very happy camper, and sold on these brass moulds. Other than the one Al mould, my other dozen moulds are Lyman 2 cavity steel from 20+ years ago. They are really my only experience with moulds (the Lee Al mould was a recent, unhappy experience) and I've had no problems with them at all, except that casting two at a time is SLOW.
    I'm sold, I love this mould and can't wait to spend some quality time dropping .45 bullets! Finally, I can resume exercising my .45....

Tarkid

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtonory View Post
    OK...got it going on now! 1) I bought a cheapo hot plate, set to medium & let the mold live there while heating the pot & between pours. 2) added 2% by weight, of tin. 3) Increased pot temp...( no thermometer, but went from 4.5 - 5 up to 6 on a Lee Pro 10 )
    To top them off, I powder coated, using the Harbor Freight set, baked at 400* for 20 minutes, loaded to jacketed specs....and I ain't lookin' back!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-11 16.26.47.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	96800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-11 16.24.56.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	96801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-11 16.26.08.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	96802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-11 16.22.40.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	96803
    USA Ranger ( Ret. )
    Life Member NRA,
    RangeMaster, Linn Creek Milsurp Shoot-Offs
    Master At Arms, NAGS
    National Association of Glue Shooters

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334 LastLast