Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is Canister Powder! 25 lbs in one can

This is Canister Powder! 25 lbs in one can

25 pounds in one can. I've been using Black Powder, unsupervised, since about the age of 9. I'll be 60 in august. I've never been nervous till now. I've opened the canister and packaged 12 pounds so far and It has not been fun.

Boolit Grand Master

That's one BIG firecracker you got there! I'd probably seperate into one pounders too.
    Charter Member #148

When I was a youngster there was a fellow nearby who sold black powder by the brown paper grocery sack full. I remember repackaging it into one gallon glass vinegar jars, which my Mom saved for me. I later learned this was a dangerous way to store black powder (it seemed perfect at the time). Nowadays I get mine from a fellow in Culpeper, VA, who won't sell more than 50 pounds per car (five guys can ride together and get 10 pounds each, or I can go alone and get 50 pounds for myself).

Boolit Master

I might repackage and store it , I would not sweat the repackage , just use non sparking tools , more for convenience in reuse in smaller cans .
    Nice to see the older containers , back when they allowed bigger containers . If you do not have enough cans , leaving the rest in its original should be fine .

Boolit Master
    Does it give an F granulation? It looks like a can of blasting powder to me. I have found empty ones in places where they did blasting for construction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Does it give an F granulation? It looks like a can of blasting powder to me. I have found empty ones in places where they did blasting for construction.
    Never seen the big cans of blasting powder, but the can in the pic says "Black Rifle Powder". I'd love to have an empty can for display.

The top is marked Dupont/Superfine/ Gunpowder/FFg

I might repackage and store it , I would not sweat the repackage , just use non sparking tools , more for convenience in reuse in smaller cans .
    Nice to see the older containers , back when they allowed bigger containers . If you do not have enough cans , leaving the rest in its original should be fine .

Have you ever repackaged 25 lbs of Black Powder? Watched the evil dust slowly and luxuriously drifting upwards as each can was refilled, looking around to see what unseen hazard was lurking nearby nearby? One thing goes wrong and all my troubles would be over for the duration.

I suspect this powder might go back to 1959 as there was a code painted on the can: "02-59". I'll be testing it soon in trapdoors as well as my muskets and I'll give a burn/range report.

If anyone really lusts after the can I'd happily trade it off for 30 cal gaschecks.

Maybe it's just me but this gave me pause for thought.

All the best from Maine,

Mark

Boolit Master

Maybe it's just me but this gave me pause for thought.
    It would me also!
    one thing goes wrong and all my troubles would be over for the duration.
    For sure.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Have you ever repackaged 25 lbs of Black Powder? Watched the evil dust slowly and luxuriously drifting upwards as each can was refilled, looking around to see what unseen hazard was lurking nearby nearby? One thing goes wrong and all my troubles would be over for the duration.
    You mean like a refrigerator motor starting up? Sounds like a job best done outdoors!

Take care (I mean it!), Tom

Boolit Master

Amazing thing dust is as an explosive mixture , as evidenced by grain elevator explosions , done outside away from electric motors and open fires and without smoking and I would have no worries.
    I would love to have a 25 lb can , but alas the state I live in only allows us 4 lbs in our residences , but yes I have repackaged gun powder before about 120 lbs from the original containers it was sold to me in , had to buy my own cans , 1 gallon size and transfer it all to be split up.
    Then refer to the black powder making thread and after your batch is made up it is packaged in used 1 lb cans , outside away from any source of ignition, safety is of the utmost concern , and the dust is best not stirred up indoors , vacuum cleaners and powder do not play well together.
    So did you have enough containers to split it up to? And how many checks for the can?

So did you have enough containers to split it up to? And how many checks for the can?

Got half way through and ran out of cans. I'll be picking more up on Tuesday from a guy that has cases of empty cans.

If I got 1k of Daryl's 30 gal checks sent to me and the cost of shipping the can I'd be more than a happy camper. Truth is I need to pay it forward. I paid 20 bucks for the 25 pound can. I was getting concerned too because last year I went through more than 10 lbs. of black powder and plan on burning more than that this year. If the gods are real good to me it is conceivable that I might get a 30 lb keg from the same source. I'm gonna take your advice and package the rest of the stuff outdoors.

What do you mean it's dangerous, just ask an "old" blaster? Wait a minute there are not any "old" blasters!!!
    CD

Boolit Master
    I'd love to have the can, but I imagine shipping up here would be more than I'd be willing to pay for an empty can. Thanks though.

Boolit Master

That is a heck of a price for that much, I bought 25 lbs in 1 lb cans from mcgee out of Mississippi, back around 1999 , to split up with family, shipping would be the pits on the can , but would make a great conversation piece .
    Someone in swapping and selling might be interested , finding a buy like that makes shooting a whole lot cheaper , when you are shooting that much .
    Getting ready to load up some for the trapdoors myself, and the reproduction enfield muskets , so much fun to shoot the real black in the trapdoor .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    That is a heck of a price for that much, I bought 25 lbs in 1 lb cans from mcgee out of Mississippi, back around 1999 , to split up with family, shipping would be the pits on the can , but would make a great conversation piece .
    Someone in swapping and selling might be interested , finding a buy like that makes shooting a whole lot cheaper , when you are shooting that much .
    Getting ready to load up some for the trapdoors myself, and the reproduction enfield muskets , so much fun to shoot the real black in the trapdoor .
    20 plus years ago I worked at the gun store Dale McGee Co-owned. Interesting fella for sure. Anyway- he fell over dead of a massive heart attack about 5 years ago. I dont know what happened to his Goex distributorship
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

I always wondered what happened to him , I tried some years ago to get in touch with him again but was unable to , having bought powder and some black powder revolvers from him .

Banned

How many gas checks do you need? I have a lot of aluminum ones I sell here on CB and would love that can.

Send me a PM!

Josh

Best Saturday morning in a long time. this job was a lot more pleasant outside, even with the bugs. di I already tell everyone that I gave 20 bucks for the whole can?

Boolit Bub
    If you didn't rotate the original can several times to redistribute the dust/smaller granulations before repackaging make sure you label the last cans out of the container. It will be finer due to settling over the years. Nice investment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Best Saturday morning in a long time. this job was a lot more pleasant outside, even with the bugs. di I already tell everyone that I gave 20 bucks for the whole can?

$20bucks for 25pounds, you got ripped off Mark! I count 23 one pounders. What a score!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast