WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stretching that 44 mag case

Boolit Master

Stretching that 44 mag case

SOMEWHERE................ I read that their is another rifle case that uses the same shellholder and has the same diameter as a 44 mag case. looking to make longer brass for shot loads for my ruger sbh revolver.

Perma-Banned
    445 Super Mag

Attachment 190121

Perma-Banned
    Designed by Elgin T. Gates for silhouette shooting, the .445 Super Magnum is a heavy duty, lengthened version of the .44 Magnum. Guns have been manufactured by Dan Wesson and Thompson/Center. Primer pocket must be reamed deeper if you wish to use Large Rifle primers.

Boolit Master
    I've been cutting down .444 cases and .303 Brit cases. I also use a cutdown .410 shotgun wad for the shot. Top it off by crimping a piece of card stock, cut to size, over the shot, and a few dribbles of candle wax to hold it in place.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Perma-Banned
    1.600 - 1.610 O.A.L.

152.50 for 250 pieces of brass from Starline.

Boolit Master
    And by the way, the .445 Super Mag is a blast to shoot!! We even had a pretty lady shooting one at one of the NCBS get togethers.
    It really puts the knockdown on a swinging steel plate!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Perma-Banned
    Kinda reminds me of the old .357 Maxi, i sure wish i could have bought one of the Rugers before they halted production of them, they cost a small fortune now days when you see one, kinda like a nice Pre 64 Winchester

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I've been cutting down .444 cases and .303 Brit cases. I also use a cutdown .410 shotgun wad for the shot. Top it off by crimping a piece of card stock, cut to size, over the shot, and a few dribbles of candle wax to hold it in place.
    this is what I was looking for, thank you. what do I have to do to the 303 brit brass to load for my 44 mag?

Boolit Master

I have some in process. I found that i needed to thin the rim, and reduce the diameter slightly so they fit my Ruger SBH.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 03-11-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add make/model
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    this is what I was looking for, thank you. what do I have to do to the 303 brit brass to load for my 44 mag?
    Cut it slightly shorter than cylinder length and expand it. It has been so long since I did cylinder length loads for the .45 Colt, I don't remember if you have to turn the rims narrower or not. You can check that when you have the cylinder out.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    SOMEWHERE................ I read that their is another rifle case that uses the same shellholder and has the same diameter as a 44 mag case. looking to make longer brass for shot loads for my ruger sbh revolver.
    Slightly larger rim, but the .30-40 Krag case diameter is perfect.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance
    I've done it with 444 Marlin brass, I have also done the 303 route. Using 303 the case is very thick, which.....reduces payload a bit.

Using the 444 Marlin requires a lathe to turn down the body right next to the rim. I can get a 30% increase in payload using the 444 Marlin, but I can't remember how much I got in the 303 British.

I use a special die for the crimp though, it's called a notching die which cycles great in rifles.

Hardest part when coming up with ideas.....trying to come up with a cheap parent case, it's not as easy as you may think.

After thinking a bit about what 54bore wrote, that's a case I didn't even consider. Guess I'll need to try the 445 case since it's even cheaper than what I'm using right now.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-11-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I've done it with 444 Marlin brass, I have also done the 303 route. Using 303 the case is very thick, which.....reduces payload a bit.

Using the 444 Marlin requires a lathe to turn down the body right next to the rim. I can get a 30% increase in payload using the 444 Marlin, but I can't remember how much I got in the 303 British.

I use a special die for the crimp though, it's called a notching die which cycles great in rifles.

Hardest part when coming up with ideas.....trying to come up with a cheap parent case, it's not as easy as you may think.

After thinking a bit about what 54bore wrote, that's a case I didn't even consider. Guess I'll need to try the 445 case since it's even cheaper than what I'm using right now.
    I would think a guy could contact Starline and ask about buying 50 or so brass instead of 250, wouldn't hurt as bad on the wallet, but 152.50 for 250 brass is actually a darn decent deal! And Starline is top of the line brass

Perma-Banned
    I just checked midway and they have the .445 Super Mag Starline Brass for .50 Cents a piece, 49 something for 100

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I just checked midway and they have the .445 Super Mag Starline Brass for .50 Cents a piece, 49 something for 100

I have a thread in the WTB section for the 445 Brass. I was going to post a thread on making them from 444 Marlin brass till you posted about 445 brass. The 445 brass is even cheaper than 444 brass, but I only have 444 Marlin brass here at the moment. I want to compare the payload side by side before I go diving into this conversion. The 414 Super Mag I use for the 41Mag shot load came out nice.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Perma-Banned
    I have a thread in the WTB section for the 445 Brass. I was going to post a thread on making them from 444 Marlin brass till you posted about 445 brass. The 445 brass is even cheaper than 444 brass, but I only have 444 Marlin brass here at the moment. I want to compare the payload side by side before I go diving into this conversion. The 414 Super Mag I use for the 41Mag shot load came out nice.
    GRUMPA, Keep us updated and let us know how it turns out, hope you can find a few pieces of brass to try! No need buying a bag of it until you know how it's gonna work? I bet the .445 Super Mag works perfect!

Cast Hunter

What's your load and process for the .414 Super mag / .41 mag load?
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

In Remembrance
    I'll make a thread later on that. Keep in mind that I use a special form die called a notching die when I close the case mouth.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master
    I used R-P brass for the .303 British. I cut it down to just smaller than the length of the cylinders on my Ruger NM super Blackhawk, which turned out to be 1.680".
    I just measured the rims of some R-P .44 Mag brass, and they measured .054" thick.
    The rims of the R-P .303 Brit brass measured .059" thick. I didn't have any trouble with the cylinder turning, no binding, using that brass.

Hope this helps!

Don

Boolit Master
    WELL HERE IS AN UPDATE, A FELLOW SHOOTER GAVE ME ABOUT 60 PIECES OF 303 BRIT BRASS. THE RIM DIA. NEEDS TO BE TURNED DOWN A BIT, TIL THEN i CANNOT SEE IF THE CYL. WILL SPIN FREELY. ONCE I CUT THESE TO LENGTH, DO I NEED TO EXPAND THESE ANY?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast